    the OS 'coz this pc was given to me and have some stuff I don't want to
    change just yet. Where can I find the fix for this. Thanks.

    skydog

    Skydog, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Skydog

    GG PYNDANSKI Guest

    its called windows xp and it doesnt really change anything. you get get the
    upgrade for $99 at amazon.com. its a good fix. you should take my advice

    GG PYNDANSKI, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Skydog

    mark mandel Guest

    "Skydog" <> wrote in message
    > My win98 keeps rebooting and shutting down. I really don't want to change
    > the OS 'coz this pc was given to me and have some stuff I don't want to
    > change just yet. Where can I find the fix for this. Thanks.
    >
    > skydog

    This could be software or hardware related so there could be a variety of
    causes(i.e., overheated CPU, failing power supply, insufficient RAM for the
    number of applications you're running, etc.). So just changing the OS alone
    is probably not advisable if you don't know exactly what the cause is.

    You could start by going to the Microsoft Knowledge Base or Google and
    typing in the symptoms to get more info.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Skydog

    Joe Guest

    First thing I would do is make sure its not a virus.
    Joe

    Joe, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Skydog

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > It could also be a virus. I don't recall the name, but we had one last

    year
    > that rebooted machines repeatedly.

    That's true or even a trojan. So in addition to an anti-virus scan, run a
    program like Spybot S & D(search and destroy).

    Mark Mandell, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Skydog

    Pepperoni Guest

    Pepperoni, Jan 22, 2004
  7. Skydog

    Wizard Guest

    Nonsense ... Never change or upgrade the OS to solve problems. It will
    only multiply your problems!

    Wizard, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Skydog

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:37:10 GMT, "Mark Mandell"
    <> wrote:

    >"Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    >> It could also be a virus. I don't recall the name, but we had one last

    >year
    >> that rebooted machines repeatedly.

    >That's true or even a trojan. So in addition to an anti-virus scan, run a
    >program like Spybot S & D(search and destroy).

    Which virii cause a reboot?

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    If the cheese isn't yours...its Nacho cheese, man!

    Trent©, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Skydog

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:55:11 GMT, "Skydog" <>
    wrote:

    >My win98 keeps rebooting and shutting down. I really don't want to change
    >the OS 'coz this pc was given to me and have some stuff I don't want to
    >change just yet. Where can I find the fix for this. Thanks.
    >
    >skydog

    Operating systems don't reboot...computers do.

    You need to find out if the problem is with the hardware...or with the
    software.

    How long does it take to reboot after you start up the computer?
    Create a rescue disk...boot into it...let the machine sit there for a
    couple of hours...or whatever time it usually took to notice the
    problem.

    Then get back to us.

    Trent©, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Skydog

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Trent©" <> wrote in message
    > >"Pepperoni" <> wrote in message
    > >> It could also be a virus. I don't recall the name, but we had one last

    > >year
    > >> that rebooted machines repeatedly.

    > Which virii cause a reboot?

    Do you get an error message, or a warning of timed shut down?
    There are several, and I don't recall them all.
    lovsan and blaster come to mind---may be varients of the same virus.
    ---------------------------
    W32/Lovsan.worm.a
    Aliases
    W32.Blaster.E.Worm (NAV), W32/Blaster-E (Sophos)
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100547.htm
    Symptoms
    - Presence of unusual TFTP* files
    - Presence of the file msblast.exe in the WINDOWS SYSTEM32 directory
    - Error messages about the RPC service failing (causes system to reboot)
    - The worm randomly opens 20 sequential TCP ports for listening. This is a
    constantly revolving range (ie. 2500-2520, 2501-2521, 2502-2522). The
    purpose of this action is unknown
    ------------------
    W32/Lovsan.worm.a

    Pepperoni, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Skydog

    Helen Guest

    And an error in the config system file can throw it into a loop. Try
    inserting a floppy and get it to the
    C:\ prompt then edit the config.sys file .. or autoexec.bat. I
    know this can happen because I've been there
    and it wasn't a virus. However if it just occurred 'out of the blue'
    (meaning you didn't change any settings or
    install any programs ... then it could be a virus. If you get to the
    C:\ type scanreg /restore
    NOTICE the spacing and type it EXACTLY as I have... then select a
    previous date from the list provided,
    reboot and voila! This is for Win98/ 98SE and make no comment
    regarding other OS's. Good luck.

    Helen

    Helen, Jan 22, 2004
  12. Skydog

    Pepperoni Guest

    OK, this week a virus has appeared that is giving people trouble, This
    virus not only causes reboots, but blocks anti virus programs. It has hit
    within the last few days. I think it may be a reappearance of an old virus.
    Can you visit antivirus pages? Do you find IE closing, or reboots.

    Try running stinger. It cleans a long list of about 35 nasties, and is
    updated regularly. (Last update Jan 18, 2004)

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Follow the instructions. since this program is updated regularly, an older
    version on your pc may be out of date.

    Pepperoni, Jan 22, 2004
  13. I had this problem with Windows XP. It turned out to be the power connector
    from the power supply to motherboard was slowly literally burning it. I
    suspect there was either dust between the connections or was not completely
    secure. It drove me crazy as I thought it was software as I had
    disconnected all my hardware...except the hard drive. I did even replace
    the hard drive.

    Just something else to think about,
    Michael

    Michael Brown, Jan 25, 2004
  14. Skydog

    Skydog Guest

    It starts with scan disk-->seeing Win98 logo for about a minute then goes
    black for about 2sec. and restarts back to scan disk again. It can't get to
    the desktop at all.

    Skydog, Jan 25, 2004
  15. Skydog

    Skydog Guest

    tried this and did not change anything in the system. same thing happens, PC
    starts at scandisk-->to seeing Win98 logo-->black screen for about 2sec. and
    reboots to scan disk again.

    It was not like this when the initial symptom was noted. My kids were using
    this before and perhaps did not realized what was going and just told me the
    PC was not working right. First it would reboot and able to see the desktop
    and click on something I want to open and then suddenly reboots to scandisk
    and starts all over again. However, as time progressed the time it stays on
    the desktop got less and less and now I can't even see the desktop anymore
    just immediately reboots to scan disk.

    Thank.

    Skydog, Jan 25, 2004
  16. Skydog

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:39:54 GMT, "Skydog" <>
    wrote:

    >It starts with scan disk-->seeing Win98 logo for about a minute then goes
    >black for about 2sec. and restarts back to scan disk again. It can't get to
    >the desktop at all.

    Hold down the Cntrl key as it boots.

    Trent©, Jan 26, 2004