Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 11/02/2013 1:16 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <ket66r$mi8$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >> On 6/02/2013 9:13 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
    >>> I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
    >>> towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
    >>> find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
    >>> over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
    >>> smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
    >>> supposed to emulate.
    >>>
    >>> So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.

    >>
    >> I think you need http://www.classicshell.net/ to make the Win8 work
    >> somewhat like 7.

    >
    > .. which raise the interesting question ... why should we have to fix their
    > broken s/w ? :)
    >

    Broken is in the eye of the beholder.

    I hate it because of the variety of systems I use every day - everything
    from Server2000 thru 2012, XP thru Windows8, Windows Mobile6.5 thru
    Windows Phone8, Cisco IOS, Juniper ScreenOS, iThings, various AIX,
    various Solaris and a couple of Linux variants. "Fixing" the UI on
    Win8/Server2012 reduces the number of paradigm shifts I have to make,
    and is purely for my convenience. I am fixing my perceived issues,
    rather than something that is fundamentally "broken".

    I've moved a few single OS users to Windows8 and after week 1 the "I
    hate this - it's awful" noises abated and the feedback started being
    "This is pretty cool now I'm used to it, and hey, it's fast".

    All that aside, I'm a grumpy old luddite who is averse to change and
    spend as much of my life as possible at some form or another of command
    prompt - of course I'm going to rail against GUIs that change (despite
    strongly feeling that Phone8* is a massive evolutionary improvement on
    Phone7).

    *You can keep that fscking iPhone, I'll keep my Lumia 920..... partly
    because it means I can tell iThing owners "I ain't got one, don't know
    how they work, I can't help you".
     
    EMB, Feb 11, 2013
    #21
    1. Advertising

  2. ~misfit~

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 13:41:23 +1300, geoff wrote:

    > And still people clamour for the straight-forwardness of the 'classic
    > Windows' UI.


    "Classic" is in the eye of the beholder. I find Windows 8 similar to
    the classic Windows 3.x interface -- the start screen is the new
    Program Manager, and title bars are now centred again.

    OTOH your perception of 'classic' may be the later Windows "Chicago" UI.


    > Why don't MS get it into their heads that people don't want to
    > be treated like idiots by their computer.


    I'm sure I heard the same thing said about Windows "Chicago".


    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
     
    Ralph Fox, Feb 11, 2013
    #22
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <kfa0qa$29v$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 11/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, nospam

    > <> wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    >>>> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    >>>>

    > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_
    >>> further_behind_Vista_s
    >>> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    >>
    >> Not really relevant. :)
    >>
    >> Perhaps the old classic question ...
    >> What's in it for me ? (or "why should I change to win 8?")
    >> .. might be a better way of approaching it ? :)

    >
    >It's fast (and IME faster than 7 on the same hardware). It seems
    >robust. And for me it provides a whole heap of functionality I *need*
    >in order to do my job efficiently (administration of Server2012). Sure
    >I can use 7 to do it, but 8 just integrates that much better (and it's
    >faster on my hardware).


    So you have a reason to get/use it.

    I still don't ... and I suspect that will be true for many. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 12, 2013
    #23
  4. In article <kfa1hj$44o$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 11/02/2013 1:16 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <ket66r$mi8$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >>> On 6/02/2013 9:13 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
    >>>> I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
    >>>> towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
    >>>> find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
    >>>> over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
    >>>> smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
    >>>> supposed to emulate.
    >>>>
    >>>> So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.
    >>>
    >>> I think you need http://www.classicshell.net/ to make the Win8 work
    >>> somewhat like 7.

    >>
    >> .. which raise the interesting question ... why should we have to fix their
    >> broken s/w ? :)
    >>

    >Broken is in the eye of the beholder.
    >
    >I hate it because of the variety of systems I use every day - everything
    >from Server2000 thru 2012, XP thru Windows8, Windows Mobile6.5 thru
    >Windows Phone8, Cisco IOS, Juniper ScreenOS, iThings, various AIX,
    >various Solaris and a couple of Linux variants. "Fixing" the UI on
    >Win8/Server2012 reduces the number of paradigm shifts I have to make,
    >and is purely for my convenience. I am fixing my perceived issues,
    >rather than something that is fundamentally "broken".


    I disagree here. The perception of a problem is in fact a problem.
    Change for the sake of change is worse than pointless. Yes, by all means, if
    there is a good reason for changing, do so by all means ... but change for
    marketing (as 8 seems to be from the great distance I'm looking at it at :)
    ), seems worse than pointless to me. Raise expectations then fail to fulfill
    them. Sounds like another recipe for vista disaster to me ... though vista
    really didn't work. :)


    >I've moved a few single OS users to Windows8 and after week 1 the "I
    >hate this - it's awful" noises abated and the feedback started being
    >"This is pretty cool now I'm used to it, and hey, it's fast".


    I'm told that it's easy to market a "new iphone 5" (actually an old 4.2) to
    a holder of a 4.2. Repetitions of "it's faster and neater and better than
    that crappy olf 4.2 you have!" actually *works* despite the fact that it's
    the same. Many OS releases seem to me to be along those lines.
    Nothing stops working in the old version.
    Some bugs may be fixed (and probably should have been in the old version :)
    ).
    Some things may be better.
    Some may be worse.
    Now, it seems to me, the only difference is marketing. The win8 tv ads were
    ... well, beer or car ads would be the nearest thing. A branding exercise.
    No mention of what was better or why anyone might actually want or need
    win8. :)


    >All that aside, I'm a grumpy old luddite who is averse to change and
    >spend as much of my life as possible at some form or another of command
    >prompt - of course I'm going to rail against GUIs that change (despite
    >strongly feeling that Phone8* is a massive evolutionary improvement on
    >Phone7).


    :)

    >*You can keep that fscking iPhone, I'll keep my Lumia 920..... partly
    >because it means I can tell iThing owners "I ain't got one, don't know
    >how they work, I can't help you".


    Quite. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 12, 2013
    #24
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 12/02/2013 1:23 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <kfa1hj$44o$>, EMB <> wrote:



    >> I hate it because of the variety of systems I use every day - everything
    >>from Server2000 thru 2012, XP thru Windows8, Windows Mobile6.5 thru
    >> Windows Phone8, Cisco IOS, Juniper ScreenOS, iThings, various AIX,
    >> various Solaris and a couple of Linux variants. "Fixing" the UI on
    >> Win8/Server2012 reduces the number of paradigm shifts I have to make,
    >> and is purely for my convenience. I am fixing my perceived issues,
    >> rather than something that is fundamentally "broken".

    >
    > I disagree here. The perception of a problem is in fact a problem.
    > Change for the sake of change is worse than pointless. Yes, by all means, if
    > there is a good reason for changing, do so by all means ... but change for
    > marketing (as 8 seems to be from the great distance I'm looking at it at :)
    > ), seems worse than pointless to me. Raise expectations then fail to fulfill
    > them. Sounds like another recipe for vista disaster to me ... though vista
    > really didn't work. :)


    The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS changes for
    real reasons - it puts a common UI across Microsoft's desktop, server,
    tablet and phone platforms. That's arguably a good move* for a high
    proportion of users of those types of technology, but as above it pisses
    me off so I fixed it.

    * Microsoft want to get seriously into the tablet and smartphone space.
    Apple own that space, and their consistent, easy to use UI is a part
    of that - Microsoft had no option other than follow their lead.
     
    EMB, Feb 14, 2013
    #25
  6. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS changes
    > for real reasons - it puts a common UI across Microsoft's desktop,
    > server, tablet and phone platforms. That's arguably a good move*
    > for a high proportion of users of those types of technology, but
    > as above it pisses me off so I fixed it.
    >
    > * Microsoft want to get seriously into the tablet and smartphone
    > space. Apple own that space, and their consistent, easy to use UI
    > is a part of that - Microsoft had no option other than follow
    > their lead.


    Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
    desktop UI... as yet.

    Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all ;-)

    --
    dee
     
    Mike Dee, Feb 14, 2013
    #26
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > On 12/02/2013 1:23 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <kfa1hj$44o$>, EMB <>
    >> wrote:

    >
    >
    >>> I hate it because of the variety of systems I use every day -
    >>> everything from Server2000 thru 2012, XP thru Windows8, Windows
    >>> Mobile6.5 thru Windows Phone8, Cisco IOS, Juniper ScreenOS,
    >>> iThings, various AIX, various Solaris and a couple of Linux
    >>> variants. "Fixing" the UI on Win8/Server2012 reduces the number of
    >>> paradigm shifts I have to make, and is purely for my convenience. I am
    >>> fixing my perceived issues, rather than something that is
    >>> fundamentally "broken".

    >>
    >> I disagree here. The perception of a problem is in fact a problem.
    >> Change for the sake of change is worse than pointless. Yes, by all
    >> means, if there is a good reason for changing, do so by all means
    >> ... but change for marketing (as 8 seems to be from the great
    >> distance I'm looking at it at :) ), seems worse than pointless to
    >> me. Raise expectations then fail to fulfill them. Sounds like
    >> another recipe for vista disaster to me ... though vista really
    >> didn't work. :)

    >
    > The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS changes for
    > real reasons - it puts a common UI across Microsoft's desktop, server,
    > tablet and phone platforms. That's arguably a good move* for a high
    > proportion of users of those types of technology, but as above it
    > pisses me off so I fixed it.
    >
    > * Microsoft want to get seriously into the tablet and smartphone
    > space. Apple own that space, and their consistent, easy to use UI is
    > a part of that - Microsoft had no option other than follow their lead.


    I fully realise that but it'd be damn nice if, on install, the OS detected
    if there was a touch screen and, if not didn't install Metro. But what do I
    know? <g>
    --
    /Shaun.

    "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief has a
    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
     
    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2013
    #27
  8. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-16, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >>
    >> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS changes for
    >> real reasons - it puts a common UI across Microsoft's desktop, server,
    >> tablet and phone platforms. That's arguably a good move* for a high
    >> proportion of users of those types of technology, but as above it
    >> pisses me off so I fixed it.
    >>
    >> * Microsoft want to get seriously into the tablet and smartphone
    >> space. Apple own that space, and their consistent, easy to use UI is
    >> a part of that - Microsoft had no option other than follow their lead.

    >
    > I fully realise that but it'd be damn nice if, on install, the OS detected
    > if there was a touch screen and, if not didn't install Metro. But what do I
    > know? <g>


    That, gentle readers is the hurdle that Ms Windows fell at. Well it was the
    idea that one GUI could work on all platforms.

    I mean do you take your groceries home with an 18 wheeler truck?
     
    Gordon, Feb 16, 2013
    #28
  9. In article <kfmj6o$s88$>,
    says...
    >
    > I fully realise that but it'd be damn nice if, on install, the OS detected
    > if there was a touch screen and, if not didn't install Metro. But what do I
    > know? <g>
    > --
    > /Shaun.


    A certain nephew of mine who was one of the developers had the same idea
    Shaun, but they wouldn't listen to him. You're in good company :-D

    T'other day my wife and I were sitting in bed trying to read a wiki
    article on 'what makes ..... work' so we had no mousing surface. While
    using the touchpad on the lappy the stupid "charm bar" kept popping up
    or it kept flipping into the tile interface when all we tried to do was
    scroll the page in firefox ... yeesh. "Gestures" I guess ... Good thing
    I have a mouse for it normally.

    Charm bar and gestures make sense on a touchscreen device, but not on a
    desktop or laptop i.m.o.!
    Having said that, I DO like that I can use the touchpad gesture for
    zooming in and out on text.


    -P.
     
    Peter Huebner, Feb 16, 2013
    #29
  10. ~misfit~

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 09:28:04 +1300, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > T'other day my wife and I were sitting in bed trying to read a wiki
    > article on 'what makes ..... work' so we had no mousing surface. While
    > using the touchpad on the lappy the stupid "charm bar" kept popping up
    > or it kept flipping into the tile interface when all we tried to do was
    > scroll the page in firefox ... yeesh. "Gestures" I guess ... Good thing
    > I have a mouse for it normally.
    >
    > Charm bar and gestures make sense on a touchscreen device, but not on a
    > desktop or laptop i.m.o.!



    If your touchpad is an Elan Tech one, then here is where to disable that.

    Screen-shot: http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7655/zzelantech.png


    > Having said that, I DO like that I can use the touchpad gesture for
    > zooming in and out on text.



    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
     
    Ralph Fox, Feb 16, 2013
    #30
  11. In article <>, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    >EMB wrote:
    >> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS changes
    >> for real reasons - it puts a common UI across Microsoft's desktop,
    >> server, tablet and phone platforms. That's arguably a good move*
    >> for a high proportion of users of those types of technology, but
    >> as above it pisses me off so I fixed it.
    >>
    >> * Microsoft want to get seriously into the tablet and smartphone
    >> space. Apple own that space, and their consistent, easy to use UI
    >> is a part of that - Microsoft had no option other than follow
    >> their lead.

    >
    >Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
    >desktop UI... as yet.
    >
    >Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all ;-)


    ... doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 18, 2013
    #31
  12. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >>EMB wrote:
    >>> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS
    >>> changes for real reasons - it puts a common UI across
    >>> Microsoft's desktop, server...

    [...]
    >>
    >>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
    >>desktop UI... as yet.
    >>
    >>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all ;-)

    >
    > .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it. :)


    Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce :)

    Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr is
    based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the tooth.
    Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use for reading
    usenet news, ay.

    --
    dee
     
    Mike Dee, Feb 18, 2013
    #32
  13. In article <>, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Mike Dee wrote:
    >>>EMB wrote:
    >>>> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS
    >>>> changes for real reasons - it puts a common UI across
    >>>> Microsoft's desktop, server...

    >[...]
    >>>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
    >>>desktop UI... as yet.
    >>>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all ;-)

    >> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it. :)

    >Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce :)


    I did. I suspect you struggled to type it too. :)

    I read somewhere recently (might even have been here... but in case it
    wasn't) ...
    Microsoft products suck. The day Microsoft products do not suck will be the
    day they start making vacuum cleaners.

    Gave me some minutes of amusement. :)


    >Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr is
    >based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the tooth.
    >Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use for reading
    >usenet news, ay.


    Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997. :)
    It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
    have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
    reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson :) ).
    I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
    not holding my breath however. :)
    I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
    briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
    of it :) ).
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 19, 2013
    #33
  14. In article <kfucjj$9j8$>,
    says...
    >
    > In article <>, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    > >Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > >> Mike Dee wrote:
    > >>>EMB wrote:
    > >>>> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS
    > >>>> changes for real reasons - it puts a common UI across
    > >>>> Microsoft's desktop, server...

    > >[...]
    > >>>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto it's
    > >>>desktop UI... as yet.
    > >>>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all ;-)
    > >> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it. :)

    > >Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce :)

    >
    > I did. I suspect you struggled to type it too. :)
    >
    > I read somewhere recently (might even have been here... but in case it
    > wasn't) ...
    > Microsoft products suck. The day Microsoft products do not suck will be the
    > day they start making vacuum cleaners.
    >
    > Gave me some minutes of amusement. :)
    >
    >
    > >Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr is
    > >based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the tooth.
    > >Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use for reading
    > >usenet news, ay.

    >
    > Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997. :)
    > It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
    > have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
    > reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson :) ).
    > I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
    > not holding my breath however. :)
    > I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
    > briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
    > of it :) ).


    Microplanet Gravity is still up on sourceforge I believe. I think it's a
    very nice nntp client in its current form. Certainly runs on win7 64.
    The maintainer is not interested in binaries, so those bits of code are
    old, old, old, but everything else is pretty slick (i.e. fast and not
    overly complicated and reliable).

    -P.
     
    Peter Huebner, Feb 19, 2013
    #34
  15. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 19/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997. :)
    > It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
    > have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
    > reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson :) ).


    Notepad++ is well worth a look.

    > I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
    > not holding my breath however. :)
    > I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
    > briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
    > of it :) ).


    *If* you hated Outhouse Express you'll probably hate Thunderbird too,
    but it's worth having a look at, and there's a lot of plugins and tweaks
    to make it less obnoxious.
     
    EMB, Feb 19, 2013
    #35
  16. ~misfit~

    Mike Dee Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > In article <>, Mike Dee
    > <> wrote:
    >>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >>> Mike Dee wrote:
    >>>>EMB wrote:
    >>>>> The UI formerly known as Metro is one of the few recent OS
    >>>>> changes for real reasons - it puts a common UI across
    >>>>> Microsoft's desktop, server...

    >>[...]
    >>>>Except that Apple has not pushed its iPad, iPhone iOS UI onto
    >>>>it's desktop UI... as yet.
    >>>>Perhaps Microsoft is being a market leader here, after all ;-)
    >>> .. doesn't sound likely when you read it though, does it. :)

    >>Please note my "just kidding" smiley up there, Bruce :)

    >
    > I did. I suspect you struggled to type it too. :)


    I think that with "Metro" as a default Windows OS desktop on a PC,
    Microsoft has shot itself through both feet and gave itself a double
    knee-capping while it was at it...

    ....They aught to turn around and say "Sorry folks, it was all our
    fault. Here's the PC desktop you really should've got. Now please
    excuse us while we from the management think-tank all go out and commit
    hari-kari".

    > I read somewhere recently (might even have been here... but in
    > case it wasn't) ...
    > Microsoft products suck. The day Microsoft products do not suck
    > will be the day they start making vacuum cleaners.
    >
    > Gave me some minutes of amusement. :)


    Could be some truth in there :)

    With their announcement that they are locking in their bread-n-butter
    Office suite to a single PC, there's little chance of them not sucking
    at something in the near future.

    >>Bruce, News Xpress 2.01... What OS are you using for this? My nr
    >>is based *heavily* on News Xpress code, and _it_ is long in the
    >>tooth. Anyways... Kudos to you for using whatever you like to use
    >>for reading usenet news, ay.

    >
    > Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997. :)
    > It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system
    > (which I have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad
    > for the same reason (and because it discards all formatting in one
    > easy lesson :) ). I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we
    > "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm not holding my breath however. :)


    There is a good chance that nx 2 will run on Win 7 64 bit if you
    install it into its own folder under C:\ as in C:\NewsExpress or
    similar. Its what we had to do to get Xnews to work properly in Vista &
    newer. By avoiding the Windows default Programs folder for apps, all
    together.

    > I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even
    > more briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to
    > express my hatred of it :) ).


    Well... there is Xnews to consider of course... :)

    A quote from Xnew's author:
    "I'm a fan of NewsXpress so I liberally stole ideas from that program.
    NX users should find Xnews familiar. That said, Xnews is not
    NewsXpress. I didn't try to clone it. I have my own weird ideas of
    doing things. Although Xnews may bear some resemblance to NX, it has
    some features the latter doesn't while lacking others."

    Cheers

    --
    dee
     
    Mike Dee, Feb 19, 2013
    #36
  17. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Microplanet Gravity is still up on sourceforge I believe. I think it's a
    >very nice nntp client in its current form. Certainly runs on win7 64.
    >The maintainer is not interested in binaries, so those bits of code are
    >old, old, old, but everything else is pretty slick (i.e. fast and not
    >overly complicated and reliable).


    This I will file ... in case. :)

    Thanks
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 20, 2013
    #37
  18. In article <kfv3hu$26c$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 19/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> Agreed - its help/about says feb 15 1997. :)
    >> It's still fast and reliable and running at work on our XP system (which I
    >> have found stable and reliable). I regulaly use notepad for the same
    >> reason (and because it discards all formatting in one easy lesson :) ).

    >Notepad++ is well worth a look.


    ? Sounds like it would have formatting (a bite like write ?). How's it
    different ?


    >> I'm hoping NXS will continue to run when we "upgrade" to win 7 64 bit. I'm
    >> not holding my breath however. :)
    >> I've experimented briefly with outlook express (horrible) and even more
    >> briefly with google groups (so bad, words cannot begin to express my hatred
    >> of it :) ).

    >*If* you hated Outhouse Express you'll probably hate Thunderbird too,
    >but it's worth having a look at, and there's a lot of plugins and tweaks
    >to make it less obnoxious.


    Probably the most similar to NXS news reader I've seen has been pan. I
    haven't played with it much, but it looks fast, easy to use and fast (those
    being my only requirements for s/w). Oh yes ... and it has to work too. :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 20, 2013
    #38
  19. In article <>, Mike Dee <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >Well... there is Xnews to consider of course... :)
    >
    >A quote from Xnew's author:
    >"I'm a fan of NewsXpress so I liberally stole ideas from that program.
    >NX users should find Xnews familiar. That said, Xnews is not
    >NewsXpress. I didn't try to clone it. I have my own weird ideas of
    >doing things. Although Xnews may bear some resemblance to NX, it has
    >some features the latter doesn't while lacking others."


    This too I shall file ... in case.

    Thanks :)
     
    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 20, 2013
    #39
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Corbin O'Reilly
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,277
    Corbin O'Reilly
    May 26, 2004
  2. Jinny
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    407
    Jinny
    Feb 10, 2004
  3. pappu
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    352
    pappu
    Apr 18, 2007
  4. thingy
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    351
    Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    Apr 7, 2006
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    251
    RichA
    Mar 31, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page