    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 9, 2010

  2. Because the aspect ratio is different, the answer is no. You can't set
    separate ones, and you can't set it to size based on the secondary monitor.
    This is why you get a black area.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 9, 2010

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Tom Guest

    > I am using Windows 7 with a multi-monitor setup. I have the presentation
    > display mode set to Extend, and am using the background from the Windows 7
    > Aero theme. Because my secondary monitor has a slightly different width to
    > height ratio (My primary monitor is 1440 x 900 and my secondary monitor is
    > 1280 x 1024), my secondary monitor has a little bit of black area above
    > and below the background. Even though I can use this black area just like
    > any other area on the monitor, I would like to have the background cover
    > the whole thing. I have selected Fill as the Picture Position, which does
    > what I want and expect on my primary monitor, but not on my secondary
    > monitor. Is there any way (without using third-party software) to make it
    > fill my secondary monitor, or to set the desktop background for the
    > primary and secondary monitors separately? Thanks.
    > --
    > Nathan Sokalski
    >
    > http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    As far as I know, this can only be achieved if you have two video cards that
    are operating separately. For example two cards not set to Crossfire mode
    (ATI cards) or SLI mode (Nvidia cards). Otherwise, this is not possible with
    a single video card set-up.

    Tom, Feb 9, 2010
  4. I had considered tiling, but that would not be appropriate for images that
    take up the entire (or at least most of) the screen. When I had XP about a
    month ago, there was an image that I used tiled for my Desktop background,
    but I felt like changing it since I had had the same background for 5 or 6
    years. But that's just a personal preference thing, I'm more interested in
    knowing how to do things, regardless of whether I will actually be doing
    them or not. But it is definitely a logical suggestion, thanks.

    Nathan Sokalski, Feb 16, 2010
  5. Take a look at the utility mentioned @
    http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=73

    UltraMon is a utility for multi-monitor systems, designed to increase
    productivity and unlock the full potential of multiple monitors.

    *
    Window management
    Quickly move windows between monitors or maximize a window to the
    desktop using the additional window buttons.
    *
    Smart Taskbar
    An additional taskbar is added to each secondary monitor, and
    each taskbar only shows tasks from the monitor it is on. This makes
    managing lots of open applications much easier, and when activating an
    application, you'll know on which monitor it will appear.
    *
    Application positioning
    Use the shortcut extension to set an application's position or
    use custom display settings when the application is running. To
    configure custom settings, right-click the shortcut and select
    Properties from the menu.
    *
    Display profiles
    With display profiles, you can quickly change the settings of one
    or more monitors. You can also create a display profile that gets
    applied when logging in, especially useful when the computer is used by
    more than one person, and not everyone wants to use the same display
    settings.
    *
    Desktop wallpaper
    The wallpaper manager adds the ability to use a different picture
    on each monitor, or stretch a single picture across the desktop.
    *
    Screen savers
    Most screen savers only run on the primary monitor. The screen
    saver manager can blank the secondary monitors when the screen saver is
    running, or run additional screen savers on secondary monitors.
    *
    Mirroring
    Mirror the primary monitor on one or more secondary monitors, for
    example when doing a presentation. A unique feature is support for
    different resolutions, the primary monitor can run at a higher
    resolution for example.

    Bobby Johnson, Feb 16, 2010