    I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    easily make partitions.

    Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    Uplink, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Uplink

    Pen Guest

    "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    news:YLc3g.191$o81.171@edtnps90...
    >I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing
    >Windows XP. Is that true?
    >
    > I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    > easily make partitions.
    >
    > Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    Not really. 98 only installs to the C drive. The best way is to install
    98 first then XP can be anywhere. 98 doesn't deal with NTFS.
    There are boot managers that will do what you want by hiding the other
    partition so they both can be C.

    Pen, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing Windows
    > XP. Is that true?
    >
    > I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    > easily make partitions.
    >
    > Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    The question would be why would be messing around with an outdated Win
    9'x O/S?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Uplink

    Dr Nick Guest

    "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    >I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing
    >Windows XP. Is that true?
    >
    > I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    > easily make partitions.
    >
    > Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    yeah, I'm sort of confuised why you'd even want 98 if your computer can run
    XP. if I was going to dual boot anything it might be 2000 for it's stability
    or mabye 2003 server just to mess around with it. but 98?

    -N

    Dr Nick, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Uplink

    Eli Coten Guest

    Dr Nick wrote:
    > "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    >> I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing
    >> Windows XP. Is that true?
    >>
    >> I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    >> easily make partitions.
    >>
    >> Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    > yeah, I'm sort of confuised why you'd even want 98 if your computer can run
    > XP. if I was going to dual boot anything it might be 2000 for it's stability
    > or mabye 2003 server just to mess around with it. but 98?
    >
    > -N

    I have some games that won't work on Windows XP. I dont' dual boot to
    Windows 98 because I don't want to mess about repartitioning and
    changing drive letters. my old computers that run 98 because they can't
    run XP are too slow to play these games.

    Eli Coten, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Uplink

    Robert Baer Guest

    Eli Coten wrote:
    > Dr Nick wrote:
    >
    >> "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing
    >>> Windows XP. Is that true?
    >>>
    >>> I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I
    >>> can easily make partitions.
    >>>
    >>> Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    >> yeah, I'm sort of confuised why you'd even want 98 if your computer
    >> can run XP. if I was going to dual boot anything it might be 2000 for
    >> it's stability or mabye 2003 server just to mess around with it. but 98?
    >>
    >> -N
    >>

    > I have some games that won't work on Windows XP. I dont' dual boot to
    > Windows 98 because I don't want to mess about repartitioning and
    > changing drive letters. my old computers that run 98 because they can't
    > run XP are too slow to play these games.

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups

    Win98/98SE will not be able to see NTFS drives.

    Robert Baer, Apr 26, 2006
  7. There was a workaround published in a computer magazine last year. The
    technique is difficult and involves two partitions both formatted to FAT32
    (which seems a retrograde step to me) and should be perfectly possible if
    you have Partition Magic.

    The ideal way to do what you want is to format your HDD then install Windows
    98 FIRST (on C:) and Windows XP second (on D:). This is fairly
    straightforward and the partitions can be created during the process,
    although I haven't done it myself. Alternatively if you want to try the
    workaround I could scan the article (about two thirds of a page) and let you
    have it. I would post it here but I would cause a furore for posting
    binaries.

    To answer your second question, Windows 98 FDISK will not see NTFS
    partitions, nor will any other feature on WIndows 98. Nothing stopping you
    converting a WinXP partition to NTFS later though AFAIK.

    John

    John Rampling, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Uplink

    Eli Coten Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:
    > Eli Coten wrote:
    >> Dr Nick wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Uplink" <> wrote in message

    >>> yeah, I'm sort of confuised why you'd even want 98 if your computer
    >>> can run XP. if I was going to dual boot anything it might be 2000 for
    >>> it's stability or mabye 2003 server just to mess around with it. but 98?
    >>>
    >>> -N
    >>>

    >> I have some games that won't work on Windows XP. I dont' dual boot to
    >> Windows 98 because I don't want to mess about repartitioning and
    >> changing drive letters. my old computers that run 98 because they
    >> can't run XP are too slow to play these games.

    >> News==----
    >> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    >> 120,000+ Newsgroups
    >> =----

    > Win98/98SE will not be able to see NTFS drives.

    - not unless you install an NTFS driver for Windows 98.

    Eli Coten, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:17:10
    +0100, in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of Eli Coten
    <> spewed the following:

    |Dr Nick wrote:
    |> "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    |>> I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing
    |>> Windows XP. Is that true?
    |>>
    |>> I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    |>> easily make partitions.
    |>>
    |>> Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?
    |>
    |> yeah, I'm sort of confuised why you'd even want 98 if your computer can run
    |> XP. if I was going to dual boot anything it might be 2000 for it's stability
    |> or mabye 2003 server just to mess around with it. but 98?
    |>
    |> -N
    |>

    |I have some games that won't work on Windows XP. I dont' dual boot to
    |Windows 98 because I don't want to mess about repartitioning and
    |changing drive letters. my old computers that run 98 because they can't
    |run XP are too slow to play these games.

    You can still run your old game in a virtual machine, if you have the
    power. Install 98 in a virtual machine and run the game.
    Simple.
    --
    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Uplink

    Robert Baer Guest

    John Rampling wrote:
    > There was a workaround published in a computer magazine last year. The
    > technique is difficult and involves two partitions both formatted to FAT32
    > (which seems a retrograde step to me) and should be perfectly possible if
    > you have Partition Magic.
    >
    > The ideal way to do what you want is to format your HDD then install Windows
    > 98 FIRST (on C:) and Windows XP second (on D:). This is fairly
    > straightforward and the partitions can be created during the process,
    > although I haven't done it myself. Alternatively if you want to try the
    > workaround I could scan the article (about two thirds of a page) and let you
    > have it. I would post it here but I would cause a furore for posting
    > binaries.
    >
    > To answer your second question, Windows 98 FDISK will not see NTFS
    > partitions, nor will any other feature on WIndows 98. Nothing stopping you
    > converting a WinXP partition to NTFS later though AFAIK.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "Uplink" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I heard from a friend you can install Windows 98 SE after installing
    >>Windows XP. Is that true?
    >>
    >>I have unused space on my hard drive and have Partition Magic 8 so I can
    >>easily make partitions.
    >>
    >>Also, will Windows 98 FDISK version see NTFS partitions?

    Correct; it is best to install Win98/98SE first then Win2K, as Win2K
    will create a boot manager that allows you to select which OS you want
    to boot to.
    When installing Win2K, one can opt for FAT32 or NTFS.
    PartitionMagic is the only way i know that works for converting NTFS
    to FAT32.

    Robert Baer, Apr 27, 2006
  11. Uplink

    Eli Coten Guest

    nos1eep wrote:
    > It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:17:10
    > +0100, in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of Eli Coten
    > <> spewed the following:
    >
    > |Dr Nick wrote:
    > |> "Uplink" <> wrote in message

    > |> yeah, I'm sort of confuised why you'd even want 98 if your computer can run
    > |> XP. if I was going to dual boot anything it might be 2000 for it's stability
    > |> or mabye 2003 server just to mess around with it. but 98?
    > |>
    > |> -N
    > |>

    > |I have some games that won't work on Windows XP. I dont' dual boot to
    > |Windows 98 because I don't want to mess about repartitioning and
    > |changing drive letters. my old computers that run 98 because they can't
    > |run XP are too slow to play these games.
    >
    > You can still run your old game in a virtual machine, if you have the
    > power. Install 98 in a virtual machine and run the game.
    > Simple.

    The games in question are probably too advanced and require 3D hardware
    acceleration. Are there any virtual machines that will provide a 3D
    Hardware accelerator emulation, or that would be fast enough. My
    experience with virtual machines is that they are comparatively slow.

    Thanks for your advice,
    Eli

    Eli Coten, Apr 27, 2006
  12. Uplink

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:03:17
    +0100, in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of Eli Coten
    <> spewed the following:

    |nos1eep wrote:
    |> It is further alleged that on or about Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:17:10
    |> +0100, in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of Eli Coten
    |> <> spewed the following:

    |> |I have some games that won't work on Windows XP. I dont' dual boot to
    |> |Windows 98 because I don't want to mess about repartitioning and
    |> |changing drive letters. my old computers that run 98 because they can't
    |> |run XP are too slow to play these games.
    |>
    |> You can still run your old game in a virtual machine, if you have the
    |> power. Install 98 in a virtual machine and run the game.
    |> Simple.
    |The games in question are probably too advanced and require 3D hardware
    |acceleration. Are there any virtual machines that will provide a 3D
    |Hardware accelerator emulation, or that would be fast enough. My
    |experience with virtual machines is that they are comparatively slow.

    Some interesting reading on the subject is here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/category/8225.aspx
    --
    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Apr 27, 2006
  13. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Because, I like older OSes. I like Windows 98 better than XP, shakesphere

    "Duane Arnold" <""Yep-Don't-Bother\"@You-got-it-right@.BET"> wrote in
    message news:IBf3g.8817$...

    Uplink, May 3, 2006
  14. Uplink

    Uplink Guest

    Becuase I like '98 better than XP. I always used 98 before I got a Dell

    Uplink, May 3, 2006
  15. Uplink

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Uplink wrote:
    > Because, I like older OSes. I like Windows 98 better than XP, shakesphere

    Well, I like NT based O/S(s) better than Win 9'x as those are the O/S(s)
    putting money in my pockets using the .Net programming technology,
    peanuts. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 3, 2006