Windows 98 machine won't access Internet or local shared devices on startup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ture Magnusson, Jun 20, 2005.

  1. Setup:
    D-Link DI-924 wireless router, connected to Internet through broadband
    (ethernet cable) connection.
    Problem machine: Semi-old HP notebook with Windows 98 SE and D-Link DWL-G650
    wireless network card.
    Other machines in network: Stationary Win XP connected with cable to router,
    Notebook Win XP connected to router with DWL-G650 wireless card.

    Problem:
    When I boot the Win 98 machine, the D-Link "Meter" icon shows an OK
    connection, and WINIPCFG shows OK values, but (usually) I can't use Internet
    Exploser to access google.com. Neither can I double-click "Network" to see
    the shared devices in my workgroup.
    If I open D-Link's utility on the problem machine and click "Rescan", it
    re-finds the wireless network. Internet and local network items work OK
    after that.

    How can I make Windows 98 connect correctly to the network so that it works
    directly without having to do a manual "Rescan"?

    With hope,
    Ture Magnusson,
    Karlstad, Sweden

    Ture Magnusson, Jun 20, 2005

  2. Ture Magnusson

    Clark Guest

    Have you set up a Profile for your network? If you haven't, go ahead and do
    that. Look for a setting in there that says something like connect
    automatically or some such verbiage.

    Clark

    Clark, Jun 20, 2005

  3. Clark,

    Thanks, but I really don't know how to set up network profiles.

    If you believe that setting up such a profile would solve the problem,
    could you please be more specific on how and what I have to do?

    Best regards,
    Ture

    Ture Magnusson, Jun 21, 2005
  4. Ture Magnusson

    Clark Guest

    Whenever you see a wireless network, you have the option of setting it up on
    a permanent basis. That way, all your settings, like WEP, stay in the
    profile. You may already have one, but if you don't, look on page 17 of
    your manual, under "Site Survey" on the wireless utility. After you have
    the profile set up it will remember the settings for that profile and
    hopefully it will give you the option of connecting to it automatically.
    Make sure you enter the SSID of your network.

    Looking at your manual, you may have already set your network in the default
    entries, so you may not need a profile for your home network. I was just
    guessing at which manual to look up since there seems to be several
    revisions of your router. Anyway I would think if you had a permanent entry
    for your network, that it would not have to scan each time. It does take a
    little time for a wireless card to lock on, so don't rush it, just let it do
    its thing for a while to see if it finds your network by itself.

    Clark, Jun 21, 2005