Windows 98 gets a reprieve

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com, Jan 13, 2004.

  1. Microsoft reverses decision to halt support for older systems

    Tuesday, January 13, 2004 Posted: 9:41 AM EST (1441 GMT)
    [Microsoft reverses decision to halt support for older systems]

    REDMOND, Washington (AP) -- Microsoft reversed a decision to stop
    support for some older Windows operating systems, saying Monday some
    customers in developing countries were not aware of the change.

    Support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 S.E. had been scheduled to
    expire Friday, and for Windows Millennium Edition on December 31.
    Under Monday's decision, the software giant would maintain paid phone
    support for the operating systems and review security threats to
    determine whether it will provide customers with security patches
    through June 30, 2006.

    "While we've done an excellent job communicating our life cycle policy
    for most of our products, we have found that we could use more time to
    communicate those guidelines in a handful of smaller markets,"
    including Kazakhstan, the Ivory Coast and Slovenia, Microsoft
    spokesman Matt Pilla said.

    About 20 percent of all Windows-based computers still run Windows 95
    or 98, according to International Data Corp., a technology market
    research firm. Support for Windows 95 ended in 2001.

    Since October 15, 2002, Microsoft has offered seven years of support
    for its new products. Before that, it offered four.
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/01/13/windows.support.ap/index.html

    texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com, Jan 13, 2004

  2. texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:57:54 -0600, texan wrote:

    > Support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 S.E. had been scheduled to
    > expire Friday, and for Windows Millennium Edition on December 31.
    > Under Monday's decision, the software giant would maintain paid phone
    > support for the operating systems and review security threats to
    > determine whether it will provide customers with security patches
    > through June 30, 2006.

    This is because Micro$oft doesn't want to loose 20% of it's income
    generated from supporting it's products.

    > "While we've done an excellent job communicating our life cycle policy
    > for most of our products, we have found that we could use more time to
    > communicate those guidelines in a handful of smaller markets,"
    > including Kazakhstan, the Ivory Coast and Slovenia, Microsoft
    > spokesman Matt Pilla said.

    Of course this isn't counting people in those markets within the USA, the
    UK, Australia, New Zealand, and all the rest of the Western world and
    Europe who have chosen not to purchase another version off Micro$oft
    Windows.

    > About 20 percent of all Windows-based computers still run Windows 95
    > or 98, according to International Data Corp., a technology market
    > research firm. Support for Windows 95 ended in 2001.

    Funny that, but I'm looking at two computers - parts of my network of four
    computers - which used to have Micro$oft Windows, but now have versions of
    Linux. Are those machines counted? And how would Micro$oft know? I
    certainly haven't told Micro$oft that I've trashed it's software on those
    boxen...

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Jan 13, 2004

  3. texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:57:54 -0600, texan wrote:
    >
    > > Support for Windows 98 and Windows 98 S.E. had been scheduled to
    > > expire Friday, and for Windows Millennium Edition on December 31.
    > > Under Monday's decision, the software giant would maintain paid phone
    > > support for the operating systems and review security threats to
    > > determine whether it will provide customers with security patches
    > > through June 30, 2006.

    > This is because Micro$oft doesn't want to loose 20% of it's income
    > generated from supporting it's products.
    >

    > > "While we've done an excellent job communicating our life cycle policy
    > > for most of our products, we have found that we could use more time to
    > > communicate those guidelines in a handful of smaller markets,"
    > > including Kazakhstan, the Ivory Coast and Slovenia, Microsoft
    > > spokesman Matt Pilla said.

    > Of course this isn't counting people in those markets within the USA, the
    > UK, Australia, New Zealand, and all the rest of the Western world and
    > Europe who have chosen not to purchase another version off Micro$oft
    > Windows.
    >

    > > About 20 percent of all Windows-based computers still run Windows 95
    > > or 98, according to International Data Corp., a technology market
    > > research firm. Support for Windows 95 ended in 2001.

    > Funny that, but I'm looking at two computers - parts of my network of four
    > computers - which used to have Micro$oft Windows, but now have versions of
    > Linux. Are those machines counted? And how would Micro$oft know? I
    > certainly haven't told Micro$oft that I've trashed it's software on those
    > boxen...
    >

    > Lennier

    All very simple. For when your computer flooded the newsgroups with old
    posts, one can be 100% sure that it wasn't a MS product that caused the big
    problem.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 13, 2004
  4. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > All very simple. For when your computer flooded the newsgroups with old
    > posts, one can be 100% sure that it wasn't a MS product that caused the big
    > problem.

    nice.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004
  5. texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:17:01 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> All very simple. For when your computer flooded the newsgroups with
    >> old
    >> posts, one can be 100% sure that it wasn't a MS product that caused the
    >> big problem.

    > nice.

    Excuse me, but *I* hit send and sent those messages. I myself sent them.
    No "product" caused any problem.

    AND, FYI, the group was not "flooded" - and neither was it DOS'd nor
    spammed.

    Lennier

    Lennier, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Lennier wrote:
    > Excuse me, but *I* hit send and sent those messages. I myself sent them.
    > No "product" caused any problem.
    > AND, FYI, the group was not "flooded" - and neither was it DOS'd nor
    > spammed.

    ~300 messages wasn't it?
    in less than a day?
    I'd consider that to be a flood of messages.

    You did it yourself? so incompetence rather than bad software :)
    well done.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 14, 2004
  7. texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com

    Lennier Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:44:54 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > You did it yourself? so incompetence rather than bad software :)
    > well done.

    Yup - Thanks - anytime.

    Lennier

    --
    "When dealing with the Religious Right one should remember that 'truth'
    is not a part of the rules of their game."

    Lennier, Jan 14, 2004
  8. texan@texas..removethisbit.usa.com

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:43:33 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:17:01 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >>> All very simple. For when your computer flooded the newsgroups with
    >>> old
    >>> posts, one can be 100% sure that it wasn't a MS product that caused the
    >>> big problem.

    >> nice.

    >Excuse me, but *I* hit send and sent those messages. I myself sent them.
    >No "product" caused any problem.
    >
    >AND, FYI, the group was not "flooded" - and neither was it DOS'd nor
    >spammed.

    You seem pissed Lennier, did you forget the smiley :)

    Bret, Jan 14, 2004