    for somethingmore powerful THAT WILL WORK WITH WINDOWS 98?

    Thanks to all for your help!

    Smokey

    Smokey, Aug 17, 2007

  2. Smokey

    babaloo Guest

    If your computer can handle it the best software to do what you want would
    be to upgrade to XP. Almost any PIII or better with 256mbs of RAM can handle
    it.
    In truth no software is very good at fixing registry problems.
    Hardware conflicts are actually rare if your bios is set up to allow Windows
    to assign resources. When USB 1 was new there were often conflicts if the
    USB ports were assigned to share IRQs with other devices, particularly
    network cards. This just does not occur with XP and more modern motherboards
    but could be an issue for you.
    I do not know if anti-spyware and anti-malware programs are compatible with
    Win98 but you may have acquired some of these nasties.
    Lastly, if your computer is slowing, Win 98 must be manually defragged and
    you must look through all the garf that loads at boot up and delete what you
    do not need.

    babaloo, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Smokey

    Robert Baer Guest

    babaloo wrote:

    > If your computer can handle it the best software to do what you want would
    > be to upgrade to XP. Almost any PIII or better with 256mbs of RAM can handle
    > it.
    > In truth no software is very good at fixing registry problems.
    > Hardware conflicts are actually rare if your bios is set up to allow Windows
    > to assign resources. When USB 1 was new there were often conflicts if the
    > USB ports were assigned to share IRQs with other devices, particularly
    > network cards. This just does not occur with XP and more modern motherboards
    > but could be an issue for you.
    > I do not know if anti-spyware and anti-malware programs are compatible with
    > Win98 but you may have acquired some of these nasties.
    > Lastly, if your computer is slowing, Win 98 must be manually defragged and
    > you must look through all the garf that loads at boot up and delete what you
    > do not need.

    AVG and SpySweeper are both compatible.

    Robert Baer, Aug 19, 2007