Windows 7 won't let me see images on external drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Donahoo, Dec 11, 2009.

  1. Donahoo

    Donahoo Guest

    After a disastrous 3 attempts at trying to upgraded 64-bit Vista to
    64-bit Windows 7, I finally have a working system after a clean
    installation of Windows 7. In the interim between upgrade attempts, I
    used Vista for 3 weeks, installing and using programs. I have an
    external hard drive just full of things acquired or created with Windows
    XP programs. Windows 7 will not show thumbnails of some .jpg and .png
    files; won't show previews, won't let me open them in Paint Shop Pro.
    Says I don't have permission to access the files; security tab in
    properties says can't identify the owner of the file. I read in the help
    files that I have to take ownership of the file, which I can do one file
    at a time. If I try to take ownership of the entire folder, Windows
    balks at these files, saying "access denied."

    Is there anything I can do short of changing the settings on each file
    separately? I didn't have this problem while I was using Vista, and I
    don't have this problem with music files or application downloads, only
    images.

    Donahoo, Dec 11, 2009

  2. Donahoo

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Taking ownership of a whole folder sometimes is tricky.
    I am now at work with an XP machine so I will try to walk you throgh using
    my (scarce) memory.
    Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the Security tab.
    No click on the lower button (Advanced) and change the owner from whatever
    it is to you.
    Don't forget to mark one or two checkboxes about extending the ownership to
    files and subfolders.
    Click Accept as many times as necessary to exit. Win 7 may complain in the
    process. Just don't care.
    Once you are "out". Right click on the folder, Properties and go to the
    Security tab again.
    Now click on the upper button (Modify or Add?) and add yourself as user if
    you are not there.
    Assign yourself "Total Control" and accept as many times as necessary.
    That should have done it!
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 11, 2009

  3. Donahoo

    Donahoo Guest

    Carlos wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Taking ownership of a whole folder sometimes is tricky.
    > I am now at work with an XP machine so I will try to walk you throgh using
    > my (scarce) memory.
    > Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the Security tab.
    > No click on the lower button (Advanced) and change the owner from whatever
    > it is to you.
    > Don't forget to mark one or two checkboxes about extending the ownership to
    > files and subfolders.
    > Click Accept as many times as necessary to exit. Win 7 may complain in the
    > process. Just don't care.
    > Once you are "out". Right click on the folder, Properties and go to the
    > Security tab again.
    > Now click on the upper button (Modify or Add?) and add yourself as user if
    > you are not there.
    > Assign yourself "Total Control" and accept as many times as necessary.
    > That should have done it!
    > Carlos
    >
    > "Donahoo" wrote:
    >
    >> After a disastrous 3 attempts at trying to upgraded 64-bit Vista to
    >> 64-bit Windows 7, I finally have a working system after a clean
    >> installation of Windows 7. In the interim between upgrade attempts, I
    >> used Vista for 3 weeks, installing and using programs. I have an
    >> external hard drive just full of things acquired or created with Windows
    >> XP programs. Windows 7 will not show thumbnails of some .jpg and .png
    >> files; won't show previews, won't let me open them in Paint Shop Pro.
    >> Says I don't have permission to access the files; security tab in
    >> properties says can't identify the owner of the file. I read in the help
    >> files that I have to take ownership of the file, which I can do one file
    >> at a time. If I try to take ownership of the entire folder, Windows
    >> balks at these files, saying "access denied."
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can do short of changing the settings on each file
    >> separately? I didn't have this problem while I was using Vista, and I
    >> don't have this problem with music files or application downloads, only
    >> images.
    >> .

    I'm at work on an XP machine too, Carlos. Thanks for the suggestions,
    I'm forwarding this to myself at home and will try this later today.

    Donahoo, Dec 11, 2009
  4. Donahoo

    Tom Orle Guest

    Carlos <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Taking ownership of a whole folder sometimes is tricky.
    >I am now at work with an XP machine so I will try to walk you throgh using
    >my (scarce) memory.
    >Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the Security tab.
    >No click on the lower button (Advanced) and change the owner from whatever
    >it is to you.
    >Don't forget to mark one or two checkboxes about extending the ownership to
    >files and subfolders.
    >Click Accept as many times as necessary to exit. Win 7 may complain in the
    >process. Just don't care.
    >Once you are "out". Right click on the folder, Properties and go to the
    >Security tab again.
    >Now click on the upper button (Modify or Add?) and add yourself as user if
    >you are not there.
    >Assign yourself "Total Control" and accept as many times as necessary.
    >That should have done it!

    I found an easier way - having been a fan of MS's TweakUI since Win
    98SE I looked for a copy that runs with W7. What I found was a TweakUI
    like tool that, among other great tweaking options, also allows you to
    set ownership to files as well as folders:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista
    Now, if you right click on a folder icon youll see a 'take ownership'
    option you can select.

    -=tom=-

    Tom Orle, Dec 11, 2009
  5. Donahoo

    Donahoo Guest

    Tom Orle wrote:
    > Carlos <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Taking ownership of a whole folder sometimes is tricky.
    >> I am now at work with an XP machine so I will try to walk you throgh using
    >> my (scarce) memory.
    >> Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the Security tab.
    >> No click on the lower button (Advanced) and change the owner from whatever
    >> it is to you.
    >> Don't forget to mark one or two checkboxes about extending the ownership to
    >> files and subfolders.
    >> Click Accept as many times as necessary to exit. Win 7 may complain in the
    >> process. Just don't care.
    >> Once you are "out". Right click on the folder, Properties and go to the
    >> Security tab again.
    >> Now click on the upper button (Modify or Add?) and add yourself as user if
    >> you are not there.
    >> Assign yourself "Total Control" and accept as many times as necessary.
    >> That should have done it!

    > I found an easier way - having been a fan of MS's TweakUI since Win
    > 98SE I looked for a copy that runs with W7. What I found was a TweakUI
    > like tool that, among other great tweaking options, also allows you to
    > set ownership to files as well as folders:
    > http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista
    > Now, if you right click on a folder icon youll see a 'take ownership'
    > option you can select.
    >
    > -=tom=-

    This looks good, thanks a lot Tom. Sending a copy to my home computer.

    Donahoo, Dec 11, 2009
  6. Donahoo

    Donahoo Guest

    This didn't work, same message: "access denied" on the same files when
    trying to take ownership of the folder. The only think that finally
    worked was moving the folder of images to the C drive, after which they
    miraculously belong to me.

    Donahoo, Dec 14, 2009
  7. Donahoo

    Donahoo Guest

    Tom Orle wrote:
    > Carlos <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Taking ownership of a whole folder sometimes is tricky.
    >> I am now at work with an XP machine so I will try to walk you throgh using
    >> my (scarce) memory.
    >> Right click on the folder, choose Properties and go to the Security tab.
    >> No click on the lower button (Advanced) and change the owner from whatever
    >> it is to you.
    >> Don't forget to mark one or two checkboxes about extending the ownership to
    >> files and subfolders.
    >> Click Accept as many times as necessary to exit. Win 7 may complain in the
    >> process. Just don't care.
    >> Once you are "out". Right click on the folder, Properties and go to the
    >> Security tab again.
    >> Now click on the upper button (Modify or Add?) and add yourself as user if
    >> you are not there.
    >> Assign yourself "Total Control" and accept as many times as necessary.
    >> That should have done it!

    > I found an easier way - having been a fan of MS's TweakUI since Win
    > 98SE I looked for a copy that runs with W7. What I found was a TweakUI
    > like tool that, among other great tweaking options, also allows you to
    > set ownership to files as well as folders:
    > http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-v2-a-tweak-ui-for-windows-7-vista
    > Now, if you right click on a folder icon youll see a 'take ownership'
    > option you can select.
    >
    > -=tom=-

    This didn't work either, for the folder anyway. Could take ownership of
    individual files but I was trying to avoid that, and I could have
    accomplished that without this program. But thanks for the link; it
    looks to be a very useful thing to have.

    Donahoo, Dec 14, 2009