    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q138349

    Anybody know the answer?

    MANY THANX TO ANYBODY WHO CAN HELP!

    news.verizon.net, May 19, 2004

  2. news.verizon.net

    AG Guest

    You can't just stick the CD into a Win95 computer and boot it up and
    install. You would always need to fdisk and format first using DOS. There
    are also different versions of Win95. Version A only works on Fat16 so can
    only support up to 2 gigs on a partition. B and C both support Fat32 for
    which I don't remember the limit but we haven't reached it yet in drive
    sizes.
    You do not, however, have to install DOS 6.22 first to install Win95 or
    anything like that. I sold hundreds of 486 Win95 computers a few years ago
    for $99.99 without installing DOS on any of them first.
    Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.
    AG
    "news.verizon.net" <> wrote in message
    > Working on writing some A+ tutorials.
    >
    > Some books say Windows 95 can only be installed as an upgrade from DOS or

    an
    > earlier Windows version. But Microsoft's website seems to say that it can

    be

    AG, May 19, 2004

  3. news.verizon.net

    AG Guest

    "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    > AG wrote:
    > > Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.

    > A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x (through
    > WinMe) discs are.
    >
    > It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs, however.
    >

    > -WD

    Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the ones I
    have seen were bootable.
    AG

    AG, May 20, 2004

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...f=1&safe=off&selm=#y0Ew59s#GA.237@cppssbbsa03

    | > -WD
    |
    | Distrust anything said by a Most Valuable Prostitute.
    |
    | I have the first two in that list. Both bootable. There may be unbootable
    | versions, but I've never seen one that wouldn't boot from cdrom. I don't
    | currently have an SE install or disk to compare versions, but have booted
    | from cd many times installing for coustomers. The last two aren't OS'es.

    My Win98 Upgrade CD-ROM is not bootable. In order to make use of it I need a
    boot floppy with CD-ROM support.

    Stephen Online©

    Stephen Online©, May 20, 2004
  5. "AG" <> wrote in message

    | "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    | > AG wrote:
    | > > Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.
    | >
    | > A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x (through
    | > WinMe) discs are.
    | >
    | > It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs, however.
    | >

    | > -WD
    |
    | Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the ones
    | have seen were bootable.
    | AG

    When did you aquire the CD-ROM? Maybe later copies were bootable. I have an
    original 'upgrade' retail version that I got pretty early on and it is not
    bootable.

    Stephen Online©

    Stephen Online©, May 20, 2004
  6. news.verizon.net

    AG Guest

    "Stephen Online©" <> wrote in message
    > "AG" <> wrote in message
    > |
    > | "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message
    > | >
    > | > A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x

    (through
    > | > WinMe) discs are.
    > | >
    > | > It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs,

    however.

    > | > -WD
    > |
    > | Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the

    ones
    > | have seen were bootable.
    > | AG
    > |

    > When did you aquire the CD-ROM? Maybe later copies were bootable. I have

    an
    > original 'upgrade' retail version that I got pretty early on and it is not
    > bootable.
    >
    > Stephen Online©

    I'm really not sure. I think I got it in a stack of disks and licenses that
    I got from my dad after he retired several years ago. I haven't used it in
    years as far as I can remember and I could be wrong about it but I the last
    time I left it in the CD ROM drive it and rebooted it started running setup
    on reboot, NOT what I wanted.

    AG

    AG, May 20, 2004
  7. What I think happens is that people pop the CD-ROM in the drive while
    running a previous version of Windows .. it collects info, does it thing
    then causes a reboot. When the computer reboots it starts upgrading. But the
    computer hadn't booted from the CD-ROM rather from setup files put on the
    harddrive *before* the reboot. Just a guess, though.

    --
    Stephen Online©

    "AG" <> wrote in message

    | "Stephen Online©" <> wrote in message
    | > "AG" <> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | "Will Dormann" <> wrote in message

    | (through

    | however.

    | > |
    | > | Strange. Even the Win98 upgrade that I have is bootable. All of the
    | ones
    | > | have seen were bootable.
    | > | AG
    | > |
    | > |

    Stephen Online©, May 21, 2004
  8. "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    | "Stephen Online©" <> wrote in message
    | > What I think happens is that people pop the CD-ROM in the drive while
    | > running a previous version of Windows .. it collects info, does it thing
    | > then causes a reboot. When the computer reboots it starts upgrading. But
    | the
    | > computer hadn't booted from the CD-ROM rather from setup files put on
    the
    | > harddrive *before* the reboot. Just a guess, though.
    | >
    | > --
    |
    | Well..no, we were reffering to booting from a cdrom.

    And the Win98 CD-ROM is not bootable. Mine isn't that's for sure, but mine's
    an original retail upgrade version. What I was trying to say was the some
    people might be mistaking the install routine for a bootable CD-ROM when, in
    fact, the install routine boots from files put on the harddrive already.

    --
    Stephen Online©

    Stephen Online©, May 21, 2004
  9. news.verizon.net

    PlazticSoul Guest

    > AG wrote:
    > > Also a Win95 CD won't boot like a Win98 one will.

    > A standard Win98 CD is not bootable either. None of the Win9x (through
    > WinMe) discs are.
    >
    > It is possible to make *custom* bootable versions of the discs, however.
    >

    > -WD

    Windows ME is bootable from the CD

    PlazticSoul, May 23, 2004
  10. news.verizon.net

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "SchroedingerzKat" <> wrote in message
    > >Windows ME is bootable from the CD

    > I just download several from web as backup discs. My ME is bootable, my
    > 95 and
    > 98 (FE) are not. My 98 SE restore CD is bootable.
    >
    > Michael

    I agree. Boot disks are easy to find online. I have backups for every
    Windows version, whether I need it or not....... just in case the system I
    am working on doesn't allow booting to CD's. Thankfully, these instances
    don't come up very often anymore, but the disks are always good to have ;)

    PlazticSoul, Jun 2, 2004