    will Windows 7 still bootable and working fine just use pre update
    information?

    Your information is great appreciated,

    iccsi, Jul 1, 2011

  2. iccsi

    Jeff Layman Guest

    On 01/07/2011 14:29, iccsi wrote:
    > I see the message that do not power off or unplug computer when
    > computer update.
    > I just wonder if power outage while Winodws update what will happen.
    > will Windows 7 still bootable and working fine just use pre update
    > information?
    >
    > Your information is great appreciated,

    I've often wondered about that too. Of course, no problem with a
    fully-charged laptop. :)

    On a related point, I've noted that it invariably seems to install 35%
    of the update before it switches itself off, with the rest installed at
    reboot. Seems strange that it's always this amount, not matter the size
    or number of update files.

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Jul 1, 2011

  3. iccsi

    Rob Guest

    On 01/07/2011 14:29, iccsi wrote:
    > I see the message that do not power off or unplug computer when
    > computer update.
    > I just wonder if power outage while Winodws update what will happen.
    > will Windows 7 still bootable and working fine just use pre update
    > information?
    >
    > Your information is great appreciated,

    If data was being written to the hard drive when there was a
    power outage, and it was a critical system file which was being
    written at the time, it *could* result in a non-booting system.

    Most of the time, Windows would probably still be able to boot
    and a hard drive repair (chkdsk /r) would fix any problems.

    This is why critical business systems are protected by uninterrupable
    power supply (UPS) devices.

    HTH,
    --
    Rob

    Rob, Jul 1, 2011
  4. iccsi

    iccsi Guest

    If Windows becomes unbootable.
    Can it be fixed using emergency disc or it will be a problem when it
    happens?
    Thanks again

    iccsi, Jul 3, 2011
  5. iccsi

    John Turco Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > > On 01/07/2011 14:29, iccsi wrote:
    > > I see the message that do not power off or unplug computer when
    > > computer update.
    > >
    > > I just wonder if power outage while Winodws update what will happen.
    > > will Windows 7 still bootable and working fine just use pre update
    > > information?
    > >
    > > Your information is great appreciated,

    > If data was being written to the hard drive when there was a
    > power outage, and it was a critical system file which was being
    > written at the time, it *could* result in a non-booting system.
    >
    > Most of the time, Windows would probably still be able to boot
    > and a hard drive repair (chkdsk /r) would fix any problems.
    >
    > This is why critical business systems are protected by uninterrupable
    > power supply (UPS) devices.

    UPSes are handy for home users, also. I've had one, since 1997; a
    Tripp Lite "Internet Office INTERNET900U" (900VA, 480 watts) is my
    current model (no pun intended), dating to September of 2009.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 9, 2011
  6. I haven't had to do it, but the corrupted Windows files presumably
    would be newer than the files on your emergency boot disk. A restore
    point is probably okay, though. Otherwise it's another reason to back
    up the Windows volume before using Windows Update.

    Robert Carnegie, Jul 9, 2011
  7. iccsi

    Paul - xxx Guest

    iccsi wrote:

    > I see the message that do not power off or unplug computer when
    > computer update.
    > I just wonder if power outage while Winodws update what will happen.
    > will Windows 7 still bootable and working fine just use pre update
    > information?
    >
    > Your information is great appreciated,

    I've just had this happen to me, W7 64 bit .. new install so updating
    like mad at the moment .. :)

    Took 3 goes to update IE 9 but all that happened was that it re-started
    the update and kept re-starting until it was successful! ;)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/35295373@N00/6088064265/

    Shows update history .. the .netframework4 has since also updated
    successfully.

    Paul - xxx, Aug 28, 2011