Windows 7 search doesn't work

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon Mitchell, Nov 26, 2009.

  1. Jon Mitchell

    Jon Mitchell Guest

    Hi,

    Windows Search doesn't work on my Windows 7 Professional x64. It will find
    files on the Start menu fine, but when I try to get it to find anything in
    the folders I have configured it to search, nothing. I have to search the
    computer to find them. This shouldn't be thought. The folders I have set for
    the computer to search are also included in my libraries - at least, most
    of them are. So, when I search a file I know to be in one of my libraries,
    it should be included in the libraries search - but it isn't.

    Only 3,655 files are indexed altogether. I actually have at least 10,000
    that should be indexed, taking into account all of my Music, Video and mage
    files.

    I have altered my index file path to another drive. And I have rebuild my
    index about 10 times, but nothing happens. I have disabled and then
    re-enable Windows Index via the 'Turn Windows Features on or off' within the
    Control Panel, but nothing has worked.

    Any idea how I can actually get my Index to perform as it should?

    Thanks.

    --
    BadHead :)
    ---

    OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
    Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional SP3

    Motherboard: Asus Crosshair (BIOS Revision: 1103)
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core 9850 Black Edition
    RAM: 8Gb
    GPU: Asus ENGTX280 nVidia 280
    HDD: 2.50TB (Over 5 SATAII Western Digital HDD's)
    ===

    Jon Mitchell, Nov 26, 2009

  2. Jon Mitchell

    mikeyhsd Guest

    use Index options in Control Panel and Modify tab near the bottom to select different search locations.

    mikeyhsd, Nov 27, 2009

  3. Jon Mitchell

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jon.

    All I can do is empathize. I can't help much. :>(

    The MS team that writes the Search and Indexing apps just don't think like I
    do, it seems. My Indexing Options show that I have over 3.5 MILLION items
    indexed - and I still can't find most of the things I search for. :>(

    The Search box works fine to start programs, but as for finding messages
    about people or places that I KNOW are in my files, it is useless. It does
    not work at all for .pub (Microsoft Publisher) files, and poorly for .eml
    and .nws files - and those are the files that I most need and want to
    search!

    As for the Index, after some tribulations, I did get it stored on a separate
    volume (Index (I:)) that I created for that purpose. That 40 GB volume now
    has 30 GB in the Search folder - and it still can't find things I'm looking
    for!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA