  1. Rats

    Rats Guest

    I can't find any prices on the interweb. Any ideas?
    Rats, Oct 8, 2009

  2. Rats

    joe_90 Guest

    joe_90, Oct 8, 2009

  3. Rats

    Crapats (TM) Guest

    On Oct 9, 10:40 am, joe_90 <joe_90_no@spam_hush.com> wrote:
    > Rats wrote:
    > > I can't find any prices on the interweb. Any ideas?

    > http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=83

    Damn, that's expensive. How come we have to pay $600 for Windows 7
    Professional when it's available for $199 in the US? :-(
    Crapats (TM), Oct 8, 2009
  4. Rats

    starlyte Guest

    On Oct 9, 10:55 am, "Crapats (TM)" <> wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 10:40 am, joe_90 <joe_90_no@spam_hush.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Rats wrote:
    > > > I can't find any prices on the interweb. Any ideas?

    > >http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=83

    > Damn, that's expensive. How come we have to pay $600 for Windows 7
    > Professional when it's available for $199 in the US? :-(

    here we go again.....
    How bout buying the OEM with a power cord:
    http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382325
    starlyte, Oct 8, 2009
  5. Rats

    Crapats (TM) Guest

    Crapats (TM), Oct 8, 2009
  6. Rats

    starlyte Guest

    On Oct 9, 11:31 am, "Crapats (TM)" <> wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 11:27 am, starlyte <> wrote:
    >
    > > here we go again.....
    > > How bout buying the OEM with a power cord:http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382325

    > Ah I see! Thanks for that. The price is not so bad after all.

    was it OEM or full retail US price that you found?
    starlyte, Oct 9, 2009
  7. Rats

    Crapats (TM) Guest

    Crapats (TM), Oct 9, 2009
  8. Rats

    JohnO Guest

    On Oct 9, 11:27 am, starlyte <> wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 10:55 am, "Crapats (TM)" <> wrote:

    > > >http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=83

    > > Damn, that's expensive. How come we have to pay $600 for Windows 7
    > > Professional when it's available for $199 in the US? :-(

    > here we go again.....
    > How bout buying the OEM with a power cord:http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382325

    Will the retailers allow it? Or do you have to buy a pc?
    JohnO, Oct 9, 2009
  9. Rats

    starlyte Guest

    On Oct 9, 1:05 pm, JohnO <> wrote:
    > On Oct 9, 11:27 am, starlyte <> wrote:

    > > > Damn, that's expensive. How come we have to pay $600 for Windows 7
    > > > Professional when it's available for $199 in the US? :-(

    > > here we go again.....
    > > How bout buying the OEM with a power cord:http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382325

    > Will the retailers allow it? Or do you have to buy a pc?

    I cant remember the websites, But i have read more then once...
    To buy OEM software, Say from an online computer shop, it can only be
    sold with hardware.. basically to show you are building a new machine.
    I believe a mouse is the minimum, But you can get away with smaller
    things like a power cord
    starlyte, Oct 9, 2009
  10. Rats

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 17:05:12 -0700 (PDT), JohnO <> wrote:

    >On Oct 9, 11:27 am, starlyte <> wrote:

    >> > Damn, that's expensive. How come we have to pay $600 for Windows 7
    >> > Professional when it's available for $199 in the US? :-(

    >> here we go again.....
    >> How bout buying the OEM with a power cord:http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382325

    >Will the retailers allow it? Or do you have to buy a pc?

    No a Large Boat..
    Mary Hanna, Oct 9, 2009
  11. Rats

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:23:28 -0700 (PDT), starlyte <> wrote:

    >On Oct 9, 1:05 pm, JohnO <> wrote:

    >> > here we go again.....
    >> > How bout buying the OEM with a power cord:http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382325

    >> Will the retailers allow it? Or do you have to buy a pc?

    >I cant remember the websites, But i have read more then once...
    >To buy OEM software, Say from an online computer shop, it can only be
    >sold with hardware.. basically to show you are building a new machine.
    >I believe a mouse is the minimum, But you can get away with smaller
    >things like a power cord

    The Poms got theirs for 1/2 price, they know that Kiwis are stupid and like
    paying high prices, its built into there blood.

    It comes under the Kiwi decease called complacence.
    Mary Hanna, Oct 9, 2009
  12. Rats

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 17:46:47 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Mary Hanna wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:23:28 -0700 (PDT), starlyte <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I cant remember the websites, But i have read more then once...
    >>>To buy OEM software, Say from an online computer shop, it can only be
    >>>sold with hardware.. basically to show you are building a new machine.
    >>>I believe a mouse is the minimum, But you can get away with smaller
    >>>things like a power cord

    >> The Poms got theirs for 1/2 price, they know that Kiwis are stupid and
    >> like paying high prices, its built into there blood.
    >>
    >> It comes under the Kiwi decease called complacence.

    >You have a choice to buy it or not buy it - no one is forcing you to.

    Do some thing about it just don't just lye down and let MS walk over you and
    rip you off.

    Set up a Partition sent it to the Commerce Commission, the Consumer dept,
    Consumer Mag, Parliament and you local MP, news paper ETC.

    If you do nothing, nothing will happen.
    Mary Hanna, Oct 9, 2009
  13. Rats

    Murray Symon Guest

    Mary Hanna wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 17:46:47 +1300, Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Mary Hanna wrote:

    >>> The Poms got theirs for 1/2 price, they know that Kiwis are stupid and
    >>> like paying high prices, its built into there blood.
    >>>
    >>> It comes under the Kiwi decease called complacence.

    >>You have a choice to buy it or not buy it - no one is forcing you to.

    > Do some thing about it just don't just lye down and let MS walk over you
    > and rip you off.
    >
    > Set up a Partition sent it to the Commerce Commission, the Consumer
    > dept, Consumer Mag, Parliament and you local MP, news paper ETC.
    >
    > If you do nothing, nothing will happen.

    Why is it a rip off? Who NEEDS to buy the new upgrade?
    Surely most people with Windows just get it for free with a new PC?
    Murray Symon, Oct 9, 2009
  14. Rats

    Enkidu Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:
    > Mary Hanna wrote:

    >>> You have a choice to buy it or not buy it - no one is forcing you to.

    >> Do some thing about it just don't just lye down and let MS walk over you
    >> and rip you off.
    >>
    >> Set up a Partition sent it to the Commerce Commission, the Consumer
    >> dept, Consumer Mag, Parliament and you local MP, news paper ETC.
    >>
    >> If you do nothing, nothing will happen.

    > Why is it a rip off? Who NEEDS to buy the new upgrade?
    > Surely most people with Windows just get it for free with a new PC?

    "For free"??

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 9, 2009
  15. Rats

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 20:00:42 +1300, Murray Symon wrote:

    > Why is it a rip off? Who NEEDS to buy the new upgrade? Surely most
    > people with Windows just get it for free with a new PC?

    Actually, that's not true. They PAY for it with a new PC.

    Carnations, Oct 9, 2009
  16. Rats

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 16:16:35 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Why does anything need to happen? You either accept the price and pay
    > it, or you don't accept the price and refuse to pay it. Where's the
    > issue here? It's not like you are forced to use this product.

    Actually, for all intents and purposes, you are - unless you purchase separate components and build
    the computer yourself!

    Not like you to complain about the lack of freedom in this area Alastar.

    Carnations, Oct 10, 2009
  17. Rats

    Max Burke Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Mary Hanna wrote:

    >>> You have a choice to buy it or not buy it - no one is forcing you to.

    >> Do some thing about it just don't just lye down and let MS walk over you
    >> and rip you off.
    >>
    >> Set up a Partition sent it to the Commerce Commission, the Consumer
    >> dept, Consumer Mag, Parliament and you local MP, news paper ETC.
    >>
    >> If you do nothing, nothing will happen.

    > Why does anything need to happen? You either accept the price and pay it, or
    > you don't accept the price and refuse to pay it. Where's the issue here?
    > It's not like you are forced to use this product.

    C'mon Alister!

    You know as well as I do that you have no choice as long as Microsoft
    continues to exist and forces us all to use Windows!

    We've all been told that numerous times in this newsgroup...

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Oct 10, 2009
  18. Rats

    trueone Guest

    "Max Burke" <> wrote in message
    > Allistar wrote:
    >> Mary Hanna wrote:

    >>> Do some thing about it just don't just lye down and let MS walk over you
    >>> and rip you off.
    >>>
    >>> Set up a Partition sent it to the Commerce Commission, the Consumer
    >>> dept, Consumer Mag, Parliament and you local MP, news paper ETC.
    >>>
    >>> If you do nothing, nothing will happen.

    >> Why does anything need to happen? You either accept the price and pay it,
    >> or
    >> you don't accept the price and refuse to pay it. Where's the issue here?
    >> It's not like you are forced to use this product.

    > C'mon Alister!
    >
    > You know as well as I do that you have no choice as long as Microsoft
    > continues to exist and forces us all to use Windows!
    >
    > We've all been told that numerous times in this newsgroup...

    Actually we do have a choice.

    1. stay with XP or Vista.
    2. Buy Windows 7
    3. Switch to Linux.
    4. Buy Apple.

    I will stay with windows vista for time being. Later probably go with
    windows 7. Tried Linux again but not easy yet to play blu ray movies
    trueone, Oct 10, 2009
  19. Rats

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 18:29:07 +1300, trueone wrote:

    > Tried Linux again but not easy yet to play blu ray movies

    Have you tried buying a licensed Bluray player?

    Carnations, Oct 10, 2009
  20. Rats

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:39:50 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> Actually, for all intents and purposes, you are - unless you purchase
    >> separate components and build the computer yourself!

    > How so? There are a number of online retailers that will sell a computer
    > with no OS installed on it.

    Retailer names and specific computer details (including URLs) please.

    Carnations, Oct 10, 2009