Windows 7 Questions....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2012.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey kids.

    I've recently put W7 [64-bit] on my heavy iron and need help with a few
    things. I guess I could Google but I'm hoping the fine folks here will hwlp
    me a bit as I'm late adopting it you guys probably already know the answers
    to my few questions.

    The pressing questions right now are:

    How do I make it so that, when I'm copying files, the 'More Details' part of
    the copy window *always* shows? I've been testing the speed of my USB sticks
    (with varying FAT32 cluster sizes) and it's a PITA to always have to click
    the arrow so the drop-down part shows. Even when copying across HDDs I'd
    like to know how fast it's going....

    The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing thumbs in
    the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a list? I'm getting
    sick of changing that all the time and right-clicking, going to 'properties'
    isn;'t helping me. :(

    Any and all help appreciated. I hope you're all having great weekends. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2012

  2. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 16/06/12 12:55, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing thumbs in
    > the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a list? I'm getting
    > sick of changing that all the time and right-clicking, going to 'properties'
    > isn;'t helping me. :(

    I think if you change it at a high level you can specify that you want
    it to apply to folders and subfolders. At least, you have been able to
    do this in earlier versions of Windows.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Jun 16, 2012

  3. ~misfit~

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:55:16 +1200
    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Hey kids.
    >
    > I've recently put W7 [64-bit] on my heavy iron and need help with a
    > few things. I guess I could Google but I'm hoping the fine folks here
    > will hwlp me a bit as I'm late adopting it you guys probably already
    > know the answers to my few questions.
    >
    > The pressing questions right now are:
    >
    > How do I make it so that, when I'm copying files, the 'More Details'
    > part of the copy window *always* shows? I've been testing the speed
    > of my USB sticks (with varying FAT32 cluster sizes) and it's a PITA
    > to always have to click the arrow so the drop-down part shows. Even
    > when copying across HDDs I'd like to know how fast it's going....
    >
    > The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing
    > thumbs in the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a
    > list? I'm getting sick of changing that all the time and
    > right-clicking, going to 'properties' isn;'t helping me. :(
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated. I hope you're all having great
    > weekends. :)

    Hi
    fdisk and install openSUSE...... the use hdparm ;)

    I think it's Control panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Folder
    Options -> View tab. You should be able to configure it all there?

    There is hdaparm for windows, else boot from something like parted magic
    and use the GUI tools there to play around.....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.31-0.9-default
    Malcolm, Jun 16, 2012
  4. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jrglhp$o26$>, ,
    ~misfit~ says...

    > Hey kids.
    >
    > I've recently put W7 [64-bit] on my heavy iron and need help with a few
    > things. I guess I could Google but I'm hoping the fine folks here will hwlp
    > me a bit as I'm late adopting it you guys probably already know the answers
    > to my few questions.
    >
    > The pressing questions right now are:
    >
    > How do I make it so that, when I'm copying files, the 'More Details' part of
    > the copy window *always* shows? I've been testing the speed of my USB sticks
    > (with varying FAT32 cluster sizes) and it's a PITA to always have to click
    > the arrow so the drop-down part shows. Even when copying across HDDs I'd
    > like to know how fast it's going....

    Best option here methinks is to use a third party 'explorer'. I use
    MultiCommander (free edition) - it's excellent.

    http://multicommander.com/

    There's another, more well known and popular one, but I can't recall the
    name now.

    > The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing

    thumbs in
    > the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a list? I'm getting
    > sick of changing that all the time and right-clicking, going to 'properties'
    > isn;'t helping me. :(
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated. I hope you're all having great weekends. :)

    The (view) changes you make, per folder, should, by default, stick.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 22, 2012
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    > On 16/06/12 12:55, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >> The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing
    >> thumbs in the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a
    >> list? I'm getting sick of changing that all the time and
    >> right-clicking, going to 'properties' isn;'t helping me. :(
    >>

    > I think if you change it at a high level you can specify that you want
    > it to apply to folders and subfolders. At least, you have been able to
    > do this in earlier versions of Windows.

    Thanks Cliff. Unfortuaneately I've been getting a 'you don't have admin
    authority to do that' messages a few times. I don't know why, I'm the only
    user on the machine. I guess I'll have to Google it - this sort of stuff is
    why I gave up on W7 the first time I tried it, pre-sp1. Surely 'help' should
    tell me, I shouldn't have to go to Google? <sigh>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2012
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Malcolm wrote:
    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 12:55:16 +1200
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hey kids.
    >>
    >> I've recently put W7 [64-bit] on my heavy iron and need help with a
    >> few things. I guess I could Google but I'm hoping the fine folks here
    >> will hwlp me a bit as I'm late adopting it you guys probably already
    >> know the answers to my few questions.
    >>
    >> The pressing questions right now are:
    >>
    >> How do I make it so that, when I'm copying files, the 'More Details'
    >> part of the copy window *always* shows? I've been testing the speed
    >> of my USB sticks (with varying FAT32 cluster sizes) and it's a PITA
    >> to always have to click the arrow so the drop-down part shows. Even
    >> when copying across HDDs I'd like to know how fast it's going....
    >>
    >> The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing
    >> thumbs in the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a
    >> list? I'm getting sick of changing that all the time and
    >> right-clicking, going to 'properties' isn;'t helping me. :(
    >>
    >> Any and all help appreciated. I hope you're all having great
    >> weekends. :)

    > Hi
    > fdisk and install openSUSE...... the use hdparm ;)

    LOL, predictable me old mate.

    > I think it's Control panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Folder
    > Options -> View tab. You should be able to configure it all there?

    You'd think so huh? See my reply to Cliff.

    > There is hdaparm for windows, else boot from something like parted
    > magic and use the GUI tools there to play around.....

    Thanks Malcolm. Hope you're well.

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2012
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <jrglhp$o26$>, ,
    > ~misfit~ says...
    >>
    >> Hey kids.
    >>
    >> I've recently put W7 [64-bit] on my heavy iron and need help with a
    >> few things. I guess I could Google but I'm hoping the fine folks
    >> here will hwlp me a bit as I'm late adopting it you guys probably
    >> already know the answers to my few questions.
    >>
    >> The pressing questions right now are:
    >>
    >> How do I make it so that, when I'm copying files, the 'More Details'
    >> part of the copy window *always* shows? I've been testing the speed
    >> of my USB sticks (with varying FAT32 cluster sizes) and it's a PITA
    >> to always have to click the arrow so the drop-down part shows. Even
    >> when copying across HDDs I'd like to know how fast it's going....

    > Best option here methinks is to use a third party 'explorer'. I use
    > MultiCommander (free edition) - it's excellent.
    >
    > http://multicommander.com/
    >
    > There's another, more well known and popular one, but I can't recall
    > the name now.
    >
    >> The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing

    > thumbs in
    >> the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a list? I'm
    >> getting sick of changing that all the time and right-clicking, going
    >> to 'properties' isn;'t helping me. :(
    >>
    >> Any and all help appreciated. I hope you're all having great
    >> weekends. :)

    > The (view) changes you make, per folder, should, by default, stick.

    Cheers buddy. I was hoping that W7 would be mature enough now for it to
    'just work'. I'd rather not use 3rd party stuff if I can get away without
    it.....

    Be well,

    ~misfit~, Jun 28, 2012
  8. ~misfit~

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <jsguao$cnc$>, ,
    ~misfit~ says...

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    > > On 16/06/12 12:55, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > >>
    > >> The other thing right now is how can I stop 7 from always showing
    > >> thumbs in the folder view (when it's media files) and just show a
    > >> list? I'm getting sick of changing that all the time and
    > >> right-clicking, going to 'properties' isn;'t helping me. :(
    > >>

    > > I think if you change it at a high level you can specify that you want
    > > it to apply to folders and subfolders. At least, you have been able to
    > > do this in earlier versions of Windows.

    > Thanks Cliff. Unfortuaneately I've been getting a 'you don't have admin
    > authority to do that' messages a few times. I don't know why, I'm the only
    > user on the machine. I guess I'll have to Google it - this sort of stuff is
    > why I gave up on W7 the first time I tried it, pre-sp1. Surely 'help' should
    > tell me, I shouldn't have to go to Google? <sigh>
    >
    > Cheers,

    That seems non-default behaviour methinks. Maybe not. But... if you're
    setting this via a 'My Computer' window, try running it in admin mode -
    hold down <Ctrl><Shift> and click/double-click to open. By default
    there's a Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar you can try that out on.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 28, 2012
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <jsguao$cnc$>, ,
    > ~misfit~ says...
    >>
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:

    >>> I think if you change it at a high level you can specify that you
    >>> want it to apply to folders and subfolders. At least, you have been
    >>> able to do this in earlier versions of Windows.

    >> Thanks Cliff. Unfortuaneately I've been getting a 'you don't have
    >> admin authority to do that' messages a few times. I don't know why,
    >> I'm the only user on the machine. I guess I'll have to Google it -
    >> this sort of stuff is why I gave up on W7 the first time I tried it,
    >> pre-sp1. Surely 'help' should tell me, I shouldn't have to go to
    >> Google? <sigh>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > That seems non-default behaviour methinks. Maybe not. But... if
    > you're setting this via a 'My Computer' window, try running it in
    > admin mode - hold down <Ctrl><Shift> and click/double-click to open.
    > By default there's a Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar you can try
    > that out on.

    I can do certain things by right-clicking and choosing 'run as
    administrator' but things like changing folder views don't have that option.

    I'm still dual-booting and, at the moment, only using W7 (64-bit, I have 8GB
    RAM in that machine) for gaming. Just noodling around in the OS is much too
    complex when I'm used to XP, which I found nice and simple.

    If only I could have the advantages of 7 (superfetch, readyboost, etc...)
    with the simplicity of XP. <sigh>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 10, 2012
  10. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-07-10, ~misfit~ <> wrote:

    > I can do certain things by right-clicking and choosing 'run as
    > administrator' but things like changing folder views don't have that option.

    I read to-day, PCUSER updated Techlife, page 113 that for the elevated
    command prompt, running as administrator, is not the same as running the
    programme as the administrator.

    Might explain the case misfit is experiencing.
    Gordon, Jul 11, 2012