    Should I throw the video board in the pond ?

    Thanks,
    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 26, 2012

  2. Lynn McGuire

    JJ Guest

    Lynn McGuire <> wrote:

    > I am using a Windows 7 x64 Pro pc for file and
    > print sharing for a 8 user group. The pc has a
    > Intel i7-2600k cpu with a Gigabyte z68xp-ud5h
    > motherboard and 16 Gb of ram.
    >
    > I am using a AMD 6790 video card that had trouble
    > with "streaking" on another pc with 2 monitors.
    >
    > The pc is randomly locking up after periods of
    > high disk access. Could it be the video board ?
    > Should I throw the video board in the pond ?

    Any warning or error in System and Application event logs?
    JJ, Jul 27, 2012

  3. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 7/27/2012 1:27 AM, JJ wrote:
    > Lynn McGuire <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am using a Windows 7 x64 Pro pc for file and
    >> print sharing for a 8 user group. The pc has a
    >> Intel i7-2600k cpu with a Gigabyte z68xp-ud5h
    >> motherboard and 16 Gb of ram.
    >>
    >> I am using a AMD 6790 video card that had trouble
    >> with "streaking" on another pc with 2 monitors.
    >>
    >> The pc is randomly locking up after periods of
    >> high disk access. Could it be the video board ?
    >> Should I throw the video board in the pond ?

    > Any warning or error in System and Application event logs?

    No.

    Thanks,
    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 27, 2012
  4. On Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:14:16 PM UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    > I am using a Windows 7 x64 Pro pc for file and
    > print sharing for a 8 user group. The pc has a
    > Intel i7-2600k cpu with a Gigabyte z68xp-ud5h
    > motherboard and 16 Gb of ram.
    >
    > I am using a AMD 6790 video card that had trouble
    > with "streaking" on another pc with 2 monitors.
    >
    > The pc is randomly locking up after periods of
    > high disk access. Could it be the video board ?
    >
    > Should I throw the video board in the pond ?

    I don't know anything about that card, but you could probably tune
    its "acceleration" down or off, or make Windows use a vanilla video
    driver, or disable Aero. That'll release some memory, anyway,
    and I suppose the card /could/ have a memory management issue.

    But disk activity or network activity in normal network use may
    be triggering the crash.

    It's a lot of memory for a server, so is it someone's PC?

    You could use a disk test tool - you may have one in BIOS.
    It could be a disk erase tool, so read the instructions
    and/or make sure of your system backup. SystemRescueCD
    is free, good for tools, less good for instructions.

    Or, carefully unplug and then re-connect the network card /and/
    the hard disk at every point in the system where unplugging
    is possible. Oh, and investigate whether the PC power supply
    has enough watts for all of your hardware. If there are USB
    peripherals, try a separate powered hub, to lighten the load.
    If the electricity supply is sub-standard, buffer it with an
    uninterruptible power supply that also makes the supply stable.
    Maybe don't power the monitor fr‰m the PC.
    Robert Carnegie, Jul 27, 2012
  5. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 7/27/2012 12:09 PM, R. C. White wrote:
    > Hi, Lynn.
    >
    > Any chance of a heat issue? That's what always comes to my mind when I hear of a failure after some operating time. Are your disks
    > internal or external? Adequately cooled? (Dust bunnies cleaned out recently?)
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-2010)
    > Windows Live Mail 2011 (Build 15.4.3555.0308) in Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

    Server is in 72 F room. Case interior is cool
    with case fan running at medium speed. The PC
    was fully rebuilt last week.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 28, 2012
  6. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 7/27/2012 4:27 PM, Robert Carnegie wrote:
    > On Thursday, July 26, 2012 5:14:16 PM UTC+1, Lynn McGuire wrote:
    >> I am using a Windows 7 x64 Pro pc for file and
    >> print sharing for a 8 user group. The pc has a
    >> Intel i7-2600k cpu with a Gigabyte z68xp-ud5h
    >> motherboard and 16 Gb of ram.
    >>
    >> I am using a AMD 6790 video card that had trouble
    >> with "streaking" on another pc with 2 monitors.
    >>
    >> The pc is randomly locking up after periods of
    >> high disk access. Could it be the video board ?
    >>
    >> Should I throw the video board in the pond ?

    > I don't know anything about that card, but you could probably tune
    > its "acceleration" down or off, or make Windows use a vanilla video
    > driver, or disable Aero. That'll release some memory, anyway,
    > and I suppose the card /could/ have a memory management issue.
    >
    > But disk activity or network activity in normal network use may
    > be triggering the crash.
    >
    > It's a lot of memory for a server, so is it someone's PC?
    >
    > You could use a disk test tool - you may have one in BIOS.
    > It could be a disk erase tool, so read the instructions
    > and/or make sure of your system backup. SystemRescueCD
    > is free, good for tools, less good for instructions.
    >
    > Or, carefully unplug and then re-connect the network card /and/
    > the hard disk at every point in the system where unplugging
    > is possible. Oh, and investigate whether the PC power supply
    > has enough watts for all of your hardware. If there are USB
    > peripherals, try a separate powered hub, to lighten the load.
    > If the electricity supply is sub-standard, buffer it with an
    > uninterruptible power supply that also makes the supply stable.
    > Maybe don't power the monitor fr‰m the PC.

    16 GB of ram is cheap, only $90:

    http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Channel-Memory-CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B/dp/B004RFBIUU/

    I swapped the video board for a AMD 6850 HD. It
    started streaking on me while I installed ACT! 2012
    and I decided that was bad sign.

    Yes, I have a UPS.

    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Jul 28, 2012
  7. Lynn McGuire

    miso Guest

    > Yes, I have a UPS.
    >
    > Lynn

    Some UPSs are worse than wall power, especially any modified sine unit.

    If you "rebuilt" the PC and added more RAM, I wonder if you need to
    adjust ram timing. Maybe the automatic settings are too fast.

    I've run into RAM issues where it matters how the DIMMs are built, i.e.
    what size memory chips are used. That is, some DIMMs are comprised of
    higher density chips which in turn loads down the memory bus less.

    More RAM is always good, even if it means slower bus timing. My next
    system will have 32Gbytes. All the better for virtual machines.
    miso, Aug 2, 2012
  8. Lynn McGuire

    Lynn McGuire Guest

    On 8/1/2012 9:08 PM, miso wrote:

    >> Yes, I have a UPS.
    >>
    >> Lynn
    >>

    > Some UPSs are worse than wall power, especially any modified sine unit.
    >
    > If you "rebuilt" the PC and added more RAM, I wonder if you need to adjust ram timing. Maybe the automatic settings are too fast.
    >
    > I've run into RAM issues where it matters how the DIMMs are built, i.e. what size memory chips are used. That is, some DIMMs are
    > comprised of higher density chips which in turn loads down the memory bus less.
    >
    > More RAM is always good, even if it means slower bus timing. My next system will have 32Gbytes. All the better for virtual machines.

    I've got 5 other PCs with the same motherboard
    and ram combo. Of course, none are a file server.

    Thanks,
    Lynn
    Lynn McGuire, Aug 2, 2012
  9. Lynn McGuire

    miso Guest

    > I've got 5 other PCs with the same motherboard
    > and ram combo. Of course, none are a file server.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Lynn

    Well there is always the ram test. Takes forever though.
    miso, Aug 2, 2012
  10. On Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:19:06 PM UTC+1, wrote:
    > > I've got 5 other PCs with the same motherboard
    > > and ram combo. Of course, none are a file server.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Lynn

    > Well there is always the ram test. Takes forever though.

    Maybe it would be quicker to swap the RAM into a different machine.

    I had a PC crashing which turned out to be, I think, a RAM module
    returning some bits correct and some wrong, and somehow the EFI test
    reported that the RAM was okay. However, a program on SystemRescueCD
    and available separately, named Memtest, Memtest86, or MemTest86+ -
    I think the third is a fork of the second - found the bad module.
    It was designed to report single bad bytes or bits in memory (and then
    you just set your PC to not use those memory locations!), so 2 GB
    playing up all at once was quite indigestible.

    I also once, long ago, helped a colleague at work with their home
    computer, and with the boss's consent, by swapping their memory
    modules with those in a workplace PC. Since both computers worked
    afterwards, the boss was happy to let the memory stay swapped.
    The specification of the memory modules was the same, so I don't know
    why there was a problem, but the other interesting features, as far as
    I remember, were that (similarly?) the operation of cache memory meant
    that the BIOS test didn't detect a fault, and/or data in RAM was
    corrupted if you left it several seconds between writing and reading,
    so I suppose you say that it wasn't refreshing right - that could be
    why it passed tests, it hadn't got corrupted yet.

    This was back around the days when well-informed burglars would break
    into offices and pull memory modules out of desktop PCs - they just
    took the RAM. I accept that this is a while ago, but, even so, you're
    using a well-specified PC for a job that I believe could be done by
    a Raspberry Pi.
    Robert Carnegie, Aug 3, 2012