    Is this a trial version? Full version? How much will it cost?
    Anyone?

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, May 4, 2009

  2. James D. Andrews

    Nelson Ogden Guest

    I think that Microsoft's Web site answers those quesitons. Look there for
    all the details, but to answer your questions, it is a full version that
    works for a set amount of time. It is a free download.

    -Nelson

    Nelson Ogden, May 5, 2009

  3. James D. Andrews

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, May 5, 2009
  4. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message
    > http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39646595,00.htm
    >
    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >> So, Windows 7 RC1 is supposed to be available to the public for download
    >> tomorrow.
    >> Is this a trial version? Full version? How much will it cost?
    >> Anyone?
    >>
    >> Woof

    Thanks. I got the details when I logged on this morning.
    From what I read, it will be an easy upgrade for Vista, but those of us on
    XP, it will be a pain in the ass. We'll have to back up system and all
    data, do a clean install of 7, then reinstall all programs and data. There
    goes a whole day or two.

    Also, it's timebombware, which in itself I don't mind given the length of
    trial time, but the two-phase timebomb is ridiculous. It will stop working
    in June 2010, OK, but starting on March 1, it will crash your computer every
    2 hours. Yeah, I know the solution is to upgrade or remove by that date,
    but it seems like a freaky way to do things. They should just have the one
    disable date. I suspect the 2 hour crash might cause more problems, like
    data loss of open programs.

    Reviews say the XP Mode is complete trash. If so, that defeats the whole
    purpose of having XP mode.

    I guess I'll hold off for awhile and see what others have to say about it
    before I invest my time. I also have to fix my test computer, anyway.

    Woof
    James D. Andrews, May 5, 2009
  5. James D. Andrews

    - Bobb - Guest

    > From what I read, it will be an easy upgrade for Vista, but those of us on
    > XP, it will be a pain in the ass. We'll have to back up system and all
    > data, do a clean install of 7, then reinstall all programs and data.
    > There goes a whole day or two.
    >
    > I guess I'll hold off for awhile and see what others have to say about it
    > before I invest my time. I also have to fix my test computer, anyway.
    >
    > Woof

    Are you familiar with XP boot.ini ?
    If not familiar with boot managers, read a bit about Microsoft's BCDEDIT -
    to get the concept for "the nerw way" , but with EasyBCD it's a snap to
    modify the boot menu - as it was with boot.ini

    What I do for non-laptops: add an old disk drive ( or even new one these
    days for cheap money) and install new OS on there. Especially if you have "
    a test computer". My test box had 2000, XP, X64, Beta Vista etc
    When beta expired, just format the partition/drive and reuse the space for
    archiving etc.
    Then just changed menu to make XP the default again.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,66204-order,1-page,1/description.html
    - Bobb -, May 6, 2009
  6. "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote in message

    > "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> I guess I'll hold off for awhile and see what others have to say about it
    >> before I invest my time. I also have to fix my test computer, anyway.
    >>
    >> Woof

    > Are you familiar with XP boot.ini ?
    > If not familiar with boot managers, read a bit about Microsoft's
    > BCDEDIT - to get the concept for "the nerw way" , but with EasyBCD it's a
    > snap to modify the boot menu - as it was with boot.ini
    >
    > What I do for non-laptops: add an old disk drive ( or even new one these
    > days for cheap money) and install new OS on there. Especially if you have
    > " a test computer". My test box had 2000, XP, X64, Beta Vista etc
    > When beta expired, just format the partition/drive and reuse the space for
    > archiving etc.
    > Then just changed menu to make XP the default again.
    > http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,66204-order,1-page,1/description.html

    Thanks for the tip. I put it on my Things to Look Up list.
    James D. Andrews, May 6, 2009