    Do you always need a re-boot disk to re-install Windows 98?

    Thanks

    Tom

    twfsa, Jul 14, 2005

  2. twfsa

    Robert Baer Guest

    twfsa wrote:
    > If I thought I had a corrupt file on my hard drive, and wanted to sweep it
    > clean and start all over, and made a re-boot disk before sweeping the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > If I used that re-boot disk to do a new install of Windows 98, would that
    > corrupt file that I thought was there, be on that re-boot disk?
    >
    > And by useing that re-boot disk did I re infect the hard drive, before the
    > windows install?
    >
    > Do you always need a re-boot disk to re-install Windows 98?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tom

    If you do a new install, then nonr of the programs, including
    personal data will be avaiable.
    You are going to boot from the CD for the install anyway...

    Robert Baer, Jul 14, 2005

  3. When you say you 'made a re-boot disk' I assume you mean a floppy diskette.
    You can wipe the hard drive using this diskette but you can not install
    Windows 98 from it.

    After wiping the HDD you will have to boot up with CD Rom access and insert
    your Windows CD. If you do not have the option of booting with CD-Rom access
    there is a workaround so get back to us if that's the case.

    Depending on what corrupt file you thought you had, it could be there on the
    boot diskette, but this is unlikely unless it's a virus - all the diskette
    contains are a few DOS system files. If you are in any doubt about this
    possibility, scrap the diskette and download a fresh one from
    www.bootdisk.com

    Hope all goes well.

    John

    John Rampling, Jul 14, 2005
  4. twfsa

    Seth Guest

    Yeh hi Buddy
    Theres a great computer support website if noone can seem to help ya, it is
    http://computerchatcommunity.bigpondhosting.com last time i checked,
    They are free and have great services

    Thanks,
    Seth