Windows 7 Remote Assistance

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John, Oct 9, 2011.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I don't know whether this is the correct utility to use for what I was
    wanting to do but I have been trying to establish a remote link
    between two Windows 7 Home Premium running systems using the Easy
    Connect feature of Windows 7. Unfortunately this utility did not work
    despite entering the correct password it kept popping up again every
    20 seconds or so asking whether I wanted to retry. It would be handy
    to know why its not working and to get it working as it may come in
    useful in the future.

    I was simply wanting to make a connection so I could transfer files
    from one system to the other. I am guessing though that if you're both
    connected to the same ADSL router then it would probably be better to
    make a network connection over that instead and a lot faster as well?
    Question now is how do I do that? If I want to transfer from one
    system to the other but do not want the other system to have access to
    my system? Is there a way to do that?

    Thanks,

    John

    John, Oct 9, 2011

  2. John

    John Guest

    I have gone through the process to create a homegroup but
    unfortunately when I go to control panel type in homegroup and click
    on it, there is now no join button for the other computer to join the
    homegroup. I have tried on both machines to create a homegroup and on
    neither machine there exists no option to join! What gives
    Microsoft????

    I guess now I just skip the Microsoft nonesence and try and just
    establish a network as I would have within XP and older operating
    systems?

    It seems that with Windows 7 Microsoft have made simple things more
    complex by simplifying and in the process have removed useful and
    important features and functionality. Big FAIL Microsoft!

    A step back from XP, but I guess still a huge step up from Vista.

    John

    John, Oct 9, 2011

  3. Easy Connect is for asssistance, not file transfer.

    A Windows 7 machine can be a member of only one Homegroup at a time. If
    each machine has created a Homegroup it cannot join another.

    Leave the Homegroup on one of the machines and it will then be able to
    join the Homegroup on the other.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 9, 2011
  4. "John" <> wrote in message
    >I don't know whether this is the correct utility to use for what I was
    > wanting to do but I have been trying to establish a remote link
    > between two Windows 7 Home Premium running systems using the Easy
    > Connect feature of Windows 7. Unfortunately this utility did not work
    > despite entering the correct password it kept popping up again every
    > 20 seconds or so asking whether I wanted to retry. It would be handy
    > to know why its not working and to get it working as it may come in
    > useful in the future.
    >
    > I was simply wanting to make a connection so I could transfer files
    > from one system to the other. I am guessing though that if you're both
    > connected to the same ADSL router then it would probably be better to
    > make a network connection over that instead and a lot faster as well?
    > Question now is how do I do that? If I want to transfer from one
    > system to the other but do not want the other system to have access to
    > my system? Is there a way to do that?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > John

    I think you can connect to the C drive shared as C$ in Home Premium.
    Like so \\COMPUTERNAME\C$
    Enter the Administrator credentials.
    I don't reacll if there is anything that needs to be enabled to do this.

    Cheers

    Martin Riddle, Oct 13, 2011