    But currently my "main" device is a slim 32-bit Windows 7 tablet with
    serious faults, so, my previous main device, quite a heavy 64-bit
    Windows 7 machine with a tablet mode, is still getting a lot of use.
    Robert Carnegie, May 13, 2013

  2. On Monday, 13 May 2013 03:09:40 UTC+1, Robert Carnegie wrote:
    > Since I'm following this group anyway, what will be in Windows 8.1,
    > when will it be out, and how much will it cost to upgrade an existing
    > device from Windows 8?
    >
    > ...64-bit version, that is (probably).

    I have some news now, from "The Inquirer" and

    http://blogs.windows.com/windows/b/.../2013/05/14/windows-keeps-getting-better.aspx

    ....yes, that is what it says.

    Specifically: Windows 8.1 will be free to Win 8 users,
    through the Windows Store, with a public beta release
    near the end of June.

    So that's to look forward to, eh?
    Robert Carnegie, May 16, 2013

  3. You know as much as anyone does. We know it will be free, and we know that
    non-VL versions will update through the Store. And we don't know when the
    final version will actually be out, just that it should be ready in time for
    the holidays. And I can work that back to tell me we should have an RTM
    about the last week in August if we're going to see it on machines selling
    for XMas.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel