    Genius.

    Cheers

    FYI, movie was 'IT conquered the World, 1956'
    Martin Riddle, Nov 6, 2011

  2. Martin Riddle

    XS11E Guest

    "Martin Riddle" <> wrote:

    > Ok, this is Windows 7 Home premium, new Acer laptop.
    >
    > I was watching a movie and, bam, windows Update needs to reboot.
    >
    > Genius.

    You can always chose to reboot later.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Nov 7, 2011

  3. Martin Riddle

    BullDawg Guest

    "You can always chose to reboot later."

    This is "mostly" true, but not always, especially when watching movies and
    the player (I use GOM Player) is set to "Always be on top" and even when it
    is not so set. The "reboot popup" will not display. The only warning one
    gets is "Windows is shutting down." Then, it is too late. I have had it
    happen at times.

    --
    ________________________________

    BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    ________________________________

    BullDawg, Nov 7, 2011
  4. Martin Riddle

    XS11E Guest

    "BullDawg" <Don'> wrote:

    > "You can always chose to reboot later."
    >
    > This is "mostly" true, but not always, especially when watching
    > movies and the player (I use GOM Player) is set to "Always be on
    > top" and even when it is not so set. The "reboot popup" will not
    > display. The only warning one gets is "Windows is shutting down."
    > Then, it is too late. I have had it happen at times.

    Things you need to fix:

    1. your computer downloads and installs updates w/o your permission.
    2. your computer reboots w/o your permission.

    Mine will do neither, you need to fix yours to prevent exactly what you
    describe.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Nov 7, 2011
  5. Martin Riddle

    BullDawg Guest

    Nope, I'm perfectly happy with the way it is. I wasn't the one complaining;
    just giving examples of why it could happen with no opportunity to delay the
    reboot.

    --
    ________________________________

    BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    ________________________________

    BullDawg, Nov 7, 2011
  6. My preferred setting is "download all updates and choose to install" (or
    however it's phrased). I don't want it to decide to reboot me in the middle
    of the night when I have something open.

    OTOH, I set machines I support for automatic updating. Primarily because one
    simple can't trust that folks will actually run the update if you don't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://blogs.msmvps.com/russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Nov 7, 2011
  7. "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    > "Martin Riddle" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, this is Windows 7 Home premium, new Acer laptop.
    >>
    >> I was watching a movie and, bam, windows Update needs to reboot.
    >>
    >> Genius.

    > You can always chose to reboot later.

    That option was greyed out. Had no choice.
    I'm installing 7 Pro anyway. So I'll set updates to download and ask me to
    install.
    But still, as a Multimedia experiance, it should wait to reboot.

    Cheers
    Martin Riddle, Nov 8, 2011
  8. Martin Riddle

    XS11E Guest

    "Skant" <> wrote:

    > I seem to recall sevice pack 1 for windows 7 automatically
    > rebooted the computer which came as a surprise but I had accepted
    > the agreement to install it and it may have been written in the
    > agreement.

    I've never had updates reboot my PC w/o asking, you sure you didn't
    click on OK somewhere?

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    XS11E, Nov 30, 2011