Windows 7 removes desktop, and reinits Outlook

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by KauaiDave, Feb 19, 2010.

  1. KauaiDave

    KauaiDave Guest

    Ever since I installed Windows 7 on my HP notebook it periodically
    "CLEANS" the desktop,
    and resets many programs to a "new" state. This behavior, which
    seemed cute to start with,
    is a disaster with regards to Outlook.

    When you next start Outlook it is as if it had never run on the box
    before, it looses all
    associations with my Outlook files. Last time I was able to link to a
    backup I made
    and reimport most of my old mails, *ONLY* loosing 6 weeks of emails.

    What is the best procedure to relink to my old Outlook files? I'd
    rather not start fresh
    again and lose all emails since the last backup/export.

    I need specific filenames and paths, my *nix is much stronger than my
    Windows.

    Thanks, KauaiDave
    KauaiDave, Feb 19, 2010

  2. This is not a behavior I have seen in the time I have been using Windows
    7 for more than a year.

    Is this 64-bit Windows 7?

    Did you do a clean install?

    Or, an upgrade?

    I have Windows 64-bit on three desktop systems and Windows 7 32-bit on
    three portable computers.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 19, 2010

  3. KauaiDave

    Jeff Layman Guest

    "KauaiDave" <> wrote in message

    > Ever since I installed Windows 7 on my HP notebook it periodically
    > "CLEANS" the desktop,
    > and resets many programs to a "new" state. This behavior, which
    > seemed cute to start with,
    > is a disaster with regards to Outlook.
    >
    > When you next start Outlook it is as if it had never run on the box
    > before, it looses all
    > associations with my Outlook files. Last time I was able to link to a
    > backup I made
    > and reimport most of my old mails, *ONLY* loosing 6 weeks of emails.
    >
    > What is the best procedure to relink to my old Outlook files? I'd
    > rather not start fresh
    > again and lose all emails since the last backup/export.
    >
    > I need specific filenames and paths, my *nix is much stronger than my
    > Windows.
    >
    > Thanks, KauaiDave

    Almost sounds like it is running a sort of System Restore periodically.

    Are you sure that you don't have any malware on your notebook?

    --

    Jeff
    Jeff Layman, Feb 19, 2010