Windows 8's usage uptake falls further behind Vista's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2013.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    ~misfit~, Feb 5, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    nospam Guest

    nospam, Feb 6, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    >> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_further_behind_Vista_s

    > Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >
    > It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    My upgrade from 7 to 8 Pro cost me $19.99 and I'm finding it effing
    hopeless. Didn't even automatically create a Restore Point on install.
    Might have blown my 20 bucks.

    --
    Friends don't let friends use Windows 8.

    bugalugs, Feb 6, 2013
  4. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    >> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_further_behind_Vista_s

    > Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >
    > It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
    calls) to get used to Windows 8.

    I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
    Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

    *It works fine on my Lumia 920 (great phone, pity about the price and
    weight of it).

    EMB, Feb 6, 2013
  5. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 6/02/2013 9:13 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
    > I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
    > towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
    > find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
    > over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
    > smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
    > supposed to emulate.
    >
    > So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.

    I think you need http://www.classicshell.net/ to make the Win8 work
    somewhat like 7.

    EMB, Feb 6, 2013
  6. ~misfit~

    nospam Guest

    On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:13:35 +1300, Crash McBash
    <> wrote:

    >It seems quite apparent to me that MS are simply no longer able to
    >produce must-have new Windows releases like 95 and XP were in their
    >day. I reckon we are now reaching an age where users yawn at new
    >software releases that include no useful new feature content.

    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...ems/windows-8-1093002/review/1#articleContent

    <quote>
    Windows 8 is faster - you'll notice the difference on older PCs as
    much as on new machines. Battery life improves enough to be
    noticeable. And it's significantly more secure.
    And then there are the features, such as Storage Space and File
    History, or the new Windows Explorer, or better multi-monitor support.
    Picture Password is a great compromise between security and
    convenience
    The charm bar, especially the handy icons on the Setting bar, puts
    most of the tools you actually use to manage your PC at your
    fingertips. The cloud integration in Windows 8 is a game changer.

    But touchscreen or mouse, Windows 8 undeniably shines....
    Keep an open mind, spend some time getting used to the charm bar and
    the Start screen. Once you do, we defy you not to be impressed by
    Windows 8.
    <end quote>

    http://mashable.com/2012/11/08/dual-boot-windows-8/

    nospam, Feb 6, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    malone Guest

    On 6-Feb-2013 9:13 pm, Crash McBash wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 15:19:49 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:

    >>> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.
    >>>

    >> It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
    >> calls) to get used to Windows 8.
    >>
    >> I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
    >> Classicshell) the Metro UI*.
    >>
    >> *It works fine on my Lumia 920 (great phone, pity about the price and
    >> weight of it).

    > I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
    > towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
    > find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
    > over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
    > smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
    > supposed to emulate.
    >
    > So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.
    >
    > It seems quite apparent to me that MS are simply no longer able to
    > produce must-have new Windows releases like 95 and XP were in their
    > day. I reckon we are now reaching an age where users yawn at new
    > software releases that include no useful new feature content. Office
    > suites have reached a similar plateau. Just stay with what you have
    > and upgrade only when you replace/upgrade hardware.
    >
    > Its interesting to note that I was running Office 2003. This will not
    > run on Win 8. Later Office releases offer no new feature content that
    > is worthy of the price. The nearest I came to 'upgrading' to a
    > version of Office that would run on Win 8 were Trade me auctions of
    > Office 2007. In the end though I opted for Open Office - the current
    > version runs on both Win 7 and Win 8 - and meets my (very basic) needs
    > quite well.

    Well, I agree about the lack of significant new features in recent
    version of Microsoft Office. I'm still using Excel 2000 and that works
    fine on Windows 8

    malone, Feb 6, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 15:19:49 UTC+13, EMB wrote:
    > On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > > <> wrote:

    > >> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    > >> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    > >> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_further_behind_Vista_s

    > > Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    > > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy

    > > It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    > It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
    > calls) to get used to Windows 8.
    >
    > I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
    > Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

    Oh, so all I need to do is install Classicshell and my windows8 will look and feel like Windows XP or 7? Yay!

    JohnO, Feb 7, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 7/02/2013 3:14 p.m., JohnO wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 15:19:49 UTC+13, EMB wrote:

    >> I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
    >> Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

    > Oh, so all I need to do is install Classicshell and my windows8 will look and feel like Windows XP or 7? Yay!

    A lot /more/ like anyway. Enough to make it bearable for me where I
    have to wrangle everything from Win2K to Server2012 and their respective
    desktop cousins every day.

    EMB, Feb 7, 2013
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-05, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    > it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_further_behind_Vista_s

    Times change. Vista was hyped to the edge of the universe and back. Google
    was just a search engine, and mobile was only starting to wake up.

    Ms Windows has really, really stuck diesel in the petrol engine of the
    desktop.

    What she failed to do, as yet, was to allow the desktop to be iteself.
    Swiping is not done on a desktop, it is done on mobile/ non mouse devices.

    However it does appear that the under the hood stuff of Ms Windows 8 is all
    good. An improvement. Ms Windows always has been about show, so the new and
    improved brick interface is what people see.

    If my car has a petrol engine then I want petrol put in the fuel tank.

    The real problem for Ms Windows is that it is a brave new world. Which has
    been lots of well evolved eco-creatures in it. It takes along time for a
    dinosouar to evolve into a bird.

    Gordon, Feb 9, 2013
  11. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-07, JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Wednesday, 6 February 2013 15:19:49 UTC+13, EMB wrote:
    >> On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:

    >> > Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >> > http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy

    >> > It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    >> It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
    >> calls) to get used to Windows 8.
    >>
    >> I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
    >> Classicshell) the Metro UI*.

    > Oh, so all I need to do is install Classicshell and my windows8 will look and feel like Windows XP or 7? Yay!

    No. It will feel like a service pack bolted onto Ms Windows 7. Lets us leave
    XP in history where it belongs.

    Gordon, Feb 9, 2013
  12. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-06, Crash McBash <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 15:19:49 +1300, EMB <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 6/02/2013 2:37 p.m., nospam wrote:

    >>> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.
    >>>

    >>It will take a lot of our 5000 users too long (and far too many support
    >>calls) to get used to Windows 8.
    >>
    >>I also didn't ask for, don't want (and have in fact banished via
    >>Classicshell) the Metro UI*.
    >>
    >>*It works fine on my Lumia 920 (great phone, pity about the price and
    >>weight of it).

    > I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
    > towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
    > find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
    > over the old.

    Maybe. The February issuse of APC mag might be of interest to readers of
    this ng.

    > I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
    > smartphone either

    Cool, but not in as tunra.

    No tablet either? Or e-book reader?

    > so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
    > supposed to emulate.

    You need the platform for it to emulate. That *is* the point.

    > It seems quite apparent to me that MS are simply no longer able to
    > produce must-have new Windows releases like 95 and XP were in their
    > day.

    Yes You can not fool all the people all the time. Or it is evolution. Laws
    of dimishing returns set in.

    Linux has also reached this point on the desktop. Just like Japanese cars,
    all the same apart from the colours and name badge.

    > I reckon we are now reaching an age where users yawn at new
    > software releases that include no useful new feature content. Office
    > suites have reached a similar plateau. Just stay with what you have
    > and upgrade only when you replace/upgrade hardware.

    Evolution goes on, like in nature things change, but now more slowly. The
    hype is pumped in to other places.

    > Its interesting to note that I was running Office 2003. This will not
    > run on Win 8. Later Office releases offer no new feature content that
    > is worthy of the price. The nearest I came to 'upgrading' to a
    > version of Office that would run on Win 8 were Trade me auctions of
    > Office 2007. In the end though I opted for Open Office - the current
    > version runs on both Win 7 and Win 8 - and meets my (very basic) needs
    > quite well.

    Backwards compatability. How long to keep it? Linus has just ditched the
    i386 section from the Linux kernel.

    Gordon, Feb 9, 2013
  13. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-02-06, nospam <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 21:13:35 +1300, Crash McBash
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>It seems quite apparent to me that MS are simply no longer able to
    >>produce must-have new Windows releases like 95 and XP were in their
    >>day. I reckon we are now reaching an age where users yawn at new
    >>software releases that include no useful new feature content.

    > http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc...ems/windows-8-1093002/review/1#articleContent
    >
    ><quote>
    > Windows 8 is faster - you'll notice the difference on older PCs as
    > much as on new machines. Battery life improves enough to be
    > noticeable. And it's significantly more secure.
    > And then there are the features, such as Storage Space and File
    > History, or the new Windows Explorer, or better multi-monitor support.
    > Picture Password is a great compromise between security and
    > convenience
    > The charm bar, especially the handy icons on the Setting bar, puts
    > most of the tools you actually use to manage your PC at your
    > fingertips.

    Shit, you were doing okay until here. The charms bar is nothing more than a
    marathon clicking challange for ones mouse on the desktop.

    Sounds like a train. Click click click click ...... are we there yet.

    Gordon, Feb 9, 2013
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-02-07, JohnO <> wrote:

    [snip]
    >> Oh, so all I need to do is install Classicshell and my windows8 will
    >> look and feel like Windows XP or 7? Yay!
    >>

    > No. It will feel like a service pack bolted onto Ms Windows 7. Lets
    > us leave XP in history where it belongs.

    You do what you like. I still use XP for most of my daily tasks and have no
    intention of changing anytime soon. I only use 7-64bit on my heavy iron for
    for gaming due to it's ability to use more RAM - and the better video
    drivers that are released for it.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Feb 10, 2013
  15. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 11/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    >>> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_

    >> further_behind_Vista_s
    >> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >>
    >> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    > Not really relevant. :)
    >
    > Perhaps the old classic question ...
    > What's in it for me ? (or "why should I change to win 8?")
    > .. might be a better way of approaching it ? :)

    Its not compulsory

    victor, Feb 10, 2013

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 11, 2013
  17. In article <ket66r$mi8$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 6/02/2013 9:13 p.m., Crash McBash wrote:
    >> I downloaded and installed Win 8 to my XP box - as XP is getting
    >> towards support-ended status and Win 8 was cheap at $NZ50. While I
    >> find it quite easily usable the new UI has no compelling improvements
    >> over the old. I don't have touch-capable hardware and I don't have a
    >> smartphone either so I am not familiar with the new UIs that Metro is
    >> supposed to emulate.
    >>
    >> So my other 2 boxes will continue to run Win 7.

    >I think you need http://www.classicshell.net/ to make the Win8 work
    >somewhat like 7.

    ... which raise the interesting question ... why should we have to fix their
    broken s/w ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 11, 2013
  18. In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >The charm bar,

    OK ... now I *really* don't want it. :)

    Seriously ? :) :)

    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 11, 2013
  19. In article <kf9c9r$ego$>, victor <> wrote:
    >On 11/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    >> In article <>, nospam

    > <> wrote:

    > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_
    >>> further_behind_Vista_s
    >>> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    >> Not really relevant. :)
    >>
    >> Perhaps the old classic question ...
    >> What's in it for me ? (or "why should I change to win 8?")
    >> .. might be a better way of approaching it ? :)

    >Its not compulsory

    Quite so. So ... why would I ? I've seen no compelling reason in favour ...
    and it's only a thing to let programs run. Why/how is this thing better ?
    Pretty marketing onl;y goes so far. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 11, 2013
  20. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    On 11/02/2013 1:14 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 02:23:16 +1300, "~misfit~"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> So, even at the heavilly discounted price that Windows 8 was being sold at
    >>> it hasn't kept up with the adoption rate of Vivasta:
    >>> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9236436/Windows_8_s_usage_uptake_falls_

    >> further_behind_Vista_s
    >> Windows 8 pro upgrade is $500 now. A week ago it was $50-00
    >> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/buy
    >>
    >> It doesn't take long to get used to Windows 8.

    > Not really relevant. :)
    >
    > Perhaps the old classic question ...
    > What's in it for me ? (or "why should I change to win 8?")
    > .. might be a better way of approaching it ? :)

    It's fast (and IME faster than 7 on the same hardware). It seems
    robust. And for me it provides a whole heap of functionality I *need*
    in order to do my job efficiently (administration of Server2012). Sure
    I can use 7 to do it, but 8 just integrates that much better (and it's
    faster on my hardware).

    EMB, Feb 11, 2013