Windows 98 Computer problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cuanto, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Cuanto

    Cuanto Guest

    Hey All,

    This is my second post in reference to a problem computer that I have in my
    shop that a customer has brought in. They had this computer hooked up to a
    home network, connected to a Linksys DSL Router. One day they said it just
    stopped connecting to the internet. They brought the computer in for
    repair. I checked the obvious stuff, firewalls, proxies, p2p software,
    static IP's, and pretty much everything else I could think of. I downloaded
    and re-installed all of the network protocols, winsock, dial-up networking,
    removed and re-installed from different source other than what was on the
    computer. The computer will ping the DSL router, It will ping other
    computers on the network. It can access files on other computers on the
    network. Other computers can ping it on the LAN. Installed new network
    card, same problem. I have recreated his network here at the shop, same
    model of Linksys DSL router, same ISP, etc. The computer quickly and
    readily obtains an IP address from the router. The gateway is the router,
    not statically assigned (but I did try that). I have seen a problems like
    this before, but there was always some program in the win.ini or startup or
    system.ini that you could see that was causing the problem. In my previous
    post, some people had responded with some things to try, most I have already
    tried previously. Thanks for any assistance that you can give!

    Cuanto, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Cuanto

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:19:44 -0500, Cuanto wrote:

    > Hey All,
    >
    > This is my second post in reference to a problem computer that I have in my
    > shop that a customer has brought in. They had this computer hooked up to a
    > home network, connected to a Linksys DSL Router. One day they said it just
    > stopped connecting to the internet. They brought the computer in for
    > repair. I checked the obvious stuff, firewalls, proxies, p2p software,
    > static IP's, and pretty much everything else I could think of. I downloaded
    > and re-installed all of the network protocols, winsock, dial-up networking,
    > removed and re-installed from different source other than what was on the
    > computer. The computer will ping the DSL router, It will ping other
    > computers on the network. It can access files on other computers on the
    > network. Other computers can ping it on the LAN. Installed new network
    > card, same problem. I have recreated his network here at the shop, same
    > model of Linksys DSL router, same ISP, etc. The computer quickly and
    > readily obtains an IP address from the router. The gateway is the router,
    > not statically assigned (but I did try that). I have seen a problems like
    > this before, but there was always some program in the win.ini or startup or
    > system.ini that you could see that was causing the problem. In my previous
    > post, some people had responded with some things to try, most I have already
    > tried previously. Thanks for any assistance that you can give!

    Can you ping an IP address outside the router like 66.218.71.198 ?

    Meat Plow, Aug 20, 2003

  3. Cuanto

    Cuanto Guest

    I can ping that IP address from this computer. I tried it the other day
    with yahoo's IP, but it wouldn't do it, but is able to ping the address you
    listed as well as the local ISP's DNS server. So it's a DNS problem then?

    Thanks! Meat?

    Cuanto, Aug 20, 2003
  4. I have seen this before. The browser itself is corrupt. I had one that would
    not connect to the internet with IE at all. But I was able to connect to the
    internet with MSN explorer! Reloading windows fixed the problem with IE.

    "Cuanto" <> wrote in message
    > Hey All,
    >
    > This is my second post in reference to a problem computer that I have in

    my
    > shop that a customer has brought in. They had this computer hooked up to

    > home network, connected to a Linksys DSL Router. One day they said it

    just
    > stopped connecting to the internet. They brought the computer in for
    > repair. I checked the obvious stuff, firewalls, proxies, p2p software,
    > static IP's, and pretty much everything else I could think of. I

    downloaded
    > and re-installed all of the network protocols, winsock, dial-up

    networking,
    > removed and re-installed from different source other than what was on the
    > computer. The computer will ping the DSL router, It will ping other
    > computers on the network. It can access files on other computers on the
    > network. Other computers can ping it on the LAN. Installed new network
    > card, same problem. I have recreated his network here at the shop, same
    > model of Linksys DSL router, same ISP, etc. The computer quickly and
    > readily obtains an IP address from the router. The gateway is the router,
    > not statically assigned (but I did try that). I have seen a problems like
    > this before, but there was always some program in the win.ini or startup

    or
    > system.ini that you could see that was causing the problem. In my

    previous
    > post, some people had responded with some things to try, most I have

    already
    > tried previously. Thanks for any assistance that you can give!

    ---

    BananaPannaPoe, Aug 20, 2003