    snapdoodle@. Guest

    How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    its own window? Why is it like it is?

    snapdoodle@., Nov 11, 2010

  2. snapdoodle@.

    snapdoodle@. Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:08:14 -0500, snapdoodle@. wrote:

    >How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    >its own window? Why is it like it is?

    Uuugh. How do you add/remove programs? And there's a Norton spam
    thingy I want to get rid of but can't even close out of...just
    minimize. I want to get rid of that because I believe it's
    preventing me from installing the virus protection I want to use.
    In my other PC without the Norton superspam thing the same
    program loaded with no problem.

    snapdoodle@., Nov 11, 2010

  3. snapdoodle@.

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    snapdoodle@. wrote:
    > How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    > its own window? Why is it like it is?

    Why is what what it was?

    Sorry, my crystal ball is fogged up.

    Sjouke Burry, Nov 11, 2010
  4. snapdoodle@.

    robertva Guest

    On 11/11/2010 5:48 PM, snapdoodle@. wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 16:08:14 -0500, snapdoodle@. wrote:
    >
    >> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    >> its own window? Why is it like it is?

    > Uuugh. How do you add/remove programs? And there's a Norton spam
    > thingy I want to get rid of but can't even close out of...just
    > minimize. I want to get rid of that because I believe it's
    > preventing me from installing the virus protection I want to use.
    > In my other PC without the Norton superspam thing the same
    > program loaded with no problem.

    The Norton product was probably added by your new computer's
    manufacturer, not part of Microsoft's Operating System (OS). I seen
    suggestions to look on Kim Kommando's site for advice about removing
    manufacturer bundled programs like that. Also note that, although
    Microsoft Office and Microsoft Word come from the same Publisher as the
    OS, they are NOT part of the OS and might cost you quite a bit extra for
    them if you use them for more than a few months after you first start
    your new computer. Many computer manufacturer's add demonstration
    versions of software that will only function for a limited time. The
    software manufacturer's partially subsidize the manufacturing cost of
    the computer in return. It's a bit like ads in a magazine.

    Paste ALL of the following link into your browser address bar for a
    recent article on this subject.

    http://www.komando.com/tips/index.a...ntent=2010-11-11-article-1&utm_campaign=end-b

    Make sure you spell Komando with a "k", or you will visit a COMPLETELY
    different themed site.

    The Demo I saw last week featured a address (URL)/search bar at the top
    of each Windows Explorer window (very similar to the address/search bar
    on Internet Explorer versions 7 and 8). The same combination control was
    on the Windows emblem menu (left end of the Task Bar).

    If autorun is active on your DVD reader many software titles will
    install themselves when you insert the disk in your computer. At the
    demonstration last week Add/Remove was still in the Control Panel, but
    had a different name (which I don't recall). You might find more
    specifics on Kim's site or through a Google search.

    robertva, Nov 12, 2010
  5. snapdoodle@.

    Paul Guest

    snapdoodle@. wrote:
    > How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    > its own window? Why is it like it is?

    You can get third-party add-ons, to make your new Windows look like
    your old Windows.

    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2227/get-the-classic-start-menu-in-windows-7/

    *******

    In the old Windows, you'd go to Tools : Folder Options : General, and select...

    Open each folder in its own window

    That's the Tools entry at the top of the folder you're looking at.

    On Windows 7, try Organize : Folder and Search Options : General, and select...

    Open each folder in its own window

    In other words, they changed the location of the controls a bit,
    so you'd have to search all over the place trying to find it. The
    staff at Microsoft, wanted you to feel like an idiot. And to
    help enforce that feeling, they put search boxes, so you could
    type one question after another, read gobs of text, to get the
    simplest things done. These are the elements of a successful
    user interface. Gobs of text. Gobs of text, is the future of
    computing. (My eyesight is bad, and I *hate* this approach.)

    Maybe on the next generation of computers, they'll get rid
    of the LCD screen, and go back to address LEDs and toggle
    switches. This is what Windows 8 will look like. And if you
    can't make it work, they'll tell you "you're holding it wrong" :)

    http://www.jodypaul.com/gr/altair8800.jpg

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 12, 2010
  6. snapdoodle@.

    snapdoodle@. Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 00:01:52 +0100, Sjouke Burry
    <> wrote:

    >snapdoodle@. wrote:
    >> How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    >> its own window? Why is it like it is?

    >Why is what what it was?

    Is.

    snapdoodle@., Nov 12, 2010
  7. snapdoodle@.

    Don Stauffer Guest

    On 11/11/2010 3:08 PM, snapdoodle@. wrote:
    > How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    > its own window? Why is it like it is?

    You do a search from Windows Explorer. Search window is still in upper
    right corner. I do not like the search procedures as well as earlier
    versions of Windows, but it does work.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Nov 12, 2010
  8. <snapdoodle@.> wrote in message
    > How do you do a hard drive search? How do you view each folder in
    > its own window? Why is it like it is?

    You're asking _very_ fundemental questions about Windows in general, not
    just Win7. You've also found out why most people like WinXP (and earlier)
    versions.

    To view folders in their own windoe, you have to start Windows Explorer
    (right-click START, or left-click START>Programs>Accessories>Windows
    Explorer), and then choose Tools>Folder Options, and make the setting
    choices you want.

    PERSONALLY
    I like the Windows Classic View from days gone by, and I find that Microsoft
    has made a huge mistake by removing the Classic format from the way they
    display files and menu bars. I've been around since the early days of DOS,
    so when Windows came along and I jumped on the train, I always despised the
    "web view" presentation when it came along with Win98, or whenever the
    buttons and menus were changed. But I digress...

    You also asked about Add/Remove Programs. Go to the Control Panel and select
    Programs and Features. This is the same as in Vista.

    Jeff Strickland, Nov 12, 2010
  9. snapdoodle@.

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:41:59 -0800, "Jeff Strickland"
    <> wrote:

    >PERSONALLY
    >I like the Windows Classic View from days gone by, and I find that Microsoft
    >has made a huge mistake by removing the Classic format from the way they
    >display files and menu bars. I've been around since the early days of DOS,
    >so when Windows came along and I jumped on the train, I always despised the
    >"web view" presentation when it came along with Win98, or whenever the
    >buttons and menus were changed. But I digress...

    Have you considered Classic Shell?
    <http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html>

    Char Jackson, Nov 12, 2010
  10. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    > I like the Windows Classic View from days gone by, and I find that
    > Microsoft has made a huge mistake by removing the Classic format from
    > the way they display files and menu bars.

    Yes, winfile.exe was a nice option, particularly for those accustomed to
    dosshell.exe.

    --
    Thor Kottelin
    http://www.anta.net/

    Thor Kottelin, Nov 12, 2010
  11. snapdoodle@.

    MotoFox Guest

    Wouldja believe I still run winfile as the frontend on my 98SE, to this day?

    I never wanted a GUI, and try to avoid them if at all possible. Tried setting
    DOSPRMPT.PIF (the PIF file that calls upon COMMAND.COM from within DOS-based Win
    distributions) as my interface, but didn't work very well. It was still usable,
    but some programmes wouldn't function correctly with it running.

    On the other hand, I have my Win2Ksp4 set in the registry to boot up with
    cmd.exe as my front-end. Just DOS-like enough that most of my DOS software runs
    under it, but Win programmes still function as they are supposed to. Exploiter,
    meanwhile, stays out of sight and out of mind until explicitly called upon by me.

    *sighs* I guess I'm just an old DOS dinosaur......

    MotoFox, Nov 15, 2010
  12. snapdoodle@.

    Baron Guest

    MotoFox Inscribed thus:

    > Wouldja believe I still run winfile as the frontend on my 98SE, to
    > this day?
    >
    > I never wanted a GUI, and try to avoid them if at all possible. Tried
    > setting DOSPRMPT.PIF (the PIF file that calls upon COMMAND.COM from
    > within DOS-based Win distributions) as my interface, but didn't work
    > very well. It was still usable, but some programmes wouldn't function
    > correctly with it running.
    >
    > On the other hand, I have my Win2Ksp4 set in the registry to boot up
    > with cmd.exe as my front-end. Just DOS-like enough that most of my DOS
    > software runs under it, but Win programmes still function as they are
    > supposed to. Exploiter, meanwhile, stays out of sight and out of mind
    > until explicitly called upon by me.
    >
    > *sighs* I guess I'm just an old DOS dinosaur......

    Yes :)
    But Isn't it nice to be in control...

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Nov 15, 2010
  13. snapdoodle@.

    Kele Guest

    No doubt you figured it out already. I disable Windows Indexing to make the
    system run faster by not tracking where every program and file is on the
    computer. When this is disabled, the Start Menu search does not work to
    find my files. Instead, open a Windows Explorer window - "my files" on your
    desk top for example. To the right of the address bar on top is a search
    cell. You can select the directory/folder to be searched via the address
    bar or left pane file tree. Not too different than the older operating
    systems.

    What I will always do from now on is upon receiving a new computer, Dell,
    HP, etc... First thing is put the Operating System disc in and reinstall
    the OS removing the previous. All that add-on stuff (bloatware) from the
    dealers, ie: Norton 30 day trial will be gone and only the clean operating
    system remains. The computer often includes a dealer resource disc, so you
    can later add ONLY what you want, ie: maybe the Dell Webcam Central app.
    Norton and McAfee are huge programz that get all up in the registry and
    don't completely uninstall. A fresh install of the OS cleans all of this.
    Then load the office programs and do Windows and driver updates (if
    applicable). Tweak your running Services (optional). Now you have a clean
    and up to date base. This is an opportunity to create a System Image
    back-up so that this point can be recovered, or install your choicest
    programs and then do a System Image - don't load files, music, pictures, etc
    yet as System Image will include these and you could require many more blank
    DVD-Rs or CD-Rs and a lotta more back-up time. I'm not a fan of restore
    points, but System Image does work.

    - Kele

    Kele, Nov 17, 2010