Windows 98 Booting Stopped by Illegal Op Message?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
    running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a friend, I
    installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
    packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it somehow
    installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it was
    installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
    Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the problem
    popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the point
    where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
    message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal operation
    and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
    "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
    0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried booting
    in safe mode but got the same error message.

    Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer to
    boot?

    Thanks so much.

    John

    John, Nov 28, 2004

  2. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    |I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
    | running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a friend, I
    | installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
    | packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
    somehow
    | installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it was
    | installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
    | Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
    problem
    | popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the point
    | where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
    | message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
    operation
    | and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
    | "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
    | 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
    booting
    | in safe mode but got the same error message.
    |
    | Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer to
    | boot?
    |
    | Thanks so much.

    First thing I'd do is see if it will boot in safe mode (press F8 after
    memory test/drive check and POST end, Windows starts with a boot menu). If
    it does, uninstall AOL in safe mode, and reboot. And tell your friend they
    really could do better than using AOhelL for their Internet service.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Thanks, Tim, but I tried that. Same error message pops up. That's what I
    intended to do, uninstall AOL. But I can't complete the booting process,
    even in safe mode.

    John, Nov 28, 2004
  4. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Ouch. Well, let me think about it for a bit...how about this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q237888/

    "John" <> wrote in message
    | Thanks, Tim, but I tried that. Same error message pops up. That's what I
    | intended to do, uninstall AOL. But I can't complete the booting process,
    | even in safe mode.
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "John" <> wrote in message
    | > |I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
    | > | running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a
    friend,
    | > | installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
    | > | packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
    | > somehow
    | > | installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it
    was
    | > | installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
    | > | Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
    | > problem
    | > | popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the
    point
    | > | where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
    | > | message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
    | > operation
    | > | and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
    | > | "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
    | > | 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
    | > booting
    | > | in safe mode but got the same error message.
    | > |
    | > | Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer
    | > | boot?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks so much.
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 28, 2004
  5. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Sorry - you said Dell - that was for Compaq...
    There are other articles at MS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q222952/ (Novell Netware)

    Worst case, you can try some other fixes: I believe there is a system file
    checker in W98. But my W98 system is down. If I get it going, I'll check. Of
    course, you could restore a previous system registry. That may not help if
    the AOL install replaced files, not just buggered the registry. Final option
    is reinstall W98. Doing that without erasing the HD often fixes problems
    like this.

    I'm gonna go see if I can get that W98 system running again...good luck!

    "John" <> wrote in message
    | Thanks, Tim, but I tried that. Same error message pops up. That's what I
    | intended to do, uninstall AOL. But I can't complete the booting process,
    | even in safe mode.
    |
    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "John" <> wrote in message
    | > |I have an older Dell P100t desktop running Windows 98. At least it was
    | > | running W98. Yesterday, getting ready to give the computer to a
    friend,
    | > | installed AOL using a CD I got from a display in the post office. The
    | > | packaging said it was version 9.0. The installation went fine but it
    | > somehow
    | > | installed version 6.0 instead of 9.0. I guess it figured out that it
    was
    | > | installing on an older computer and decided 6.0 was most appropriate.
    | > | Anyway, the time cemae for the system to reboot and here's where the
    | > problem
    | > | popped up. On rebooting the process begain and continued up to the
    point
    | > | where my desktop and the task bar appeared, but then up pops and error
    | > | message that says Explorer. This program has performed an illegal
    | > operation
    | > | and will be shut down. Clicking details produced this
    | > | "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shell22.dll at
    | > | 0167:7fcefdd7." The booting process would not continue. I even tried
    | > booting
    | > | in safe mode but got the same error message.
    | > |
    | > | Can anyone helpo me to get beyond this problem and get this computer
    | > | boot?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks so much.
    | > |