    after I click "continue".

    Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?

    Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).
    Gib Bogle, Aug 25, 2010

  2. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
    > finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up
    > extraneous stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it
    > makes it more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating
    > for me, just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I
    > don't need little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
    >
    > More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
    > administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
    > do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
    > will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
    > into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
    > destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
    > do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
    >
    > Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
    >
    > Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

    There are so many small annoyances. Windows will not let me type '\' in many
    places. It ignores the keystroke until I hit '\' again, then it displays '\\',
    so I have to backspace. WTF?
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010

  3. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    On 26/08/2010 10:34 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
    > finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up extraneous
    > stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it makes it
    > more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating for me,
    > just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I don't need
    > little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
    >
    > More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
    > administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
    > do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
    > will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
    > into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
    > destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
    > do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
    >
    > Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
    >
    > Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

    You could try
    Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    Then slide the slider to Never Notify.
    victor, Aug 26, 2010
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    victor wrote:
    > On 26/08/2010 10:34 a.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> I'm having my first exposure to Windows 7 (migrating from XP) and I'm
    >> finding it quite frustrating. First, it insists on popping up extraneous
    >> stuff all over the place, I guess because someone thinks it makes it
    >> more user-friendly, but it just makes it more user-irritating for me,
    >> just a distraction. Trying to emulate the Mac, I presume. I don't need
    >> little pictures to tell me what things are, I can read.
    >>
    >> More seriously annoying is the fact that although I supposedly have
    >> administrator rights, I can't do some things that I expect to be able to
    >> do. E.g., I want to install some software in Program Files (x86). It
    >> will not permit Winzip to unzip into that directory. I have to unzip
    >> into a temp directory somewhere, then copy the folders one by one to the
    >> destination. Even then it insists on telling me each time that I can't
    >> do it, then lets me do it after I click "continue".
    >>
    >> Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?
    >>
    >> Advice welcomed (except for stupid OS bigotry).

    > You could try
    > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Control Settings
    > Then slide the slider to Never Notify.

    Thanks, I'm trying this. Actually it's under:
    Control Panel > System and Security > Change User Account Control Settings
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe ' or the
    backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of these characters
    until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in text editors (e.g.
    Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of my intentions by MS drives
    me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  6. In message <i545q2$j2j$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > ... (except for stupid OS bigotry).

    And how would you describe your post?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 26, 2010
  7. Gib Bogle

    Penguin Man Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:52:08 +1200, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe ' or the
    >backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of these characters
    >until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in text editors (e.g.
    >Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of my intentions by MS drives
    >me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

    Use Google and find all your answers, other wise you will only stir up
    the Penguin nest here.
    Penguin Man, Aug 26, 2010
  8. Gib Bogle

    victor Guest

    On 26/08/2010 12:52 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe '
    > or the backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of
    > these characters until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in
    > text editors (e.g. Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of
    > my intentions by MS drives me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

    It isn't normal behavior, my W7 doesn't do it.
    victor, Aug 26, 2010
  9. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    victor wrote:
    > On 26/08/2010 12:52 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Do you have any idea why W7 will not let me type either the apostrophe '
    >> or the backslash \ ? To be more precise, it doesn't display either of
    >> these characters until another key is hit. This happens, for example, in
    >> text editors (e.g. Notepad or Wordpad). This sort of double-guessing of
    >> my intentions by MS drives me up the wall. Can this "help" be turned off?

    > It isn't normal behavior, my W7 doesn't do it.

    Hmm. It happens in Word too, and even at the Command Prompt. Since it isn't
    normal behaviour for Windows 7 Professional, what else could be causing it?
    This is a new install, so nothing has been changed.
    After an online search I checked the keyboard setting, and found it was set to
    English-Yoruba. Interesting. OK now.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <i545q2$j2j$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> ... (except for stupid OS bigotry).

    > And how would you describe your post?

    As expressing irritation.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  11. In message <i54jk6$cb4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <i545q2$j2j$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... (except for stupid OS bigotry).

    >> And how would you describe your post?

    > As expressing irritation.

    So you wouldn’t describe “insists on popping up extraneous stuff all
    over the place†and “trying to emulate the Mac†and “insists on telling me
    each time that I can't do it, then lets me do it†as “stupid OS bigotryâ€,
    nay, in fact, thoroughly uninformed OS bigotry?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 26, 2010
  12. Gib Bogle

    peterwn Guest

    On Aug 26, 1:05 pm, Penguin Man <> wrote:

    > Use Google and find all your answers, other wise you will only stir up
    > the Penguin nest here.

    He has already stirred up the resident wintroll.
    peterwn, Aug 26, 2010
  13. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <i54jk6$cb4$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> And how would you describe your post?

    >> As expressing irritation.

    > So you wouldn’t describe “insists on popping up extraneous stuff all
    > over the place†and “trying to emulate the Mac†and “insists on telling me
    > each time that I can't do it, then lets me do it†as “stupid OS bigotryâ€,
    > nay, in fact, thoroughly uninformed OS bigotry?

    No. If I was an anti-MS bigot, would I be choosing to use Windows 7? Think
    about it.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  14. In message <i54lp0$fq3$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > If I was an anti-MS bigot, would I be choosing to use Windows 7?

    You know what Windows is like—people are forced into it for various reasons.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 26, 2010
  15. Gib Bogle

    Richard Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > There are so many small annoyances. Windows will not let me type '\' in
    > many places. It ignores the keystroke until I hit '\' again, then it
    > displays '\\', so I have to backspace. WTF?

    Turn your keyboard back to US not one of the international options if
    you dont like dead keys
    Richard, Aug 26, 2010
  16. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <i54lp0$fq3$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> If I was an anti-MS bigot, would I be choosing to use Windows 7?

    > You know what Windows is like—people are forced into it for various reasons.

    Just to be clear - I am not forced. This machine will be Linux-bootable as
    well, and I am also starting to use a Mac OS X machine. Having become quite
    accustomed to XP (quite happy with it, in fact), I'm having to adjust to W7.
    Like Matty, I don't understand why MS have to change things that seem to working
    OK. Chalk it up to age.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  17. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> There are so many small annoyances. Windows will not let me type '\'
    >> in many places. It ignores the keystroke until I hit '\' again, then
    >> it displays '\\', so I have to backspace. WTF?

    > Turn your keyboard back to US not one of the international options if
    > you dont like dead keys

    It's fixed. It wasn't a matter of dead keys, but of keys that had to be hit
    twice, and would then display two characters.
    Gib Bogle, Aug 26, 2010
  18. Gib Bogle

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-08-26, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <i54lp0$fq3$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I was an anti-MS bigot, would I be choosing to use Windows 7?

    >> You know what Windows is like?people are forced into it for various reasons.

    > Just to be clear - I am not forced. This machine will be Linux-bootable as
    > well, and I am also starting to use a Mac OS X machine. Having become quite
    > accustomed to XP (quite happy with it, in fact), I'm having to adjust to W7.
    > Like Matty, I don't understand why MS have to change things that seem to working
    > OK. Chalk it up to age.

    Look things have to change, for it is a different version. If you wanted one
    the same you should just keep the old one.

    If everything is changed it must be better. After all Vista, MS Windows most
    sucessful OS to date changed things and it was so much better that Windows 7
    has to try just that bit harder
    Gordon, Aug 26, 2010
  19. In message <i54n5u$hjs$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Like Matty, I don't understand why MS have to change things that seem
    > to working

    Why not complain to the developer team at Microsoft who actually wrote the
    software, and I’m sure they’ll take your opinions into account in their
    ongoing updates.

    Oh wait, you can’t.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 26, 2010
  20. Gib Bogle

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:34:42 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Is there something I need to know to avoid this nonsense?

    Yes. Not use WinNT6.x - the behavior you're describing is fundamentally
    built into the OS and is seen by Microsoft as good and desirable. :(

    Sweetpea, Aug 26, 2010