    aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?
    If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    It's not my machine.

    Matty F, May 21, 2010

  2. Matty F

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-05-21, Matty F <> wrote:
    > OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?

    Because it its not any of the previous versions. Things must change with
    each new version.

    Gordon, May 21, 2010

  3. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    > When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    > aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?
    > If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    > It's not my machine.

    Becuase the old taskbar was pretty crap at handling a lot of windows,
    and the click to launch with apps staying in the same place always was
    prettymuch the only good thing about the mac UI so they copied it
    (thankfully without the stupid default of things moving around as you
    mouse towards them)

    I dont like that it will group seperate processes of the same
    application, so just turned grouping off and turned on the name and it
    works like a better version of the old taskbar.

    Richard, May 21, 2010
  4. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2010 01:46:33 -0700 (PDT), in message <>
    Matty F <> wrote:

    > OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    > When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    > aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?

    Huh? I see entries in the taskbar. Win 7 pro 64bit.

    Question: if you have 3 MS-Word windows open and you minimize them all,
    are you seeing just one MS-Word entry in the taskbar, or are you seeing
    no MS-Word entries at all in the taskbar ?

    --
    Regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, May 21, 2010
  5. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 22, 12:46 am, Collector_NZ <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    > > When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    > > aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?
    > > If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    > > It's not my machine.

    > Win 7 has adopted a single item approach for multiple instance of an
    > application. Point your maose at the system bar icon for the app and it
    > will show you thumb nail previews of each instance that is running.
    >
    > I love it! It is an improvement [imho], I often have 10 or so word doc
    > in progress and when I mouse the word system bar icon I get thumb nails
    > of each and from those choose which I want.

    This is a new installation of Windows 7 straight from the shop.
    If I open two different applications there are no entries on the
    taskbar for them.
    If I minimise the applications there is no way to get them maximised
    again. There is no way I can tell that they are still running, except
    that when I pressed tab I got a list of the applications. Another
    time, tab did nothing.
    I have searched the help for "minimise" and "restore" but found
    nothing useful. Perhaps I should have searched for "minimize", but I
    know how to do that. I don't know how to restore a task so I can use
    it.
    Any Windows 7 experts out there?

    Matty F, May 21, 2010
  6. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 21, 11:58 pm, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 May 2010 01:46:33 -0700 (PDT), in message <>
    >
    > Matty F <> wrote:
    > > OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    > > When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    > > aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?

    > Huh? I see entries in the taskbar. Win 7 pro 64bit.
    >
    > Question: if you have 3 MS-Word windows open and you minimize them all,
    > are you seeing just one MS-Word entry in the taskbar, or are you seeing
    > no MS-Word entries at all in the taskbar ?
    >
    > > If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    > > It's not my machine.

    It's not my machine. I have to drive some distance to try things out
    on the machine.

    I did see, once, an entry for Word on the taskbar.
    Perhaps there are new magic ways to switch tasks by multiple key
    strokes. I don't want that - I want to switch tasks with ONE keystroke
    like I've been doing in all versions of Windows so far.
    I may have a dozen windows or tasks open and I wish to click on an
    entry on the taskbar to restore the window.
    I may have two pictures which I want to alternate quickly between,
    many times, so I can see the differences between the pictures.
    I may wish to have two different spreadsheets open side by side so I
    can look at both at the same time and copy data between them. I could
    do that easily in Win98SE, but it seems to be harder with XP. God
    knows what Windows 7 will do.
    Microsoft seem to have decided how users will use the system, and it's
    not the way I have been using Windows for 25 years.

    Matty F, May 21, 2010
  7. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 22/05/10 09:41, Matty F wrote:
    > On May 22, 12:46 am, Collector_NZ<> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>> OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    >>> When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    >>> aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?
    >>> If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    >>> It's not my machine.

    >> Win 7 has adopted a single item approach for multiple instance of an
    >> application. Point your maose at the system bar icon for the app and it
    >> will show you thumb nail previews of each instance that is running.
    >>
    >> I love it! It is an improvement [imho], I often have 10 or so word doc
    >> in progress and when I mouse the word system bar icon I get thumb nails
    >> of each and from those choose which I want.

    > This is a new installation of Windows 7 straight from the shop.
    > If I open two different applications there are no entries on the
    > taskbar for them.
    > If I minimise the applications there is no way to get them maximised
    > again. There is no way I can tell that they are still running, except
    > that when I pressed tab I got a list of the applications. Another
    > time, tab did nothing.
    > I have searched the help for "minimise" and "restore" but found
    > nothing useful. Perhaps I should have searched for "minimize", but I
    > know how to do that. I don't know how to restore a task so I can use
    > it.
    > Any Windows 7 experts out there?

    Just roll your mouse over the application icons in the task bar as the
    last poster said and thumbnails of the minimized pages appear on mine.
    Click on the thumbnail and it maximizes again.
    Never had a problem figuring it out.

    victor, May 21, 2010
  8. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 22/05/10 09:41, Matty F wrote:
    > On May 22, 12:46 am, Collector_NZ<> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >>> OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    >>> When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    >>> aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?
    >>> If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    >>> It's not my machine.

    >> Win 7 has adopted a single item approach for multiple instance of an
    >> application. Point your maose at the system bar icon for the app and it
    >> will show you thumb nail previews of each instance that is running.
    >>
    >> I love it! It is an improvement [imho], I often have 10 or so word doc
    >> in progress and when I mouse the word system bar icon I get thumb nails
    >> of each and from those choose which I want.

    > This is a new installation of Windows 7 straight from the shop.
    > If I open two different applications there are no entries on the
    > taskbar for them.
    > If I minimise the applications there is no way to get them maximised
    > again. There is no way I can tell that they are still running, except
    > that when I pressed tab I got a list of the applications. Another
    > time, tab did nothing.
    > I have searched the help for "minimise" and "restore" but found
    > nothing useful. Perhaps I should have searched for "minimize", but I
    > know how to do that. I don't know how to restore a task so I can use
    > it.
    > Any Windows 7 experts out there?

    Try Alt Tab, it still works the same for me.

    victor, May 21, 2010
  9. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 22, 10:51 am, victor <> wrote:

    > Just roll your mouse over the application icons in the task bar as the
    > last poster said and thumbnails of the minimized pages appear on mine.
    > Click on the thumbnail and it maximizes again.
    > Never had a problem figuring it out.

    What application icons in the task bar? There was one for Word, but
    nothing for any other applications I tried.
    There's just an enormous wide empty task bar with a few system things
    at each end.
    With all that space available, how come the Unload device button is
    hidden and requires a click to see it?

    Matty F, May 22, 2010
  10. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 22, 10:59 am, victor <> wrote:

    > Try Alt Tab, it still works the same for me.

    If I have 10 applications running, how do I get to say the fifth one
    with a single click? And I mean a click, not two buttons that have to
    be used at once.
    Task switching used to be OK with Win98SE andXP. Why did MS make it
    difficult?

    Matty F, May 22, 2010
  11. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <e0039e3f-57a6-4a89-acb4-1e301d51a640@
    11g2000prv.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > On May 22, 10:59 am, victor <> wrote:
    >
    > > Try Alt Tab, it still works the same for me.

    > If I have 10 applications running, how do I get to say the fifth one
    > with a single click? And I mean a click, not two buttons that have to
    > be used at once.
    > Task switching used to be OK with Win98SE andXP. Why did MS make it
    > difficult?

    Have a looksee at this link to see if it might help you go back (wards)
    to more the XP way...

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-how-buttons-appear-
    on-the-taskbar

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, May 22, 2010
  12. Matty F

    eyes Guest

    On 22/05/10 12:18, Matty F wrote:
    > On May 22, 10:51 am, victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> Just roll your mouse over the application icons in the task bar as the
    >> last poster said and thumbnails of the minimized pages appear on mine.
    >> Click on the thumbnail and it maximizes again.
    >> Never had a problem figuring it out.

    > What application icons in the task bar? There was one for Word, but
    > nothing for any other applications I tried.
    > There's just an enormous wide empty task bar with a few system things
    > at each end.
    > With all that space available, how come the Unload device button is
    > hidden and requires a click to see it?

    I think a lot of the benefits of the new taskbar only show when you have
    Aero turned on. On the VMs I use, Aero is off, and I get the same
    frustration as you. Running apps just show as an icon, and if you have
    many of the same app running you have to hover over the icon and then
    you get a listing with text. You get no thumbnail preview with Aero
    turned off.

    It can get a bit frustrating as many of the application icons have
    changed, so if you are used to the old icons, you will have no idea what
    is running.

    I ended up turning off grouping. This makes text show to the right of
    the icon in the task bar and that works better for me. Just looking at
    the task bar and reading text to see what is running is much quicker
    than having to move the mouse and wait for a thumbnail or some other
    hover feature.

    eyes, May 22, 2010
  13. To show the Unload device button (or anything else)
    Click on the "Show hidden icons" button (up arrow)
    Click Customise.
    Select "Show icon & notifications" for the apps you want to see.
    Win 7 is great once you've unlearnt a few things.
    Cheers

    aaaaaaaaardvaaaaaark, May 22, 2010
  14. Matty F

    victor Guest

    On 22/05/10 12:18, Matty F wrote:
    > On May 22, 10:51 am, victor<> wrote:
    >
    >> Just roll your mouse over the application icons in the task bar as the
    >> last poster said and thumbnails of the minimized pages appear on mine.
    >> Click on the thumbnail and it maximizes again.
    >> Never had a problem figuring it out.

    > What application icons in the task bar? There was one for Word, but
    > nothing for any other applications I tried.
    > There's just an enormous wide empty task bar with a few system things
    > at each end.
    > With all that space available, how come the Unload device button is
    > hidden and requires a click to see it?

    That sounds like different behaviour to my install and the others I have
    seen. Perhaps it is broken.
    Opening an application results in a button in the task bar which I can
    mouse over to click the window I want active.
    I can also drag apps I use a lot into the task bar
    Alt tab tab tab etc cycles through the current active app thumbnails
    just like in XP.

    victor, May 22, 2010
  15. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 22, 1:17 pm, Bret <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 May 2010 17:18:32 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
    > > On May 22, 10:51 am, victor <> wrote:

    > >> Just roll your mouse over the application icons in the task bar as the
    > >> last poster said and thumbnails of the minimized pages appear on mine.
    > >> Click on the thumbnail and it maximizes again.
    > >> Never had a problem figuring it out.

    > > What application icons in the task bar? There was one for Word, but
    > > nothing for any other applications I tried.
    > > There's just an enormous wide empty task bar with a few system things
    > > at each end.

    > Sounds broken, there should be one taskbar icon for each program running,
    > it's a bit like "group similar icons" ie open explorer and the taskbar icon
    > appears open another and still only one taskbar icon but mouseover will
    > reveal two windows above the taskbar.

    It's a brand new machine from probably the largest computer shop in
    Auckland, and they installed Windows 7.
    I've been trying to convince the owner to use Linux, and at last we
    decided to use Windows 7. Now we can't even switch tasks.

    Matty F, May 22, 2010
  16. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <6e8ec327-58a8-4168-a5b4-
    >,
    says...

    > On May 22, 1:17 pm, Bret <> wrote:

    > > > What application icons in the task bar? There was one for Word, but
    > > > nothing for any other applications I tried.
    > > > There's just an enormous wide empty task bar with a few system things
    > > > at each end.

    > > Sounds broken, there should be one taskbar icon for each program running,
    > > it's a bit like "group similar icons" ie open explorer and the taskbar icon
    > > appears open another and still only one taskbar icon but mouseover will
    > > reveal two windows above the taskbar.

    > It's a brand new machine from probably the largest computer shop in
    > Auckland, and they installed Windows 7.
    > I've been trying to convince the owner to use Linux, and at last we
    > decided to use Windows 7. Now we can't even switch tasks.

    You're recomending KDE or Gnome - fuk! - that's even worse!

    Something seems borked from day dot w' the win7 install. Reinstall it if
    it's new. I like the new Win7 taskbar features, you can customise them
    to be close to the XP "experience". XP's old n' chit really eh? As said
    and suggested by others, yer install sounds fuked. Faster than
    installing and completing than Ubuntu (say) too.

    An alternative? - you could ask someone you know w' Win7, to remotely
    help you. (Start, All Programs, Maintenance, Windows Remote Assistance).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, May 22, 2010
  17. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 22, 1:20 pm, Bret <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 May 2010 17:21:00 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
    > > On May 22, 10:59 am, victor <> wrote:

    > >> Try Alt Tab, it still works the same for me.

    > > If I have 10 applications running, how do I get to say the fifth one
    > > with a single click? And I mean a click, not two buttons that have to
    > > be used at once.
    > > Task switching used to be OK with Win98SE andXP. Why did MS make it
    > > difficult?

    > Mouseover the "master taskbar icon" and click on the one you want from the
    > popup windows, holding the mouse over the popup window will switch focus to
    > the full window.

    The owner has moused over the entire taskbar with no luck.
    What does the "master taskbar icon" look like? A picture would be
    nice. If MS had any sense, the icon will be easy to describe.
    I have Googled "master taskbar icon" with no luck.

    Matty F, May 22, 2010
  18. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:35:19 -0700 (PDT), in message <>
    Matty F <> wrote:

    > On May 21, 11:58 pm, Ralph Fox <> wrote:
    > > On Fri, 21 May 2010 01:46:33 -0700 (PDT), in message <>
    > >
    > > Matty F <> wrote:
    > > > OK so why has MS changed everything around so I can't find anything?
    > > > When I have a number of windows open and then minimise them, why
    > > > aren't there entries for those windows on the taskbar at the bottom?

    > > Huh? I see entries in the taskbar. Win 7 pro 64bit.
    > >
    > > Question: if you have 3 MS-Word windows open and you minimize them all,
    > > are you seeing just one MS-Word entry in the taskbar, or are you seeing
    > > no MS-Word entries at all in the taskbar ?
    > >
    > > > If I press tab I can sometimes see all the tasks.
    > > > It's not my machine.

    > It's not my machine. I have to drive some distance to try things out
    > on the machine.
    > I did see, once, an entry for Word on the taskbar.

    It doesn't have to be MS-Word. It can be whatever application you had
    open at the time of your last visit.

    I was hoping you might remember a little more detail from your earlier
    visit which had prompted you to ask us, "When I have a number of windows
    open and then minimise them, why aren't there entries for those windows
    on the taskbar at the bottom?"

    > Perhaps there are new magic ways to switch tasks by multiple key
    > strokes. I don't want that - I want to switch tasks with ONE keystroke
    > like I've been doing in all versions of Windows so far.

    A. XP, Vista and Win7 all have an option to group/combine taskbar buttons
    for the same application. It might be that you were used to having this
    set to not group/combine, and the Win7 box has this set the other way.

    B. In addition, Win7 has the option to hide the text label and show
    only the icon in the taskbar entry. This makes the taskbar entry
    shorter. Perhaps you are missing seeing the text labels.

    Win7 also combines the "quicklaunch" and taskbar. A running task
    will have a rectangular button around the icon, while a non-running
    "quicklaunch" icon will have only the icon.

    > I may have a dozen windows or tasks open and I wish to click on an
    > entry on the taskbar to restore the window.

    Right-click on an empty area in the taskbar and choose "Properties".
    Adjust the following setting
    • XP: [x] Group similar taskbar buttons
    • Win7: Taskbar buttons: [ Always combine, hide labels |v]
    to this
    • XP: [ ] Group similar taskbar buttons
    • Win7: Taskbar buttons: [ Never combine |v]

    > I may have two pictures which I want to alternate quickly between,
    > many times, so I can see the differences between the pictures.
    > I may wish to have two different spreadsheets open side by side so I
    > can look at both at the same time and copy data between them. I could
    > do that easily in Win98SE, but it seems to be harder with XP. God
    > knows what Windows 7 will do.

    See setting adjustment above.

    > Microsoft seem to have decided how users will use the system, and it's
    > not the way I have been using Windows for 25 years.

    Gur ZF Jvaqbjf gnfxone vf bayl 15 lrnef byq (vagebqhprq va Jvaqbjf 95).
    ZF Jvaqbjf 1.0 znl or 25 lrnef byq, ohg ${QRVGL} sbeovq gung jr fubhyq
    or fghpx jvgu gur ZF Jvaqbjf 1.0 vagresnpr sbe nyy gvzr.

    --
    Regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, May 22, 2010
  19. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On May 23, 9:26 pm, "geoff" <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    > > It's a brand new machine from probably the largest computer shop in
    > > Auckland, and they installed Windows 7.
    > > I've been trying to convince the owner to use Linux, and at last we
    > > decided to use Windows 7. Now we can't even switch tasks.

    > I doubt the shop installed it. Try Help.

    I don't know what you are referring to as"it". The shop certainly
    installed Windows 7.
    And of course we looked at the Help, which as usual was no help at
    all.
    The owner seached Google for the problem and found a website which
    suggested a course of action which he followed and which fixed the
    problem. Now he has an icon on the taskbar for each application which
    he is running. He did not have that before.
    He could not remember what he did to fix the problem.
    I have checked his recently accessed web pages and there were dozens
    of those. None were relevant.
    His Google search was recorded. I have redone the search but none of
    the Google results are logged in the history as being accessed, even
    though he clearly did access one.
    So what a pity, I am unable to post what the problem was and how it
    was fixed.
    Except that a new Windows installation was supplied to a customer
    without the means of switching from one task to another - which is one
    of the most basic functions of an operating system.
    I shall contact the shop and see if they can show light on the matter.

    Matty F, May 24, 2010
  20. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:

    > Except that a new Windows installation was supplied to a customer
    > without the means of switching from one task to another - which is one
    > of the most basic functions of an operating system.
    > I shall contact the shop and see if they can show light on the matter.

    Works for me, not perfect since it still has the braindead grouping
    criteria that XP had in it.

    Even with aero off and no pop up pictures it still works fine. Cant
    windows-tab without aero which I do quite like tho.

    Richard, May 24, 2010