Windows 7, Ubuntu and Adobe CS4

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Pseudo, Jan 9, 2010.

  1. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
    windows 7 on it.

    I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    unable to even run the installer.

    Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    would probably drive me nuts.

    Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
    Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
    which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
    installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
    from Microsoft, do you think?

    If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful :)

    Cheers
    Pseudo

    Pseudo, Jan 9, 2010

  2. Pseudo

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 21:16:50 +0000, Pseudo wrote:

    > I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
    > windows 7 on it.
    >
    > I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    > to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    > specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    > unable to even run the installer.

    I thought that Photoshop had been usable in Wine - at least some version. When did that change?

    Sweetpea, Jan 9, 2010

  3. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    Sweetpea wrote:

    > I thought that Photoshop had been usable in Wine - at least some version. When did that change?

    CS2 is the most recent version to get a good rating; they changed their
    installer or something, and most people don't seem to be able to get
    past it.

    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

    Pseudo, Jan 9, 2010
  4. Pseudo

    Enkidu Guest

    Pseudo wrote:
    > I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
    > windows 7 on it.
    >
    > I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    > to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    > specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    > unable to even run the installer.
    >
    > Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    > mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    > would probably drive me nuts.
    >
    > Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
    > Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
    > which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
    > installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
    > from Microsoft, do you think?
    >
    > If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful :)

    You could use Wubi as you are a Ubuntu user, rather than dual boot
    (though it does do a sort of dual boot). No changes in partitions needed
    either!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 9, 2010
  5. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > You could use Wubi as you are a Ubuntu user, rather than dual boot
    > (though it does do a sort of dual boot). No changes in partitions needed
    > either!

    I use ubuntu over windows because I don't like windows, so Wubi would
    sort of be backwards for me.

    Running windows inside linux for two programs seems more logical
    than running linux inside windows for everything except two programs :)

    Pseudo, Jan 9, 2010
  6. Pseudo

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 21:16:50 +0000 (UTC), Pseudo <>
    wrote:

    >I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
    >windows 7 on it.
    >
    >I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    >to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    >specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    >unable to even run the installer.
    >
    >Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    >mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    >would probably drive me nuts.
    >
    >Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
    >Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
    >which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
    >installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
    >from Microsoft, do you think?
    >
    >If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful :)
    >
    >Cheers
    >Pseudo

    Just Dump the Stupid Ubuntu and use the Real Supported OS, or are you
    trying to wind up Windows users..

    Win 7 is a far better OS than the crap Lunix stuff and runs far better
    software and more of it..

    Only Lunatics run Lunix..

    Mary Hanna, Jan 9, 2010
  7. In message <hiaro1$n16$-september.org>, Pseudo wrote:

    > I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    > to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    > specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    > unable to even run the installer.
    >
    > Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    > mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    > would probably drive me nuts.

    So basically adapting your workflow to accommodate Adobe’s software will
    drive you nuts.

    On the bright side, it will probably be temporary: somebody will figure out
    how to update Wine to run CS4 eventually.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2010
  8. Pseudo

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:19 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <hiaro1$n16$-september.org>, Pseudo wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    >> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    >> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    >> unable to even run the installer.
    >>
    >> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    >> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    >> would probably drive me nuts.

    >So basically adapting your workflow to accommodate Adobe’s software will
    >drive you nuts.
    >
    >On the bright side, it will probably be temporary: somebody will figure out
    >how to update Wine to run CS4 eventually.

    Why bother the Laptop comes with a Better OS than Lunix and far better
    software and support.

    Mary Hanna, Jan 10, 2010
  9. Pseudo

    Squiggle Guest

    Pseudo threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    > I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
    > windows 7 on it.
    >
    > I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    > to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    > specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    > unable to even run the installer.
    >
    > Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    > mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    > would probably drive me nuts.

    Why not? pop3 or imap can both be used in both linux and windows.

    > Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
    > Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
    > which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
    > installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
    > from Microsoft, do you think?

    Probably, for a small fee. Does it not have some way of burning a
    recovery disk? Otherwise just copy somebodies Win 7 DVD.
    Technically not legit, but I really don't think MS would give a toss so
    long as you are only using it to reinstall on the lappy.

    > If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be grateful :)

    Gimp?

    Squiggle, Jan 10, 2010
  10. On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:29:49 +1300, Squiggle <>
    wrote:

    >Pseudo threw some characters down the intarwebs:
    >> I've just got a new toy - an Acer Aspire 5542 laptop that came with
    >> windows 7 on it.
    >>
    >> I'm a linux user (Ubuntu Karmic), but I have the opportunity to be able
    >> to get adobe CS4 so I can work from home (photoshop and indesign
    >> specifically). Wine lists these apps as garbage, with most people
    >> unable to even run the installer.
    >>
    >> Should I install Ubuntu alongside and dual-boot for CS4? That would
    >> mean I couldn't access email etc while I'm on the windows side, which
    >> would probably drive me nuts.
    >>

    >Why not? pop3 or imap can both be used in both linux and windows.
    >
    >> Should I wipe the entire hard drive, install Ubuntu and then run Win7 in
    >> Virtualbox? CS4 would be the only set of apps that I'd use, and besides
    >> which, the laptop came with the software pre-installed, so I have no
    >> installation disk even though I have a valid licence. Could I get one
    >> from Microsoft, do you think?

    Just resize the Windows partition and install Ubuntu alongside it.
    There is no need to wipe the Windows partition to run that partition
    under VirtualBox. You can just get VirtualBox to run the partition
    directly. Windows may or may not cooperate though - it will want to
    install drivers for the virtual hardware instead of the real hardware
    it is currently set up for.

    >Probably, for a small fee. Does it not have some way of burning a
    >recovery disk? Otherwise just copy somebodies Win 7 DVD.
    >Technically not legit, but I really don't think MS would give a toss so
    >long as you are only using it to reinstall on the lappy.

    Laptops frequently have hardware drivers that you really need to make
    Windows go properly, as laptops have manufacturer specific devices.
    The installed version will have those drivers, but they would not be
    on a standard install DVD. You may be able to get them from the Acer
    web site.

    Does the drive have a separate partition on it that is currently not
    assigned a drive letter? That is where my laptop has its re-install
    setup - you just tell the BIOS to boot from that partition to
    re-install.

    Stephen Worthington, Jan 10, 2010
  11. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Exactly which apps are you running on linux that you can't run on Windows?

    None, I choose to use linux because I prefer it for a bunch of reasons.
    It would just be really handy if I had the same software I use at work.
    Fusspot, huh? :)

    Pseudo, Jan 11, 2010
  12. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    Stephen Worthington wrote:

    > Just resize the Windows partition and install Ubuntu alongside it.
    > There is no need to wipe the Windows partition to run that partition
    > under VirtualBox. You can just get VirtualBox to run the partition
    > directly.

    Thanks for the tip! I had a poke around a few forums and user guides
    today and everything started off with warnings about being an expert
    user before you try, lol.

    At this point, I'll be trying a couple of workarounds I found to see if
    I can get WINE to run after all. And hope a little bit harder than
    someone with more skills than I can get it working fairly soon.

    Pseudo, Jan 11, 2010
  13. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > So basically adapting your workflow to accommodate Adobe¢s software will
    > drive you nuts.

    Actually, it's the not chatting and checking my email continuously while
    I'm working that will drive me nuts ;) If I dual-boot, I'm not that
    keen on letting the windows side of things access the net much (if I do
    that, I might as well return to being a full-time windows user)

    > On the bright side, it will probably be temporary: somebody will figure out
    > how to update Wine to run CS4 eventually.

    Fingers crossed!

    Pseudo, Jan 11, 2010
  14. In message <hiei6b$lsa$-september.org>, Pseudo wrote:

    > I'm not that keen on letting the windows side of things access the net
    > much ...

    Prudent. Drop the “much†and I’d upgrade you to “wiseâ€. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2010
  15. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> I'm not that keen on letting the windows side of things access the net
    >> much ...

    > Prudent. Drop the ´much¡ and Iÿd upgrade you to ´wise¡. :)

    lol, I'm being polite :)

    Pseudo, Jan 11, 2010
  16. Pseudo

    Enkidu Guest

    Pseudo wrote:
    > Stephen Worthington wrote:
    >
    >> Just resize the Windows partition and install Ubuntu alongside it.
    >> There is no need to wipe the Windows partition to run that partition
    >> under VirtualBox. You can just get VirtualBox to run the partition
    >> directly.

    > Thanks for the tip! I had a poke around a few forums and user guides
    > today and everything started off with warnings about being an expert
    > user before you try, lol.
    >
    > At this point, I'll be trying a couple of workarounds I found to see if
    > I can get WINE to run after all. And hope a little bit harder than
    > someone with more skills than I can get it working fairly soon.

    If you have plenty of CPU and memory to spare then virtual is a lot
    easier than Wine.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 11, 2010
  17. Pseudo

    Richard Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > If you have plenty of CPU and memory to spare then virtual is a lot
    > easier than Wine.

    When running adobe products, even plenty of CPU and ram is not enough to
    make them go fast. Probably need at least 2 gigs for the VM to work
    properly and actually be usable, so thats half the ram on most lappies
    just to run one suite of apps.

    Richard, Jan 11, 2010
  18. Pseudo

    Pseudo Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > When running adobe products, even plenty of CPU and ram is not enough to
    > make them go fast. Probably need at least 2 gigs for the VM to work
    > properly and actually be usable, so thats half the ram on most lappies
    > just to run one suite of apps.

    Yeah, that's half of what I've got. But it seems that my legal way of
    getting an installation CD is falling thru, so for now I'll have a go
    with Wine, and if it doesn't work, I just won't be able to work outside
    of the office (oh, what a shame!)

    Pseudo, Jan 12, 2010
  19. In message <hih1av$i4h$-september.org>, Pseudo wrote:

    > But it seems that my legal way of
    > getting an installation CD is falling thru, so for now I'll have a go
    > with Wine, and if it doesn't work, I just won't be able to work outside
    > of the office (oh, what a shame!)

    But if you can’t get a legal installation CD, then what were you going to
    install?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2010
  20. Pseudo

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:29:02 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > If you have plenty of CPU and memory to spare then virtual is a lot
    > easier than Wine.

    But you'll also need a full license for MacOS or Windows (depending on what version of Photoshop you
    have. :(

    Sweetpea, Jan 12, 2010