    public newsgroup. There doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7 newsgroup.

    --
    Thank You

    Richard, Dec 4, 2009

  2. There are no Win7 newsgroups. Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, has decided
    that users prefer web forums, so it no longer supports new newsgroups.
    However, that being said, we're happy to provide peer to peer support here
    for all 64-bit versions of Windows, including Windows 7. So ask away.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 4, 2009

  3. Richard

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 04/12/2009 in message <> Richard
    wrote:

    >I have functionality questions about the subject utilities but don't want
    >to post them if this is not the right newsgroup. If it is OK to post here
    >let me know. Otherwise, I appreciate being directed to the correct
    >Microsoft public newsgroup. There doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7
    >newsgroup.

    There is:
    alt.windows7.general

    which is quite lively - not carried by the MSFT servers though.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    640k ought to be enough for anyone.

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 4, 2009
  4. Richard

    Richard Guest

    First of all thanks to David B. and Charlie Russel for the invite to this
    newsgroup and to Jeff Gaines for pointing me to a web-based group.

    OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

    I'd like to think that my issue is simple.

    OBJECTIVES:

    Create multiple backup scenarios as follows:

    1. Complete system backup to my external hard drive weekly. NOTE: This has
    been completed, and works great, using the Windows 7 Backup and Restore
    Utility.

    2. Backup of all Libraries (documents, music, pictures & videos) daily. Can't
    figure out how to accomplish this task.

    PROBLEMS:

    1. It appears that the Backup and Restore Utility can only handle 1
    scenario. As indicated above, I've already used that for my complete system
    backup.

    2. I thought that I could accomplish scenario 2 using the Task Scheduler
    Utility. However, Microsoft has seen fit to make this once simple utility
    very complicated. (Charlie, it was probably the same person that made the
    decision to replace newsgroups with web forums). While not a computer
    novice, I have never been into "scripting" and "strings", etc. I'm as good
    at that as I am at golfing (EM, don't go there).

    3. In reviewing the Task Scheduler Utility, I do not see that "Backup.exe"
    is available when browsing for "Start a Program". In Windows 7, it must be
    named something else. Also, I don't know where I would indicate the "source"
    and "destination" locations.

    RESOLUTION:

    1. Can someone help me in accomplishing scenario 2 using Task Scheduler, or

    2. Instruct me how to accomplish my objectives using other Windows 7 tools.
    I really don't want to purchase alternative software or use multiple
    applications, requiring me to remember what application is backing up which
    sets of files.

    If I haven't provided sufficient information or have been unclear, please
    let me know.

    --
    Thank You

    Richard, Dec 4, 2009
  5. Richard

    wrote:

    >1. Can someone help me in accomplishing scenario 2 using Task Scheduler, or
    >
    >2. Instruct me how to accomplish my objectives using other Windows 7
    >tools. I really don't want to purchase alternative software or use
    >multiple applications, requiring me to remember what application is
    >backing up which sets of files.

    Good old XCOPY is still around and working well :)

    A batch file with:
    REM Send To
    xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\JeffWS\SendTo\*.*" "d:\PData\SendTo\" /D
    /S /E /C /I /Q /F /H /R /V /Y > "C:\Temp\SendTo.log"

    Change the source and destination (and log file destination if
    appropriate) and run it from the task scheduler.

    NB - If you run XCOPY /? it will provide help with the flags.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 4, 2009
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Jerry,

    Thanks for the quick response. XCOPY will "copy" the files from the "source"
    to the "destination". I really don't want to do that because of the number
    of files that are on the source drive and the time it takes to complete. I
    would rather use a "backup" method which is faster and takes less disc
    space. I did notice that Task Scheduler has "robocopy.exe" which I would
    think does the same thing as "XCOPY". I could use that rather than writing a
    batch file, however, I would still have the problem of knowing how to enter
    the "source" and "destination" locations into the Task Scheduler forms. I'd
    much prefer a "backup" solution. If I went with a "copy" solution, I could
    just use "drag and drop" before I go to bed each night.
    --
    Thank You

    Richard, Dec 4, 2009
  7. Well, the problem is that Windows now uses a full image backup, as you've
    discovered. To really accomplish what you're asking for, you pretty much
    have to go to some other third party solution. Or, even better, my personal
    favourite, Windows Home Server. This is really where WHS shines. It does a
    full backup every night, but ONLY backs up the files that have changed. And
    it has a full image of your HD so it can restore in minutes, versus hours.
    And is completely and totally painless to set up. WHS has other features
    that can be quite useful, and a whole host of add-ins to give additional
    functionality. But to me, where it really shines above all the rest is as a
    Windows client backup solution. And I've written a whole heck of a lot of
    backup chapters in the last 19 years.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2009
  8. Richard

    wrote:

    >Thanks for the quick response. XCOPY will "copy" the files from the
    >"source" to the "destination". I really don't want to do that because of
    >the number of files that are on the source drive and the time it takes to
    >complete. I would rather use a "backup" method which is faster and takes
    >less disc space. I did notice that Task Scheduler has "robocopy.exe" which
    >I would think does the same thing as "XCOPY". I could use that rather than
    >writing a batch file, however, I would still have the problem of knowing
    >how to enter the "source" and "destination" locations into the Task
    >Scheduler forms. I'd much prefer a "backup" solution. If I went with a
    >"copy" solution, I could just use "drag and drop" before I go to bed each
    >night.

    The / D flag means that XCOPY will only copy files with a later time
    stamp, it won't copy everything after the first run :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 5, 2009
  9. And the /m flag uses the archive attribute to only copy those files that
    have had the archive attribute set. The archive attribute is on by default,
    and is cleared by many backup programs, including the using xcopy with the
    /m flag. Or you can use the /a flag, which copies the same files as /m, but
    does not clear the attribute flag. Using /a gives you a "differential"
    backup since the last full backup. Using /m gives you an "incremental"
    since the last incremental or full.

    It would be pretty easy to define a little batch file for you if we knew
    exactly what you needed.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 5, 2009
  10. Richard

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 05/12/2009 in message <> Charlie
    Russel - MVP wrote:

    >And the /m flag uses the archive attribute to only copy those files that
    >have had the archive attribute set. The archive attribute is on by
    >default, and is cleared by many backup programs, including the using xcopy
    >with the /m flag. Or you can use the /a flag, which copies the same files
    >as /m, but does not clear the attribute flag. Using /a gives you a
    >"differential" backup since the last full backup. Using /m gives you an
    >"incremental" since the last incremental or full.
    >
    >It would be pretty easy to define a little batch file for you if we knew
    >exactly what you needed.

    Indeed, XCOPY is actually a very powerful bit of kit :)

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

    Jeff Gaines, Dec 5, 2009
  11. On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 06:32:58 GMT, Charlie Russel - MVP wrote
    in news::

    > Or, even better, my personal
    > favourite, Windows Home Server. This is really where WHS
    > shines. It does a full backup every night, but ONLY backs
    > up the files that have changed.

    WHS is absolutely the BEST backup solution I've used in thirty
    years of home/small-office computing. All my computers wakeup in
    the middle of the night and do their backup chores without human
    intervention. It is truly magic.

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Dec 7, 2009