Windows 8 for tablet-addict mouth-breathers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Sep 15, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Sep 15, 2011

  2. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
    >
    >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/index.htm

    IIRC, it also has a "classic mode" for those that prefer a 7-style
    interface. Judging by how Windows Phone has been doing so far, that
    may be a very good thing.

    I downloaded the developer preview and tried getting it running on a
    virtual machine (VirtualBox), but got an error after the (very simple
    in this build) splash screen. Seems you have to have a processor with
    hardware virtualization, and I don't. (Single-core celeron. :p )
    Others have had success. Guess I'll have to try and put it on a spare
    machine instead, if I have one that's up to specs.

    John A., Sep 15, 2011

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 15, 9:09 am, John A. <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

    > >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/...

    > IIRC, it also has a "classic mode" for those that prefer a 7-style
    > interface. Judging by how Windows Phone has been doing so far, that
    > may be a very good thing.

    Only benefit to horrifically bad sales? Cheap Windows phones and very
    cheap ($100?) HP tablets. Rumour on some user sites is that Windows
    for phones is the best portable OS portable. But I've never seen it.

    RichA, Sep 15, 2011
  4. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
    :
    : http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/index.htm

    You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time Microsoft
    releases a new operating system, their initial hype empahsizes how different
    its look and feel will be. Then when the OS actually comes out, the
    differences tend to be more minor than advertised - mostly new cosmetic
    features that can be accepted or ignored by the user.

    And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly innovative
    changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm, but that notion
    strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 15, 2011
  5. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 08:28:46 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Sep 15, 9:09 am, John A. <> wrote:
    : > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : > >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
    : >
    : > >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/...
    : >
    : > IIRC, it also has a "classic mode" for those that prefer a 7-style
    : > interface. Judging by how Windows Phone has been doing so far, that
    : > may be a very good thing.
    :
    : Only benefit to horrifically bad sales? Cheap Windows phones and very
    : cheap ($100?) HP tablets. Rumour on some user sites is that Windows
    : for phones is the best portable OS portable. But I've never seen it.

    That may be true, but those portable OSes that are not portable have a much
    better reputation.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 15, 2011
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    >: If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
    >:
    >: http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/index.htm
    >
    >You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time Microsoft
    >releases a new operating system, their initial hype empahsizes how different
    >its look and feel will be. Then when the OS actually comes out, the
    >differences tend to be more minor than advertised - mostly new cosmetic
    >features that can be accepted or ignored by the user.
    >
    >And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly innovative
    >changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm, but that notion
    >strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.

    Surely Palm's decline has more to do with a small, highly innovative
    company being taken over by a much larger company that perhaps didn't
    understand exactly what it was buying? Corporate history is littered
    with comparable examples.

    Bruce, Sep 16, 2011
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/16/2011 12:16 AM, Rich wrote:
    > Robert Coe<> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA<>
    >> wrote:
    >> : If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
    >> :
    >> : http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/i
    >> : ndex.htm
    >>
    >> You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time
    >> Microsoft releases a new operating system, their initial hype
    >> empahsizes how different its look and feel will be. Then when the OS
    >> actually comes out, the differences tend to be more minor than
    >> advertised - mostly new cosmetic features that can be accepted or
    >> ignored by the user.
    >>
    >> And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly
    >> innovative changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm,
    >> but that notion strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.
    >>
    >> Bob
    >>

    > I just mean they'll die much like Palm. They wouldn't be the first
    > company to dominate then decline. Look at RIM.

    In which of your fields of expertise are you relying upon for that
    statement.

    Marketing?

    computer science?

    Photography?

    Mathematics?

    Business analyst?

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 16, 2011
  8. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Sep 16, 2011
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 16, 8:49 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > RichA  <> wrote:
    > >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

    > >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/...

    > Same UI and same programs that will run on a phone, an Xbox, and a PC?
    >
    > Interesting idea.  And we've seen how tablets are doing.

    I still would like to know how people can replace computers/laptops
    with these things? I can't believe they actually type any amount of
    information on a touch-screen. It all must be basic browsing, simple
    purchases, etc.

    RichA, Sep 16, 2011
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 16, 7:45 am, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 9/16/2011 12:16 AM, Rich wrote:
    >

    > > Robert Coe<>  wrote in

    > >> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:28:03 -0700 (PDT), RichA<>
    > >> wrote:
    > >> : If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.
    > >> :
    > >> :http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/i
    > >> : ndex.htm

    > >> You realize of course, computer expert that you are, that every time
    > >> Microsoft releases a new operating system, their initial hype
    > >> empahsizes how different its look and feel will be. Then when the OS
    > >> actually comes out, the differences tend to be more minor than
    > >> advertised - mostly new cosmetic features that can be accepted or
    > >> ignored by the user.

    > >> And are you saying that Palm's decline can be traced to overly
    > >> innovative changes to their OS? I don't really know much about Palm,
    > >> but that notion strikes me as a considerable oversimplification.

    > >> Bob

    > > I just mean they'll die much like Palm.  They wouldn't be the first
    > > company to dominate then decline.  Look at RIM.

    > In which of your fields of expertise are you relying upon for that
    > statement.
    >
    > Marketing?
    >
    > computer science?
    >
    > Photography?
    >
    > Mathematics?
    >
    > Business analyst?
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    I've already answered that. Learn to read.

    RichA, Sep 16, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/16/2011 11:21 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Sep 16, 7:45 am, PeterN<> wrote:
    >> On 9/16/2011 12:16 AM, Rich wrote:
    >>

    >>> Robert Coe<> wrote in

    >>> I just mean they'll die much like Palm. They wouldn't be the first
    >>> company to dominate then decline. Look at RIM.

    >> In which of your fields of expertise are you relying upon for that
    >> statement.
    >>
    >> Marketing?
    >>
    >> computer science?
    >>
    >> Photography?
    >>
    >> Mathematics?
    >>
    >> Business analyst?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    > I've already answered that. Learn to read.

    Never clearly, and you have never responded to follow up questions. But,
    you keep trolling. What a sad life.
    BTW let's see you contribute something positive to the SI.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 16, 2011
  12. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:20:50 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Sep 16, 8:49 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> RichA  <> wrote:
    >> >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

    >> >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/...

    >> Same UI and same programs that will run on a phone, an Xbox, and a PC?
    >>
    >> Interesting idea.  And we've seen how tablets are doing.
    >>

    >I still would like to know how people can replace computers/laptops
    >with these things? I can't believe they actually type any amount of
    >information on a touch-screen. It all must be basic browsing, simple
    >purchases, etc.

    Pretty much the stuff they do with smartphones (except the phone
    parts) but with a bigger screen. I imagine a few smart folk will get a
    tablet for that stuff, and a more basic phone to compliment it.

    John A., Sep 16, 2011
  13. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Sep 16, 8:49 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> RichA  <> wrote:
    >> >If this doesn't hit, they'll end up just like Palm.

    >> >http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/technology/microsoft_build_windows_8/...

    >> Same UI and same programs that will run on a phone, an Xbox, and a PC?
    >>
    >> Interesting idea.  And we've seen how tablets are doing.

    >I still would like to know how people can replace computers/laptops
    >with these things?

    You don't need a laptop or computer to browse the web, deal with
    email, watch videos, and play games.

    > I can't believe they actually type any amount of
    >information on a touch-screen.

    Most computer usage isn't about typing.

    Ray Fischer, Sep 17, 2011