Windows 7 root directory files

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matty F, Aug 13, 2010.

  1. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    I think I've found the answer but this is an odd problem that may
    interest someone.

    1. Youtubedownloader was working fine and putting its files in the
    videos folder where it was told to.

    2. Recently Youtube have changed the format of their URLs yet again so
    that Youtubedownloader no longer worked.

    3. We installed an updated version of Youtubedownloader in which the
    default folder was the root directory but we didn't know that and
    forgot to check. I sort of assumed that the upgrade would have
    remembered the desired folder for videos. But it didn't.

    4. A video was downloaded and Youtubedownloader didn't say where it
    was going to put it, so it almost certainly went into the root
    directory.

    5. Windows Explorer didn't show any files in the root directory.
    A Find did not find the downloaded file. The options to display Hidden
    Files and System Files are ticked.

    6. The solution appears to be that Windows 7 simply will not let you
    see what files are in the root directory even if you are an
    Administrator. This is deemed to be a feature not a bug.
    ..
    7. There will be a way around this but I hate the way Windows won't
    show you things that you know are there.

    8. Why does the Find option only have the option to see files changed:
    Yesterday, Last Week, Last Month, Last Year, A Long Tme Ago - but not
    Today? It seems that Today is also Yesterday.
    Matty F, Aug 13, 2010

  2. Matty F

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 05:13:05 -0700 (PDT), in message <>
    Matty F wrote:

    > I think I've found the answer but this is an odd problem that may
    > interest someone.
    >
    > 1. Youtubedownloader was working fine and putting its files in the
    > videos folder where it was told to.
    >
    > 2. Recently Youtube have changed the format of their URLs yet again so
    > that Youtubedownloader no longer worked.
    >
    > 3. We installed an updated version of Youtubedownloader in which the
    > default folder was the root directory but we didn't know that and
    > forgot to check. I sort of assumed that the upgrade would have
    > remembered the desired folder for videos. But it didn't.
    >
    > 4. A video was downloaded and Youtubedownloader didn't say where it
    > was going to put it, so it almost certainly went into the root
    > directory.
    >
    > 5. Windows Explorer didn't show any files in the root directory.
    > A Find did not find the downloaded file. The options to display Hidden
    > Files and System Files are ticked.
    >
    > 6. The solution appears to be that Windows 7 simply will not let you
    > see what files are in the root directory even if you are an
    > Administrator. This is deemed to be a feature not a bug.

    6(B) Go look in the directory

    C:\Users\[[*USER-NAME*]]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\

    It is more likely that Windows 7 caused the file to go
    into the 'virtualstore' instead of the root directory.

    > 7. There will be a way around this but I hate the way Windows won't
    > show you things that you know are there.

    7(B) If you think Windows is hiding files in the C:\ root
    directory, try opening a Command Prompt window and
    listing the root directory contents with the command

    DIR /A C:\

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Aug 13, 2010

  3. Re: Dimdows 7 root directory files

    In message
    <>, Matty F
    wrote:

    > 7. There will be a way around this but I hate the way Windows won't
    > show you things that you know are there.

    You know what you can do about that.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 14, 2010
  4. Matty F

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    >I think I've found the answer but this is an odd problem that may
    > interest someone.
    >
    > 1. Youtubedownloader was working fine and putting its files in the
    > videos folder where it was told to.
    >
    > 2. Recently Youtube have changed the format of their URLs yet again so
    > that Youtubedownloader no longer worked.

    Alternatively, try changing the "Y" in the Youtube video url to "3". Should take
    you to Youtube's own download page.
    J.Wilson, Aug 14, 2010
  5. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 14, 4:21 pm, "J.Wilson" <a@!b.c.ru> wrote:
    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    > > 2. Recently Youtube have changed the format of their URLs yet again so
    > > that Youtubedownloader no longer worked.

    > Alternatively, try changing the "Y" in the Youtube video url to "3". Should take
    > you to Youtube's own download page.

    I don't think it's Youtube's download page. But it looks useful.
    Thanks for that.
    Matty F, Aug 14, 2010
  6. Matty F

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-08-13, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I think I've found the answer but this is an odd problem that may
    > interest someone.

    [snip]

    > 6. The solution appears to be that Windows 7 simply will not let you
    > see what files are in the root directory even if you are an
    > Administrator. This is deemed to be a feature not a bug.
    > .
    > 7. There will be a way around this but I hate the way Windows won't
    > show you things that you know are there.

    hidden directories or stealth? Ms Penguin hides things if the user wishes,
    but they can be shown.

    But yes, Ms Windows gets all It is for your good attitude over these things.

    > 8. Why does the Find option only have the option to see files changed:
    > Yesterday, Last Week, Last Month, Last Year, A Long Tme Ago - but not
    > Today? It seems that Today is also Yesterday.

    Quantum physics rules okay!

    BTW what is the root directory on Windows 7
    Gordon, Aug 15, 2010
  7. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 15, 1:15 am, "impossible" <> wrote:
    > "Matty F" <> wrote in message

    > > I think I've found the answer but this is an odd problem that may
    > > interest someone.

    > > 1. Youtubedownloader was working fine and putting its files in the
    > > videos folder where it was told to.

    > > 2. Recently Youtube have changed the format of their URLs yet again so
    > > that Youtubedownloader no longer worked.

    > > 3. We installed an updated version of Youtubedownloader in which the
    > > default folder was the root directory but we didn't know that and
    > > forgot to check. I sort of assumed that the upgrade would have
    > > remembered the desired folder for videos. But it didn't.

    > > 4. A video was downloaded and Youtubedownloader didn't say where it
    > > was going to put it,

    > YouTube Downloader certaionly does say where it's going to store downloaded
    > files -- it's right there in front of you on the main screen where is
    > says...ok, this part might have fooled you because it's pretty
    > cryptic..."Your default dowload location is....."
    >
    > > .... so it almost certainly went into the root directory.

    > Why would you think that!?! The default folder in Windows 7 for all
    > downloads is:
    >
    > C:\Users\[User Name]\Downloads\
    >
    > That just also happens to be the location that YouTube Downloader uses --
    > unless of course you change it yourself.

    No that was not the location.

    > > 5. Windows Explorer didn't show any files in the root directory.
    > > A Find did not find the downloaded file. The options to display Hidden
    > > Files and System Files are ticked.

    > > 6. The solution appears to be that Windows 7 simply will not let you
    > > see what files are in the root directory even if you are an
    > > Administrator. This is deemed to be a feature not a bug.
    > > .

    > That's not true. I can see all files in all folders on my Windows 7 system,
    > including files in the root directory. But unless you've deliberately moved
    > a file yourself to the root directory, it's unlikely you'd find anything
    > there on a Windows 7 machine, because you do need administrator permission
    > for that -- and yes, **that** is a feature, not a bug.

    Youtube downloader put it there and Win 7 let it do so.

    > > 7. There will be a way around this but I hate the way Windows won't
    > > show you things that you know are there.

    > Really!?! Copy a file, any file, to C:\ right now with administrator
    > permission and tell us whether or not Window 7 let's you see it. Crazy, eh?
    > I'm betting you didn't have to beg, cry, or holler even once for all to be
    > revealed. You just had to try it.
    >
    > > 8. Why does the Find option only have the option to see files changed:
    > > Yesterday, Last Week, Last Month, Last Year, A Long Tme Ago - but not
    > > Today? It seems that Today is also Yesterday.

    > Duh! There's a calendar **right there** when you click the Date Modified
    > options -- pick today's date, if that's what you want, or any other date
    > past or future. Now was that so hard?

    There's a calendar showing today's date but you have to click on the
    list that I mentioned above before it will do anything, and the list
    does not include today.True, Yesterday probably includes Today in
    Microsoft's reasoning, but it should say that. Win98SE says "Find all
    files changed in the previous day". What the hell was wrong with that
    wording? Why does MS keep changing things that don't need changing?
    Matty F, Aug 15, 2010
  8. Matty F

    BigglesZZzzz Guest

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 05:46:37 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >> 8. Why does the Find option only have the option to see files changed:
    >> Yesterday, Last Week, Last Month, Last Year, A Long Tme Ago - but not
    >> Today? It seems that Today is also Yesterday.

    > Quantum physics rules okay!
    >
    > BTW what is the root directory on Windows 7

    Not much has changed ... still stoned out of his brain

    Biggles
    BigglesZZzzz, Aug 15, 2010