Windows 7 - No Sound

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Doogie, Feb 18, 2010.

  1. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    Not sure if this is the right group or not. Windows 7 was just put on
    my workstation...I have a Volume icon at the bottom screen that has an
    "x" next to it indicating it's not working. If I plug in USB
    headphones, the volume works fine. If I try to plug normal headphones
    into the computer, nothing happens and I have no sound.

    Can anyone tell me why?
    Doogie, Feb 18, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    On Feb 18, 1:19 pm, "David B." <> wrote:
    > Are you using Windows 7 64 bit? Are the audio drivers installed? Have you
    > tried a set of amplified speakers?
    >
    > --
    >
    > --"Doogie" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    >
    >
    >
    > > Not sure if this is the right group or not.  Windows 7 was just put on
    > > my workstation...I have a Volume icon at the bottom screen that has an
    > > "x" next to it indicating it's not working.  If I plug in USB
    > > headphones, the volume works fine.  If I try to plug normal headphones
    > > into the computer, nothing happens and I have no sound.

    >
    > > Can anyone tell me why?- Hide quoted text -

    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I'm not sure if I'm using 64 Bit, how do I determine that? (I thought
    I might be in the wrong group, but there's no "Windows 7" group out
    there that I can find. I also am not sure how to determine if the
    audio drivers are installed - but I do use the USB headphones with no
    problems, would that indicate they are? I have tried any speakers
    (it's a work computer).
    Doogie, Feb 18, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Doogie

    Tom Guest

    "Doogie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Feb 18, 1:19 pm, "David B." <> wrote:
    >> Are you using Windows 7 64 bit? Are the audio drivers installed? Have you
    >> tried a set of amplified speakers?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> --"Doogie" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> > Not sure if this is the right group or not. Windows 7 was just put on
    >> > my workstation...I have a Volume icon at the bottom screen that has an
    >> > "x" next to it indicating it's not working. If I plug in USB
    >> > headphones, the volume works fine. If I try to plug normal headphones
    >> > into the computer, nothing happens and I have no sound.

    >>
    >> > Can anyone tell me why?- Hide quoted text -

    >>
    >> - Show quoted text -

    >
    > I'm not sure if I'm using 64 Bit, how do I determine that? (I thought
    > I might be in the wrong group, but there's no "Windows 7" group out
    > there that I can find. I also am not sure how to determine if the
    > audio drivers are installed - but I do use the USB headphones with no
    > problems, would that indicate they are? I have tried any speakers
    > (it's a work computer).


    Right click on My Computer, choose properties and in the "system" section,
    it will say 64bit or 32bit. There's a chance you may have installed the
    drivers for the system that isn't the one you have, e.g., you installed
    32bit drivers on a 64bit system. Find which system you have, then uninstall
    everything related to your sound card. Best bet, is to go to the sound card
    manufacturer's site and download the whole software/driver package for you
    soundcard and install it there. Sometimes, though, it may require that you
    install the original software, but I rarely see this anymore.
    Tom, Feb 18, 2010
    #3
  4. Am 18.02.2010 22:49, schrieb Tom:
    >

    If you are at
    > Right click on My Computer, choose properties

    walk to the device manager and have a look wether there is a "?" at any
    device
    jk
    Juergen Kluth, Feb 18, 2010
    #4
  5. Doogie

    Tom Guest

    "Juergen Kluth" <karl@localhost> wrote in message
    news:#...
    > Am 18.02.2010 22:49, schrieb Tom:
    >>

    > If you are at
    > > Right click on My Computer, choose properties

    > walk to the device manager and have a look wether there is a "?" at any
    > device
    > jk



    If he has sound through his headset, then his device manager would show it
    being there. It would be best to uninstall everything and start over using
    only the latest compatible software and drivers that are almost always
    available form the manufacturer.
    Tom, Feb 19, 2010
    #5
  6. Doogie

    Katy Pluta Guest

    On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:10:53 -0800 (PST), Doogie <>
    wrote:

    >Not sure if this is the right group or not. Windows 7 was just put on
    >my workstation...I have a Volume icon at the bottom screen that has an
    >"x" next to it indicating it's not working. If I plug in USB
    >headphones, the volume works fine. If I try to plug normal headphones
    >into the computer, nothing happens and I have no sound.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me why?


    This means that there are no drivers installed for your computer sound
    card, the one which you plug the normal headphones in. The USB
    headphones are recognized separately so are working.

    Do you know what your sound card or motherboard are? You can usually
    find drivers on their manufacturers' web site...
    Katy Pluta, Feb 19, 2010
    #6
  7. Doogie

    Zaidy036 Guest

    In article <e5c3ba5f-36df-4acd-8810-83430d6c4581
    @d2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >

    <snip>
    >
    > I'm not sure if I'm using 64 Bit, how do I determine that? (I thought
    > I might be in the wrong group, but there's no "Windows 7" group out
    > there that I can find. I also am not sure how to determine if the
    > audio drivers are installed - but I do use the USB headphones with no
    > problems, would that indicate they are? I have tried any speakers
    > (it's a work computer).


    Look at alt.windows7.general
    Zaidy036, Feb 19, 2010
    #7
  8. Doogie

    Eric Allen Guest

    Zaidy036 wrote:
    > In article <e5c3ba5f-36df-4acd-8810-83430d6c4581
    > @d2g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, says...
    > <snip>
    >> I'm not sure if I'm using 64 Bit, how do I determine that? (I thought
    >> I might be in the wrong group, but there's no "Windows 7" group out
    >> there that I can find. I also am not sure how to determine if the
    >> audio drivers are installed - but I do use the USB headphones with no
    >> problems, would that indicate they are? I have tried any speakers
    >> (it's a work computer).

    >
    > Look at alt.windows7.general
    >

    or alt.os.windows-7

    --
    --
    Eric
    Eric Allen, Feb 19, 2010
    #8
  9. Where is this alt.os.windows-7?

    When I search the internet there are lot of references, but of the ones
    I checked none actually took you to the forum.

    On 2010-02-19 15:24, Eric Allen wrote:

    > or alt.os.windows-7
    >
    Bobby Johnson, Feb 19, 2010
    #9
  10. Doogie

    Eric Allen Guest

    Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > Where is this alt.os.windows-7?
    >
    > When I search the internet there are lot of references, but of the ones
    > I checked none actually took you to the forum.
    >
    > On 2010-02-19 15:24, Eric Allen wrote:
    >
    >> or alt.os.windows-7
    >>

    aioe.org

    --
    --
    Eric
    Eric Allen, Feb 19, 2010
    #10
  11. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    On Feb 19, 3:30 pm, Eric Allen <> wrote:
    > Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > > Where is this alt.os.windows-7?

    >
    > > When I search the internet there are lot of references, but of the ones
    > > I checked none actually took you to the forum.

    >
    > > On 2010-02-19 15:24, Eric Allen wrote:

    >
    > >> or alt.os.windows-7

    >
    > aioe.org
    >
    > --
    > --
    > Eric


    I deleted all the sound devices I had and rebooted - then the computer
    picked them back up. This had no effect. The volume icon at the
    bottom right corner of my screen - whch has a red X next says this
    when I put my cursor over it - "No speakers or headphones are plugged
    in". Does this mean that the sound in this new operating system
    simply won't work unless I have speakers or headphones in (and in this
    case, the headphones need to be USB based)?
    Doogie, Feb 24, 2010
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?VGFueWE=?=
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    918
    Yoshi
    Oct 26, 2003
  2. Matthew Morrison

    Geforce 4 MX 440 Sound Prob (thats right, sound)

    Matthew Morrison, Jul 27, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    541
    JabberSmith
    Jul 29, 2003
  3. John E

    Mobo On-Board Sound + PCI Sound Card?

    John E, Nov 29, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    24
    Views:
    6,891
    thesodakid
    Oct 1, 2007
  4. John
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    4,135
    Toolman Tim
    May 7, 2004
  5. Marco Bakker

    Sound card problem : Creative sound blaster live

    Marco Bakker, Aug 29, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,008
    °Mike°
    Aug 29, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page