    Do you use or develop Windows software? Everything you’re currently doing
    will be consigned to the “legacy†bin. The new approach seems to be based
    around HTML5+JavaScript.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 2, 2011

  2. <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-details-specs-for-windows-8-tablets-shows-off-hardware.ars>

    No x86 emulation on the ARM version, but the APIs are supposedly the same.
    As if proprietary developers find it easy to recompile their apps for
    alternative architectures—we saw how successful that was with Windows NT...

    Trying to exert tight control over the hardware market seems like a backward
    step: Microsoft seems too fixated on Apple, and hasn’t noticed that Android
    is owing much of its success to precisely the hardware free-for-all that
    also existed in the Windows market.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 3, 2011

  3. In message <isa1pr$b3j$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-details-specs-for-windows-8-tablets-shows-off-hardware.ars>
    >
    > No x86 emulation on the ARM version, but the APIs are supposedly the same.
    > As if proprietary developers find it easy to recompile their apps for
    > alternative architectures—we saw how successful that was with Windows NT...
    >
    > Trying to exert tight control over the hardware market seems like a backward
    > step: Microsoft seems too fixated on Apple, and hasn’t noticed that Android
    > is owing much of its success to precisely the hardware free-for-all that
    > also existed in the Windows market.

    Translation:

    I started this post referring to tablets.
    But I do a bait-and-switch to smartphones when I talk about
    Android success.

    So far, Android is not doing well in the tablet market.

    <http://www.dailytech.com/Android+Tablet+Slump+Leads+to+Tablet+Market+Downgrade/article21668.htm>
    <http://www.androidtapp.com/android-tablet-sales-low-estimated-125000-sold-in-the-first-quarter-of-2011/>
    <http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72538.html?wlc=1307092744>

    <http://www.techzone360.com/topics/techzone/articles/168371-why-isnt-android-success-phones-working-tablets.htm>
    Lawrence D'Oublespeak, Jun 3, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 3/06/2011 10:26 p.m., Lawrence D'Oublespeak wrote:
    > In message<isa1pr$b3j$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> <http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2011/06/microsoft-details-specs-for-windows-8-tablets-shows-off-hardware.ars>
    >>
    >> No x86 emulation on the ARM version, but the APIs are supposedly the same.
    >> As if proprietary developers find it easy to recompile their apps for
    >> alternative architectures—we saw how successful that was with Windows NT...
    >>
    >> Trying to exert tight control over the hardware market seems like a backward
    >> step: Microsoft seems too fixated on Apple, and hasn’t noticed that Android
    >> is owing much of its success to precisely the hardware free-for-all that
    >> also existed in the Windows market.

    > Translation:
    >
    > I started this post referring to tablets.
    > But I do a bait-and-switch to smartphones when I talk about
    > Android success.
    >
    > So far, Android is not doing well in the tablet market.
    >
    > <http://www.dailytech.com/Android+Tablet+Slump+Leads+to+Tablet+Market+Downgrade/article21668.htm>
    > <http://www.androidtapp.com/android-tablet-sales-low-estimated-125000-sold-in-the-first-quarter-of-2011/>
    > <http://www.technewsworld.com/story/72538.html?wlc=1307092744>
    >
    > <http://www.techzone360.com/topics/techzone/articles/168371-why-isnt-android-success-phones-working-tablets.htm>

    I read the last link there, and Enderle missed the point by a mile.
    Android tablet sales will come from the companies that sell TVs and
    phones, not Dell IBM HP Lenovo etc, It will be Samsung Asus Acer. And
    they are about 2 Android versions away from volume sales so Apple really
    needs to exploit that window.
    victor, Jun 3, 2011