    example. Other upgrades I believe I could do a fresh install as long as I
    had a copy of Vista to show I owned it. Is this still true? Also my copy
    of Vista 64 Ultimate is from Dell, will this matter?

    David B. Mathews, Jun 26, 2009

  2. According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have
    either Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the
    current partition and and proceed from them during the installation.

    http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102

    * Running Windows Vista?
    * If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade
    versions. You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install,
    and reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7
    installs over Windows Vista).

    * Running earlier versions?
    * If you have Windows XP or Windows 2000, you can purchase Windows 7
    Upgrade versions. But you must back up your files, clean install, and
    reinstall your applications.

    You should contact Microsoft to answer about upgrading from Dell OEM.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 26, 2009

  3. David B. Mathews

    Bioboffin Guest

    "Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have either
    > Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the current
    > partition and and proceed from them during the installation.
    >
    > http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Windows-7/category/102
    >
    > * Running Windows Vista?
    > * If you have Windows Vista, you can purchase Windows 7 Upgrade versions.
    > You can do a clean install (back up your files, clean install, and
    > reinstall your applications) or an in-place upgrade (Windows 7 installs
    > over Windows Vista).

    Except for those of us who live in the EU, where no upgrades will be
    possible.

    http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39445486,00.htm

    I always preferred to do a clean install anyway!

    --

    John

    Bioboffin, Jun 26, 2009
  4. David B. Mathews

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 26/06/2009 in message <> Bioboffin
    wrote:

    >"Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >>According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you have either
    >>Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning you delete the current
    >>partition and and proceed from them during the installation.

    [snipped]
    >Except for those of us who live in the EU, where no upgrades will be
    >possible.
    >
    >http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39445486,00.htm
    >
    >I always preferred to do a clean install anyway!

    We're getting used to taking it up the a**e from the EU here in the UK :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines

    Jeff Gaines, Jun 26, 2009
  5. David B. Mathews

    Sparky Guest

    The ad I received here in Canada states that ' All Versions of XP and Vista
    qualify' for the upgrade.
    Does that include OEM ? Is there any way to confirm it before purchase ?

    Thanks

    Sparky, Jun 26, 2009
  6. Contact Microsoft. This is not a marketing group. This group deals
    with the functioning of Windows, not the marketing.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 26, 2009
  7. David B. Mathews

    David B. Guest

    It has in the past, so probably still does.

    David B., Jun 26, 2009
  8. David B. Mathews

    Bo Persson Guest

    Jeff Gaines wrote:
    > On 26/06/2009 in message <>
    > Bioboffin wrote:
    >

    >> "Bobby Johnson" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> According to Microsoft you can use the upgrade version if you
    >>> have either Vista or XP. XP requires a fresh install, meaning
    >>> you delete the current partition and and proceed from them during
    >>> the installation.

    > [snipped]
    >> Except for those of us who live in the EU, where no upgrades will
    >> be possible.
    >>
    >> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39445486,00.htm
    >>
    >> I always preferred to do a clean install anyway!

    > We're getting used to taking it up the a**e from the EU here in the
    > UK :)

    Right, and the fact that MS has decided to ship an 'E' version without
    IE8 makes it impossible for them to sell an upgrade?

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jun 26, 2009
  9. David B. Mathews

    Guest Guest

    In the purchase of the upgrade there is no indication of a choice between
    the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. How do you choose? I'll like the 64 bit
    since I'm currently evaluating a 64 bit version. Can someone explain.

    Guest, Jun 26, 2009
  10. Contact Microsoft and ask them.

    This is not Microsoft Marketing!

    This is a user's group for the operation of the Windows operating 64-bit
    operating.

    This group has absolutely NOTHING to do with Marketing!

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 26, 2009
  11. David B. Mathews

    OldLee Guest

    Check out the FAQ's on
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-email-faq.aspx . I
    Quote "You'll get both. Windows 7 Home Premium and Professional packaged
    products include both 32- and 64-bit discs."

    Lee Steele

    OldLee, Jun 26, 2009
  12. David B. Mathews

    Sparky Guest

    > Contact Microsoft and ask them.
    >
    > This is not Microsoft Marketing!
    >
    > This is a user's group for the operation of the Windows operating 64-bit
    > operating.
    >
    > This group has absolutely NOTHING to do with Marketing!
    >

    > wrote:
    >> In the purchase of the upgrade there is no indication of a choice between
    >> the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. How do you choose? I'll like the 64 bit
    >> since I'm currently evaluating a 64 bit version. Can someone explain.

    We're not talking about the colour of the box , or even how long the offer
    is valid which I WOULD consider marketing related questions
    Our questions are related to the eligibility of existing operating systems
    and how they relate to the product that's offered.
    If you're not able or willing to answer the questions , I suggest you ignore
    them and move on.

    Sparky, Jun 26, 2009
  13. David B. Mathews

    Rom Guest

    On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:13:13 -0400, David B. Mathews wrote:

    > They have an early deal where we can get a upgrade to Windows 7 for $49 but

    That's USD and the pre-order about half price deal only on Premium and
    Professional is not offered in this region (AU/NZ). What we get are
    higher prices, as usual.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/australia/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx>
    And there's no offer for having Vista already.

    I like Vista 64-bit, and more reason to not upgrade to Win7.

    <http://www.cnet.com.au/microsoft-hikes-win7-prices-for-australia-339297112.htm>

    <http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/06/aussie-windows-7-pricing-announced/>

    <http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/06/windows-7-pricing-good-news-mostly/>

    <http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/06/windows-7-australian-upgrade-pricing-unclear-and-expensive/>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Jun 27, 2009
  14. And what do you not understand about "this is not Marketing?"

    Your question about the upgrade offer have absolutely NOTHING to do with
    the operation of 64-bit Windows. This is a PEER group, not Microsoft
    employees!

    So, it doesn't make any difference if you are asking about the colour of
    the box, how long the offer is valid, eligibility for the upgrade, and
    how they relate to the offer; they're ALL Marketing! None of them have
    any relationship to how 64-bit Windows runs!

    Would you go to a grocer for computer hardware?

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 27, 2009
  15. When a person asks a question they are hoping someone will have the answer
    no matter what it is about. That to me is what a forum is about. Since
    this doesn't happen to be YOUR forum and you are NOT the forum GOD if you
    don't have the answer to the question just butt out as someone may have had
    the same question and called MS and got the answer.
    ======================

    David B. Mathews, Jun 27, 2009
  16. David B. Mathews

    Bioboffin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > In the purchase of the upgrade there is no indication of a choice between
    > the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. How do you choose? I'll like the 64 bit
    > since I'm currently evaluating a 64 bit version. Can someone explain.

    I've done some searching on the web and have been unable to find the
    definitive answer about whether 32bit and 64bit versions will be on the same
    disk, or whether (as with most versions of Vista) you need to order one or
    the other. I did find this, which might help to answer your question:

    http://community.winsupersite.com/b...-7-upgrade-media-what-about-x64-upgrades.aspx

    --

    John

    Bioboffin, Jun 27, 2009
  17. And then you have those who feel they are not obligated to post items
    germane to the group as titled.

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 27, 2009
  18. See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/pre-order-faq.aspx

    It appears both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are included with Home
    Premium and Professional.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 27, 2009
  19. David B. Mathews

    Mark H Guest

    Bobby,
    The moment you respond to non-germane posts, you condone the action by
    continuing it.
    The best method to stop non-germane posts is to not respond.

    David,
    This is not a forum, it's a newsgroup. There are no moderators or editable
    material.
    You cannot be banned (other than by individual's blocking you.) Anything you
    write is basically lost after a few days. So, again, if you don't like
    someone's post, ignore it and it will be gone in a few days. Call people
    names and you will quickly be discredited and ignored whether your post is
    meaningful, or not.

    If you don't like criticism on net etiquette, then please, ignore my post.
    As someone else states in their signature, if you find you cannot, then feel
    free to complain and I'll show you how to ignore another's post.

    Mark H, Jun 27, 2009
  20. David B. Mathews

    Sparky Guest

    Thanks for your support. I was hoping that one of the "peers" could help (
    except for the self-appointed Group Dictator ) and they have. I'm most
    grateful.

    Re the question of whether or not 64bit is included , there seems to be SOME
    confusion , but apparently it is (and that's what I hope hoping to use ).

    Thank goodness there are still some decent people who monitor these groups.
    The others need to get over themselves and GET A REAL LIFE.

    Looking forward to coming back once I've got my Win7 upgrade successfully
    installed.

    Thanks again to those who supplied informative answers.

    Sparky

    Sparky, Jun 27, 2009