    "Maybe I'll sell you a chicken... with poison interlaced with the meat"
    -Ween, "Buenos Tardes Amigo"
    http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=csEJW69-C2Q

    Tony in Oz, Feb 11, 2009

  2. Tony in Oz

    Peter M Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:43:22 GMT, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:

    >Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my spare
    >machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768 MB RAM, due
    >to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots on the mainboard.
    >Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play with it. Apparently it
    >only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so months to play. Anyone else
    >using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

    Why commit suicide what its much the same as VISTA..

    Peter M, Feb 11, 2009

  3. Tony in Oz

    peterwn Guest

    On Feb 11, 10:43 pm, "Tony in Oz" <> wrote:
    > Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my spare
    > machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768 MB RAM, due
    > to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots on the mainboard.
    > Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play with it. Apparently it
    > only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so months to play. Anyone else
    > using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

    Is W7 chock full of memory cycle and RAM grabbing software to try and
    make the system resistant to digital rights hacking?

    Suppose the minimum requirements are more than a P4 with 500M memory,
    so I cannot test drive it.

    peterwn, Feb 11, 2009
  4. Tony in Oz

    Peter M Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:00:29 +1300, "Trueone" <> wrote:

    >Roger there is nothing wrong with Vista. I have used it since it was
    >released and have had no problems. Had it on 2 desktops and 5 laptops. On
    >this laptop I tried Lunux and liked it but could not get a windows program
    >to work. using wine I would have but not too familiar. will go to linux
    >when a windows I dont like is released. for fun tried xp on this one and
    >didnt like it so have restored vista. Vista has been as fast for me as xp
    >and far more stable. I know people have had problems but not for me. Note
    >I dont play games.
    >
    >you probably havent even used it and as usual go by what you have only read.
    >Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised

    Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be shit..

    About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

    Peter M, Feb 12, 2009
  5. Tony in Oz

    Richard Guest

    Peter M wrote:

    > Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be shit..
    >
    > About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

    ....what?

    Richard, Feb 12, 2009
  6. On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:21:12 +1300, Peter M <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:00:29 +1300, "Trueone" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Roger there is nothing wrong with Vista. I have used it since it was
    >>released and have had no problems. Had it on 2 desktops and 5 laptops. On
    >>this laptop I tried Lunux and liked it but could not get a windows program
    >>to work. using wine I would have but not too familiar. will go to linux
    >>when a windows I dont like is released. for fun tried xp on this one and
    >>didnt like it so have restored vista. Vista has been as fast for me as xp
    >>and far more stable. I know people have had problems but not for me. Note
    >>I dont play games.
    >>
    >>you probably havent even used it and as usual go by what you have only read.
    >>Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised
    >>

    >Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be shit..

    Clearly you have not been keeping up with the news then. Vista works
    fine. On modern hardware. SP1 got rid of the things that turned most
    people off Vista.

    >About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

    So what? Vista runs just fine on my PC and my laptop. They are
    modern enough that they have what is needed to run it. If a business
    was thinking of just putting Vista on existing machines that have been
    around for years, then there would be bad problems. If they are
    buying new machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at
    least 1.5 Gibytes of RAM.

    Stephen Worthington, Feb 12, 2009
  7. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-02-12, Richard <> wrote:
    > Peter M wrote:
    >
    >> Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be shit..
    >>
    >> About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

    > ...what?

    No. Read as in aware of what the public says about Microsoft Vista, the
    once hype pumped to hell next OS.

    Time has judged it fit for history. Let it go there, and we all will be able
    to move on

    Gordon, Feb 12, 2009
  8. Tony in Oz

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-02-12, Stephen Worthington <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:21:12 +1300, Peter M <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:00:29 +1300, "Trueone" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Roger there is nothing wrong with Vista. I have used it since it was
    >>>released and have had no problems. Had it on 2 desktops and 5 laptops. On
    >>>this laptop I tried Lunux and liked it but could not get a windows program
    >>>to work. using wine I would have but not too familiar. will go to linux
    >>>when a windows I dont like is released. for fun tried xp on this one and
    >>>didnt like it so have restored vista. Vista has been as fast for me as xp
    >>>and far more stable. I know people have had problems but not for me. Note
    >>>I dont play games.
    >>>
    >>>you probably havent even used it and as usual go by what you have only read.
    >>>Give it a try and you may be pleasantly surprised
    >>>

    >>Why would I put a Lemon in my PC, also if it smell like hit then it most be shit..

    > Clearly you have not been keeping up with the news then. Vista works
    > fine. On modern hardware. SP1 got rid of the things that turned most
    > people off Vista.
    >
    >>About 80 of Business don't use VISTA, seems you need to read some news..

    > So what? Vista runs just fine on my PC and my laptop. They are
    > modern enough that they have what is needed to run it. If a business
    > was thinking of just putting Vista on existing machines that have been
    > around for years, then there would be bad problems. If they are
    > buying new machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at
    > least 1.5 Gibytes of RAM.

    Time changes things. As did ASUS and Eee.

    The fact, spin from MS is that 7 will require less RAM. So just like the NZ
    sheep population life goes on with less RAM(s).

    This VISTA, vs 7, vs XP is getting really interesting. Certainly shows that
    MS has lost control of the followers wallets 100%

    Gordon, Feb 12, 2009
  9. Tony in Oz

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:31:15 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > If they are buying new
    > machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at least 1.5
    > Gibytes of RAM.

    That's a good one. Think I'll sit it out to Win 7, then. Thanks for the
    heads up :-D

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Feb 12, 2009
  10. Tony in Oz

    Tony in Oz Guest

    "Mike Dee" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 05:31:15 +0000, Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> If they are buying new
    >> machines with Vista, it will work well. But you do need at least 1.5
    >> Gibytes of RAM.

    > That's a good one. Think I'll sit it out to Win 7, then. Thanks for the
    > heads up :-D
    >
    > --
    > dee

    The installation I have seems to be running reasonably well, considering
    the 768 MB RAM I have installed. There is a feature inside it which rates
    how well your machine should run considering the installed hardware, and
    mine is showing up as a "1"., which would appear to be not as well as at
    would run with more modern hardware. The graphics card in particular is
    quite old, and was never anything flash as the box I am running it on is
    about 4 years old, and its last function was running a till as an XP box.,
    not a very stressful existance.

    Tony in Oz, Feb 12, 2009
  11. Tony in Oz

    baldrick Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:54:46 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > No. Read as in aware of what the public says about Microsoft Vista, the
    > once hype pumped to hell next OS.
    >
    > Time has judged it fit for history. Let it go there, and we all will be
    > able to move on

    No different than the opensource flop called opensuse 11 and the kde4 /
    pulse chit***

    Biggles ..

    baldrick, Feb 12, 2009
  12. Tony in Oz

    baldrick Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:54:46 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > No. Read as in aware of what the public says about Microsoft Vista, the
    > once hype pumped to hell next OS.
    >
    > Time has judged it fit for history. Let it go there, and we all will be
    > able to move on

    Just like the public decided the open soure desktop offerings were just
    server operating systems with crappy I/O under heavy load & moved on with
    Windows operating systems.

    Read the article BY Ashton Mills .

    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/108936,kernel-engineering.aspx

    Where even Mills states that the Vista has the better scheduler lol.

    Or you could search the Ubuntu forums where for years the problem has
    never been fixed .. why because the Open source market doesnt give a crap
    about the desktop market.

    So stop serving up that crappy solution of using a server OS as desktop
    solution dimwit.

    Biggles

    baldrick, Feb 12, 2009
  13. Tony in Oz

    Mike Dee Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:07:34 +0000, Tony in Oz wrote:

    > The installation I have seems to be running reasonably well,
    > considering
    > the 768 MB RAM I have installed. There is a feature inside it which rates
    > how well your machine should run considering the installed hardware, and
    > mine is showing up as a "1"., which would appear to be not as well as at
    > would run with more modern hardware. The graphics card in particular is
    > quite old, and was never anything flash as the box I am running it on is
    > about 4 years old, and its last function was running a till as an XP box.,
    > not a very stressful existance.

    Thanks for the results so far, Tony. You're a braver bloke than me ;-)

    When it does go gold and is available with new pc's it will probably
    coincide with my next new 'puter purchase. Whether it will be running
    Windows 'tho, remains to be seen.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Feb 12, 2009
  14. Tony in Oz

    Biggles Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:01:07 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    > Time changes things. As did ASUS and Eee.

    Time doesn't really change things people try Linux commercially and find
    its a dead end ..

    HP ditches Linux option for UK netbooks
    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39611446,00.htm
    Just another linux flop..

    > The fact, spin from MS is that 7 will require less RAM. So just like the
    > NZ sheep population life goes on with less RAM(s).

    Reduced over head / faster / runs on slower hardware tell me how that is
    a bad thing .. MS have given up trying to try drive hardware sales &
    anyone with half a brain could figure out that is much better for the
    consumers.

    > This VISTA, vs 7, vs XP is getting really interesting. Certainly shows
    > that MS has lost control of the followers wallets 100%

    Remind us all about 2 % of market share that OSS holds after what some 17
    years..

    Biggles.

    Biggles, Feb 12, 2009
  15. Tony in Oz

    Biggles Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:27:43 +1300, Puddle wrote:

    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> Anyone using the Beta version of this? I downloaded it, although my
    >> spare machine that i put it on,, being a 1.5 GHz machine, only has 768
    >> MB RAM, due to me only having sticks of 256. and its only got 3 slots
    >> on the mainboard. Seems to run ok, although I'm yet to have a good play
    >> with it. Apparently it only runs till Aug 1, so still gives me 5 or so
    >> months to play. Anyone else using it? Any thoughts? Cheers

    I just have it running under a VM at the moment.

    > I have had only a very brief look at it, from a very fast first
    > impression it looked like vista but faster and more polished. What
    > vista should have been basically. As all the reviews have been pretty
    > good of windows 7, I think MS are going to have a hell of a time
    > promoting vista now. Windows 7 looks good but still.. not sure there is
    > anything there that makes me think.. I have to leave xp for this, though
    > directx will probably make me leave eventually.

    Vista 64 really shines on a multi core cpu and rocks on the few games i
    have tried .. and no doubt W7 will be the same after all its the same
    code base.

    It will all come down to its pricing I think ...

    Biggles ....................

    Biggles, Feb 12, 2009
  16. In message <_4xkl.19526$>, Tony in Oz
    wrote:

    > Anyone using the Beta version of this?

    It's worth pointing out that the beta is of the "Ultimate" edition--i.e.,
    the most expensive one. Realistically, the release version you're likely to
    buy isn't going to have all those features.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 13, 2009
  17. Tony in Oz

    Terminal

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2009
    Messages:
    2
    I hope that this software is more reliable than Vista has been. I think that I will wait until this has been released and tested before I take the plunge.

    Terminal, Feb 15, 2009