Windows 95 & XP upgrade

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Angie Jones, Nov 15, 2006.

  1. Angie Jones

    Angie Jones Guest

    Hi All

    Here's something that's got me puzzled and I'd appreciate your comments on
    this.

    I recently passed my 70-271 exam and am well aware (as documented in the MOC
    2261 course book and Microsoft Press Self Study book) that you cannot
    upgrade directly to XP from Windows 95.

    However, during a recent 'Build your own PC' course that I took at my local
    college I was asked to install XP onto a wiped hard drive as part of my
    assessment. The install failed displaying a message that explained that "Set
    up could not find an operating system from which to upgrade from, please
    insert a disk containing the full program".
    I quickly concluded that I had been given an "Upgrade" disk and not the full
    version (all disks were unlabelled copies provided by the College under
    their Volume Licence). I queried this with the college tutor (who seemed
    clueless) and insisted that the disk should work. The installation failed
    again on the second attempt for the same reason (as I expected it to). The
    rest of the class also encountered the same problem.
    To remedy the situation, another college tutor instructed the class to
    insert a Windows 95 full version disk that he had available when the setup
    failure message appears. I thought to myself, this won't work as you can't
    upgrade from 95. Reluctantly, I tried it and to my amazement by placing the
    95 disk in the PC when the setup error appeared, set up continued onto the
    next stage (the select a partition where you would like to install XP
    stage). The tutor then instructed me to take out the 95 disk and replace it
    with the XP disk again and the rest of the installation continued as normal
    and the setup log recorded no errors.

    The rest of the class also were successful with this bizarre method.
    How is this possible?

    Angie
    MCP

    Angie Jones, Nov 15, 2006

  2. You are not upgrading from Windows 95.
    Instead, you are performing a Clean Installation using a Windows 95 CD as
    qualifying media.
    Windows 95 has always been a qualifier for using the Windows XP Upgrade.

    Upgrading Windows 95 to Windows XP is not possible.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Nov 15, 2006