Windows 7 tray manager program list

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by George Neuner, Sep 1, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
    icon/notification customization list?

    The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
    have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
    them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
    notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
    coordinated with the installed program list.

    George
    George Neuner, Sep 1, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. George Neuner

    Carlos Guest

    George,
    There is an easy solution for XP right here:
    http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/Remove_Icons_from_your_System_Tray.html
    I am at work now so I can't test it at home in Win 7.
    :(
    Does it work for you?
    Carlos

    "George Neuner" wrote:

    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
    > icon/notification customization list?
    >
    > The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
    > have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
    > them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
    > notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
    > coordinated with the installed program list.
    >
    > George
    > .
    >
    Carlos, Sep 1, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:30:03 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:
    >
    >"George Neuner" wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
    >> icon/notification customization list?
    >>
    >> The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
    >> have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
    >> them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
    >> notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
    >> coordinated with the installed program list.
    >>
    >> .

    >George,
    >There is an easy solution for XP right here:
    >http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/Remove_Icons_from_your_System_Tray.html
    >I am at work now so I can't test it at home in Win 7.
    :mad:
    >Does it work for you?
    >Carlos


    That just shows/hides the icons and/or notifications. I want to edit
    that list to remove options for applications that no longer exist and
    so can't possibly show anything.

    It appears that in Windows 7, applications do *not* get removed from
    the tray icon control list if/when they are uninstalled.

    I recently have been trying out a number of applications that
    installed tray icons, and now the stupid list has options in it for
    programs that have been removed.

    George
    George Neuner, Sep 2, 2010
    #3
  4. George Neuner

    GTS-NJ Guest

    If you click the show hidden icons ^ button is is the icon displayed there?
    If so, what happens if you try to drag it to the tray?
    --

    "George Neuner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know how to remove a program from the tray manager's
    > icon/notification customization list?
    >
    > The list shows applications that have been completely uninstalled - I
    > have verified that the program directories and registry entries for
    > them are gone - so there is no possibility that an icon or
    > notification will appear, but the tray manager doesn't seem to be
    > coordinated with the installed program list.
    >
    > George
    GTS-NJ, Sep 2, 2010
    #4
  5. On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:28:12 -0400, "GTS-NJ" <> wrote:

    >If you click the show hidden icons ^ button is is the icon displayed there?
    >If so, what happens if you try to drag it to the tray?


    There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.

    The problem is that the program names and the options for their
    non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.

    George
    George Neuner, Sep 2, 2010
    #5
  6. George Neuner

    KCB Guest

    "George Neuner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:28:12 -0400, "GTS-NJ" <> wrote:
    >
    >>If you click the show hidden icons ^ button is is the icon displayed
    >>there?
    >>If so, what happens if you try to drag it to the tray?

    >
    > There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.
    >
    > The problem is that the program names and the options for their
    > non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.
    >
    > George


    This is from Don Patterson MVP, on MS Forums from November '09, to a poster
    with exact problem you describe:

    "If you're comfortable editing the registry:

    Run Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
    Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

    Delete the following keys from the right pane: "PasteIconsSteam " and
    "IconStreams " keys.

    Close the registry editor

    Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and kill the explorer.exe process.

    Reboot"

    There is a typo included in the original message. "PasteIconsSteam" should
    be "PastIconsStream"

    Do not attempt this if you are unsure of editing your registry.
    KCB, Sep 4, 2010
    #6
  7. On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:52:55 -0400, "KCB" <> wrote:

    >
    >"George Neuner" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >>
    >> There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.
    >>
    >> The problem is that the program names and the options for their
    >> non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.
    >>
    >> George

    >
    >This is from Don Patterson MVP, on MS Forums from November '09, to a poster
    >with exact problem you describe:
    >
    >"If you're comfortable editing the registry:
    >
    >Run Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
    >Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
    >
    >Delete the following keys from the right pane: "PastIconsSteam " and
    >"IconStreams " keys.
    >
    >Close the registry editor
    >
    >Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and kill the explorer.exe process.
    >
    >Reboot"


    It worked! Thank you very much! I had to reset options for the
    remaining non-system icons - they all defaulted to "only show
    notifications", but now the list has only programs that really exist.

    Still think Win7 should do this automagically when apps are removed.

    George
    George Neuner, Sep 4, 2010
    #7
  8. George Neuner

    KCB Guest

    "George Neuner" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 20:52:55 -0400, "KCB" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>"George Neuner" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>>
    >>> There aren't any icons - the programs have been *uninstalled*.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that the program names and the options for their
    >>> non-existant icons are still in the tray customization list.
    >>>
    >>> George

    >>
    >>This is from Don Patterson MVP, on MS Forums from November '09, to a
    >>poster
    >>with exact problem you describe:
    >>
    >>"If you're comfortable editing the registry:
    >>
    >>Run Regedit and navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local
    >>Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify
    >>
    >>Delete the following keys from the right pane: "PastIconsSteam " and
    >>"IconStreams " keys.
    >>
    >>Close the registry editor
    >>
    >>Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and kill the explorer.exe process.
    >>
    >>Reboot"

    >
    > It worked! Thank you very much! I had to reset options for the
    > remaining non-system icons - they all defaulted to "only show
    > notifications", but now the list has only programs that really exist.
    >
    > Still think Win7 should do this automagically when apps are removed.
    >
    > George


    I looked after I read your post, and couldn't find any leftover icons on my
    machine, so it must only affect certain Win7 installations. I have the box
    checked to show all icons and notifications, but I know some people would
    have a very cluttered tray if they did that.
    KCB, Sep 4, 2010
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. hummingbird
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,177
    hummingbird
    Jun 12, 2004
  2. Ed
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    495
  3. Edward

    Multiple instances of Task Manager in the tray

    Edward, May 18, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,498
    Edward
    May 18, 2005
  4. golfer1029

    Losing quick launch tray and system tray

    golfer1029, Jul 26, 2006, in forum: Software
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,136
    bigal
    Jul 27, 2006
  5. Jer
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,089
Loading...

Share This Page