    install a 120G hard disk and have Win 98 recognize it?

    Thanks for any input.

    B.

    Blaster, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Blaster

    Thor Guest

    "Blaster" <> wrote in message
    news:cnvns2$cun$...
    > Is ther a restricition on the size of Disk Drive Win 98 supports? Can I
    > install a 120G hard disk and have Win 98 recognize it?

    Yes you can, as long as your motherboard BIOS supports it as well. You may
    have trouble if you go over 128GB though, since that requires 48 bit LBA
    support, and Win98 doesn't have support for that, and most motherboards of
    that vintage also lack it. A 120GB will most certainly work with Win98
    though.

    Thor, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Blaster

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > Is ther a restricition on the size of Disk Drive Win 98 supports? Can I
    > > install a 120G hard disk and have Win 98 recognize it?

    > Yes you can, as long as your motherboard BIOS supports it as well. You may
    > have trouble if you go over 128GB though, since that requires 48 bit LBA
    > support, and Win98 doesn't have support for that, and most motherboards of
    > that vintage also lack it. A 120GB will most certainly work with Win98
    > though.

    My partner has a pc that runs twin 180's in win98SE no problem except
    that scandisk/defrag wont work :)

    Plato, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Blaster

    Thor Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is ther a restricition on the size of Disk Drive Win 98 supports? Can
    >> > install a 120G hard disk and have Win 98 recognize it?

    >> Yes you can, as long as your motherboard BIOS supports it as well. You
    >> may
    >> have trouble if you go over 128GB though, since that requires 48 bit LBA
    >> support, and Win98 doesn't have support for that, and most motherboards
    >> of
    >> that vintage also lack it. A 120GB will most certainly work with Win98
    >> though.

    > My partner has a pc that runs twin 180's in win98SE no problem except
    > that scandisk/defrag wont work :)

    ehhh, I'd still be leary of it. Has he filled either one completely to
    verify that all the data is readable and intact?

    Thor, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Blaster

    James Hanley Guest

    Blaster <> wrote in message news:<cnvns2$cun$>...
    > Is ther a restricition on the size of Disk Drive Win 98 supports? Can I
    > install a 120G hard disk and have Win 98 recognize it?
    >
    > Thanks for any input.
    >
    > B.

    yeah.
    you may have to flash your bios - free upgrade from your motherboard
    manufacturer's website.

    James Hanley, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Blaster

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > > My partner has a pc that runs twin 180's in win98SE no problem except
    > > that scandisk/defrag wont work :)

    > ehhh, I'd still be leary of it. Has he filled either one completely to
    > verify that all the data is readable and intact?

    I'd be leary also. I dont know how much space he is using. Personally
    for something
    that big I'd go for ntfs for sure. So what if it takes only a minute to
    delete a line
    in an .ini file using dos and fix your pc when using fat32. I'd rather
    spend hours doing a repair install [grin]

    Plato, Nov 24, 2004
  7. Blaster

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> > Is ther a restricition on the size of Disk Drive Win 98 supports? Can
    >> > install a 120G hard disk and have Win 98 recognize it?

    >> Yes you can, as long as your motherboard BIOS supports it as well. You
    >> may
    >> have trouble if you go over 128GB though, since that requires 48 bit LBA
    >> support, and Win98 doesn't have support for that, and most motherboards
    >> of
    >> that vintage also lack it. A 120GB will most certainly work with Win98
    >> though.

    > My partner has a pc that runs twin 180's in win98SE no problem except
    > that scandisk/defrag wont work :)

    Is this because the cluster sizes are too large?

    Mark Mandell, Nov 24, 2004
  8. Blaster

    Plato Guest

    Mark Mandell wrote:

    > Is this because the cluster sizes are too large?

    No, too many clusters. 98 can only do 4.1 million if I recall correctly
    if you want all the ms utils to run right. 132 gig gives you 4.1 million
    in 98 in fat32. Non ms utils will work tho in 98 to do things like
    scandisk if you are above 4.1

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/189.htm#4

    Plato, Nov 24, 2004