    restarts when it wants to install some upgrade. Sometimes I don't see
    any warning. I presume there is a way to stop it from doing this
    automatically - maybe someone can enlighten me.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 19, 2011

  2. Gib Bogle

    nospam Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    >On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >restarts when it wants to install some upgrade. Sometimes I don't see
    >any warning. I presume there is a way to stop it from doing this
    >automatically - maybe someone can enlighten me.

    I got a new PC with Win 7 pro a week ago. I've been installing and
    fiddling ever since and never had an unannounced restart. Is this
    Windows updates you're talking about?

    How long is your shutdown / restart time. If it's long I guess you're
    gonna notice restarts but Win 7 is no different to XP as far as I can
    see.

    nospam, Jun 19, 2011

  3. Gib Bogle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, in message <itjgbt$ir0$>
    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    > restarts when it wants to install some upgrade. Sometimes I don't see
    > any warning.

    That doesn't happen here. When W7 wants to install Windows updates,
    the "Shut Down" button gets a little UAC shield on it. The updates
    are not installed until I shut down.

    > I presume there is a way to stop it from doing this
    > automatically - maybe someone can enlighten me.

    Google for it!
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=win7 update reboot
    Google finds these:
    <http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/6042-windows-update-enable-disable-automatic-restart.html>
    <http://www.ehow.com/how_5573302_disable-windows-auto-update-restart.html>

    My "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates
    installations" is still set to "Not configured" and yet my Win7 still
    does not preemptively restart.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 19, 2011
  4. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 6/19/2011 3:41 PM, Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, in message<itjgbt$ir0$>
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade. Sometimes I don't see
    >> any warning.

    > That doesn't happen here. When W7 wants to install Windows updates,
    > the "Shut Down" button gets a little UAC shield on it. The updates
    > are not installed until I shut down.
    >

    >> I presume there is a way to stop it from doing this
    >> automatically - maybe someone can enlighten me.

    > Google for it!
    > http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=win7 update reboot
    > Google finds these:
    > <http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/6042-windows-update-enable-disable-automatic-restart.html>
    > <http://www.ehow.com/how_5573302_disable-windows-auto-update-restart.html>
    >

    > My "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates
    > installations" is still set to "Not configured" and yet my Win7 still
    > does not preemptively restart.

    Thanks Ralph! The last couple of restarts (today and yesterday) show up
    in the Event Log as:

    The process C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe (GIB-PC) has initiated the
    restart of computer GIB-PC on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the
    following reason: Operating System: Recovery (Planned)
    Reason Code: 0x80020002
    Shutdown Type: restart

    Does this look like an upgrade-triggered restart?

    I see this note in one of the sites you provided:
    "By default, Windows Update automatic restart is enabled in Windows 7
    and Vista."

    Interesting that your system doesn't auto-restart. I'll follow the
    instructions given there for disabling it, and see what happens.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 19, 2011
  5. Gib Bogle

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    > restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    shutting down and restarting the computer!

    Boots, Jun 19, 2011
  6. Gib Bogle

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:41:18 +1200, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > That doesn't happen here. When W7 wants to install Windows updates, the
    > "Shut Down" button gets a little UAC shield on it. The updates are not
    > installed until I shut down.

    Why do you have to restart MS Windows merely to do something as basic as
    installing an update?

    Boots, Jun 19, 2011
  7. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 6/19/2011 7:00 PM, Boots wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    > Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    > systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    > shutting down and restarting the computer!

    I am not competent to answer that question.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 19, 2011
  8. Gib Bogle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:34:30 +1200, in message <itju8m$dbr$>
    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > I see this note in one of the sites you provided:
    > "By default, Windows Update automatic restart is enabled in Windows 7
    > and Vista."
    >
    > Interesting that your system doesn't auto-restart.

    That is not quite what my system is doing.

    NOT THIS: Installing the updates but not automatically restarting

    THIS: It downloads the updates but does not automatically install
    them, until I shut down Windows.

    Maybe it works this way because I have it configured to install
    updates at 3am

    Control Panel >> Windows Update >> Change settings

    Install updates: [ every day ] at [ 03:00 ]

    Instead of looking for a way to prevent your system from auto-rebooting
    after an install, what I think you should be looking for is a way to
    defer installation until you are ready. Same result for you, but you
    need to look in a different place.

    Ralph Fox, Jun 19, 2011
  9. Gib Bogle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:04:37 +0000 (UTC), in message <>
    Boots wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:41:18 +1200, Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    > > That doesn't happen here. When W7 wants to install Windows updates, the
    > > "Shut Down" button gets a little UAC shield on it. The updates are not
    > > installed until I shut down.

    > Why do you have to restart MS Windows merely to do something as basic as
    > installing an update?

    For anyone reading, I have just installed two Windows updates without restarting.

    Some updates don't require restarts, some do.
    Kind of like http://arencambre.com/blog/2010/10/06/ubuntu-linux-update-reboot/

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 19, 2011
  10. Gib Bogle

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:00:43 +0000 (UTC), Re: Windows 7 restarting, Boots
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    >Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    >systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    >shutting down and restarting the computer!

    What is the big thing about not rebooting the computer?
    Is it like seeing who can piss furthest up the toilet wall?

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.

    Msgr Scooter, Jun 19, 2011
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    On 6/19/2011 7:30 PM, Ralph Fox wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 16:34:30 +1200, in message<itju8m$dbr$>
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> I see this note in one of the sites you provided:
    >> "By default, Windows Update automatic restart is enabled in Windows 7
    >> and Vista."
    >>
    >> Interesting that your system doesn't auto-restart.

    > That is not quite what my system is doing.
    >
    > NOT THIS: Installing the updates but not automatically restarting
    >
    > THIS: It downloads the updates but does not automatically install
    > them, until I shut down Windows.

    I was being imprecise. I think it's the install+restart that's
    happening without my permission.

    > Maybe it works this way because I have it configured to install
    > updates at 3am
    >
    > Control Panel>> Windows Update>> Change settings
    >
    > Install updates: [ every day ] at [ 03:00 ]

    As far as I can see that's the default. It isn't clear why I'm seeing
    something different. I've now turned on the configuration and enabled
    option 3 (as above), will see if this changes anything. I suspect the
    behaviour I'm seeing may be related to the fact that I put the OS to
    sleep at night.

    Gib Bogle, Jun 19, 2011
  12. Gib Bogle

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 21:45:44 +1200, in message <itkgg8$jul$>
    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > On 6/19/2011 7:30 PM, Ralph Fox wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe it works this way because I have it configured to install
    >> updates at 3am
    >>
    >> Control Panel>> Windows Update>> Change settings
    >>
    >> Install updates: [ every day ] at [ 03:00 ]

    > As far as I can see that's the default. It isn't clear why I'm seeing
    > something different. I've now turned on the configuration and enabled
    > option 3 (as above), will see if this changes anything. I suspect the
    > behaviour I'm seeing may be related to the fact that I put the OS to
    > sleep at night.

    Perhaps -- and *how* are you putting it to sleep?

    If you use the so-called "power button" on the start menu,
    it changes to an "install updates and shut down" when there
    are updates ready to install. If you are doing it some
    otter way, perhaps you are passing that 3am deadline without
    installing.

    Go to: "Control Panel >> Taskbar and Start Menu" and select "Start menu" tab.
    You can set the "Power Button" to anything you like: "Shut Down",
    "Sleep" or "Hibernate". When there are updates ready to install, it
    becomes a "Install updates and and shut down" button.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 19, 2011
  13. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    On 19/06/11 19:00, Boots wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    > Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    > systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    > shutting down and restarting the computer!

    That's not true, Boots. Linux and similar Unix systems require a reboot
    to implement a new version of the kernel. However, you don't have to
    reboot to update most kernel *modules*. People are working towards being
    able to upgrade the kernel 'in flight', so to speak, but I don't really
    see why. It takes a few minutes to reboot every few months for a new kernel.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles

    Enkidu, Jun 20, 2011
  14. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    On 19/06/11 19:04, Boots wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 15:41:18 +1200, Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    >> That doesn't happen here. When W7 wants to install Windows updates, the
    >> "Shut Down" button gets a little UAC shield on it. The updates are not
    >> installed until I shut down.

    > Why do you have to restart MS Windows merely to do something as basic as
    > installing an update?

    Windows has been steadily reducing the number of reboots necessary on
    installing update. In the days of Win95 and Win2000 multiple reboots
    were often necessary for a single update. Nowadays you may go several
    months before needing to reboot the computer. A lot of the issues are
    due to the need to support old architectures.

    Enkidu, Jun 20, 2011
  15. On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:00:43 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    >Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    >systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    >shutting down and restarting the computer!

    Gee a 6 year old should know that, its because you cant update files
    that are being used by the system, so it does that in a DOS mode

    Frank Williams, Jun 20, 2011
  16. On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:30:33 +1200, Gib Bogle <>
    wrote:

    >On 6/19/2011 7:00 PM, Boots wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >>> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    >> Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    >> systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    >> shutting down and restarting the computer!
    >>

    >I am not competent to answer that question

    Active System files cant be updated when the Full system is running, so
    the Update are installed in sort of a DOS mode when the Windows system
    is not running.

    Frank Williams, Jun 20, 2011
  17. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/06/11 13:59, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:00:43 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:37:13 +1200, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >>
    >>> On of the things that pisses me off about W7 is the way it preemptively
    >>> restarts when it wants to install some upgrade.

    >> Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    >> systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    >> shutting down and restarting the computer!

    > Gee a 6 year old should know that, its because you cant update files
    > that are being used by the system, so it does that in a DOS mode

    It doesn't do anything in a "DOS mode". There is no "DOS mode".

    Enkidu, Jun 20, 2011
  18. Gib Bogle

    Enkidu Guest

    On 20/06/11 14:03, Frank Williams wrote:
    > On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 19:30:33 +1200, Gib Bogle<>
    > wrote:

    >>> Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    >>> systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    >>> shutting down and restarting the computer!
    >>>

    >> I am not competent to answer that question

    > Active System files cant be updated when the Full system is running, so
    > the Update are installed in sort of a DOS mode when the Windows system
    > is not running.

    There is no DOS mode. That still leaves the question of why
    'active system files' can't be updated when the system is running. I
    look forward to your comments on that points.

    Enkidu, Jun 20, 2011
  19. Gib Bogle

    AD. Guest

    On Jun 20, 4:07 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > On 20/06/11 13:59, Frank Williams wrote:> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:00:43 +0000 (UTC),
    > > Gee a 6 year old should know that, its because you cant update files
    > > that are being used by the system, so it does that in a DOS mode

    > It doesn't do anything in a "DOS mode". There is no "DOS mode".

    When Woger says that a 6 year old should know something, it really
    means he needs to go ask a 6 year old.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 20, 2011
  20. On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:07:52 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 20/06/11 13:59, Frank Williams wrote:
    >> On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 07:00:43 +0000 (UTC), Boots
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Why does MS Windows require restarts to apply updates? For years Unix
    >>> systems can even have updates applied to the kernel without requiring
    >>> shutting down and restarting the computer!

    >> Gee a 6 year old should know that, its because you cant update files
    >> that are being used by the system, so it does that in a DOS mode
    >>

    >It doesn't do anything in a "DOS mode". There is no "DOS mode".
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Have a read about the Command Consol to me that is a DOS Type mode, plus
    the CMD mode..

    Frank Williams, Jun 20, 2011