    disk and type sys C: to *safely* correct the problem?

    Thanks,
    Aaron

    Aaron Sentell, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Aaron Sentell

    dave Guest

    Aaron Sentell wrote:
    > Let's say I have a Windows 95 machine whose O/S boot files, io.sys and
    > msdos.sys, have become corrupt. Can I boot to a Windows 98 startup
    > disk and type sys C: to *safely* correct the problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Aaron

    nope.

    dave, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Have you considered copying the needed files back onto the corrupt machine
    using a Win98 IO.Sys and MSDOS.SYS? They are essentially the same files, so
    it should work--at least it has for me.
    Hi, I was wondering if you had considered copying the needed files back onto
    your machine using the IO.Sys and MSDOS.SYS from a Win98 machine?
    simply get to your C:\ and use the DIR command
    if the files don't show up they are hidden, so type
    attrib -h -s io.sys, and hit enter
    then do an attrib -s -h MSDOS.SYS and again hit enter
    then C:\copy IO.SYS A:\
    C:\copy MSDOS.SYS A:\
    then use a Win98 bootable floppy, and boot to the A:\
    Once there, remove the Win98 bootable floppy, install the floppy with the
    two needed files, and do this---
    A:\Copy IO.Sys C:\ then hit enter
    A:\Copy MSDOS.SYS C:\ then hit enter
    hopefully this will correct the problem for you.

    HTH

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 7, 2003