    E. Scrooge Guest

    Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Re: Dimdows 7 might well be released before 2010

    In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    > Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

    Says who?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008

  3. E. Scrooge

    Ross Guest

    On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 20:38:15 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I wonder what it will be based on?
    Maybe a massively upgraded WINE running on Debian? ;-)
    Ross, Feb 22, 2008
  4. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >
    >> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

    > Says who?

    Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so and
    so release date"?

    Just grab the nearest blind dog to help you out.

    You better start finding the dirt now as you're already well and truly late
    out of the starting blocks while you stuff round searching for all you can
    on Vista from a few suspect websites.

    You might as well not fucking bother, since all your crap on the Asus EEE
    doesn't give any real indicvation on what a great little PC it is and just
    what it's capable of doing.
    Must admit I didn't think much of them as being much more than PC toys with
    limited use.

    God knows if you've actually used one or even seen any up close in action.
    I got to see 2 of them. The definition of the little 7 inch screens is
    pretty impressive, much better than some HP LCD larger monitors I've seen.
    I've seen them on the Net, connected through a wireless connection and using
    Skype with DSE phone handsets plugged into their USB ports. These little
    buggers were multi tasking for over 2 hours without slowing down. A radio
    station streamed through one of them, with the guy who works at the radio
    station a bit surprised that the stream from the Net broadcast was a couple
    of seconds ahead of the radio in the kitchen.
    Both little PCs were of course running Linux.
    What was stopping you from giving some kind of description on what the EEEs
    can do?
    Too busy worrying your little head over Microsoft instead.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008
  5. Re: Dimdows 7 might well be released before 2010

    In article <1203668512.680528@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.

    >> Says who?

    > Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so
    > and so release date"?

    You're the one who made the claim, you back it up.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008
  6. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <1203668512.680528@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >>> In article <1203665484.997285@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >>> Says who?

    >> Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so
    >> and so release date"?

    > You're the one who made the claim, you back it up.

    It's on that many websites. I've told you how you can search some out for
    yourself. Don't worry about checking the bias crap Register website either.
    "So and so release date" hit search. Even you can work that one out.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008
  7. E. Scrooge

    Puddle Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Yep looking like 2009 now, will be interesting to see what it is like.
    Puddle, Feb 22, 2008
  8. E. Scrooge

    impossible Guest

    > Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
    repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your source
    of information would be helpful.
    impossible, Feb 22, 2008
  9. E. Scrooge

    Puddle Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
    > repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your source
    > of information would be helpful.

    The biggest source seems to be from TG Daily who received a roadmap with
    a RTM in H2 of 2009 as I am sure you are already aware anyway.
    Microsoft didn't want to comment on the dates in that roadmap.
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35641/118/

    It is only a few months forward anyway isn't it?

    I hope they release it when it is ready and not because they set some
    date in a roadmap though I am sure they are under a bit of pressure to
    get a new OS out because of the lack of excitement over Vista.
    Puddle, Feb 22, 2008
  10. E. Scrooge

    impossible Guest

    "Puddle" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
    >> repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your
    >> source of information would be helpful.

    > The biggest source seems to be from TG Daily who received a roadmap with a
    > RTM in H2 of 2009 as I am sure you are already aware anyway. Microsoft
    > didn't want to comment on the dates in that roadmap.
    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/35641/118/
    >
    > It is only a few months forward anyway isn't it?
    >
    > I hope they release it when it is ready and not because they set some date
    > in a roadmap though I am sure they are under a bit of pressure to get a
    > new OS out because of the lack of excitement over Vista.

    Thanks for that. I think the pressure on Microsoft isn't so much the lack of
    excitement over Vista , because with 100 million oem Vista boxes going out
    the door in the first year, there's plenty of ka-ching! to go around. It's
    more that **someone** is going to actually make an os breakthrough one of
    these days that opens a whole new way of thinking about personal and
    business computing, and Microsoft (like every other firm in this business)
    would like to be leading that transformation rather than playing catch-up.
    Both Windows and Linux are stuck right now in the 90s model, and with the
    release of Vista and all the latest nix competitors it's pretty clear (to
    me, at least) that the string has run out. Incremental improvemn t is all we
    ever see now. If the operating system that runs the most popular desktop
    software products can't deliver any substantively new functionality at this
    point in time, then it's time to move on. All the talk about "Windows 7" is
    that it aims to take some significant step in the direction of fundamentally
    improving the way people access and work with information -- we'll see.
    Google is perhaps the closest right now to developing thje kind of
    breakthrough I'm thinking of, and I think Microsoft is **very** concerned
    about that -- hence the move to snatch Yahoo's network presence and
    resources in order to transform Microsfot into a next-gen services-oriented
    firm, and hence also the move to license its grip on intellectual property
    that is almost certainly on the verge of becoming obsolete (think 10+ years
    down the road). Anyway, just my 2-cents -- again, thanks for the reference.
    impossible, Feb 22, 2008
  11. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
    > repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your
    > source of information would be helpful.

    Too bad you're not on the actual net to see for yourself - how sad but never
    mind.

    Obviously info has drifted out from Microsoft.

    You've never seen the info in that the task managers of XP and Vista have to
    offer, which reveals why Vista is as slow as it is needing lots of RAM to
    get up to a reasonable speed.

    Most users will just want the basics - surfing the Net - emails - and be
    able to bugger round with their photos. Plus a bit more some cases and a
    bit less in others.

    The success of XP speaks for itself since it's still available in some new
    PCs during 2008 while Vista is going to have an even much shorter miserable
    life than expected.

    Vista PCs aren't selling as expected. There's bigger discounts with more
    cash redemptions than there ever has been before, and Vista is an expensive
    OS or at least was when it was released.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008
  12. E. Scrooge

    impossible Guest

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>> Looks like the replacement for Vista (buggered) is being moved forward.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge

    >> Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
    >> repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your
    >> source of information would be helpful.

    > Too bad you're not on the actual net to see for yourself - how sad but
    > never mind.

    Copy the link where you source your information, then paste that link in
    your message for the convenience of others. Is that too much to ask?
    Otherwise, I can only assume you're just telling tales.
    impossible, Feb 22, 2008
  13. E. Scrooge

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >>> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >>> Are you saying this based on a statement by Microsoft? Or are you just
    >>> repeating some uninformed blogger's speculation. A reference tor your
    >>> source of information would be helpful.

    >> Too bad you're not on the actual net to see for yourself - how sad but
    >> never mind.
    >>

    > Copy the link where you source your information, then paste that link in
    > your message for the convenience of others. Is that too much to ask?
    > Otherwise, I can only assume you're just telling tales.

    Google is full of them. Just throw a dart at a few of them, and ignore the
    blogs like I did.

    If you're taken out to dinner do people have to order your food for you and
    teach you how to use a knife and fork first?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008
  14. Re: Dimdows 7 might well be released before 2010

    In article <1203674939.187068@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> In article <1203668512.680528@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message news:fplupe$e3j$...

    >>> Can't you type into Google or whatever you use Linux to search with "so
    >>> and so release date"?

    >> You're the one who made the claim, you back it up.

    > It's on that many websites.

    All that's on many websites is rumours and unofficial hints that Microsoft
    might be planning to get Dimdows 7 out by a certain date. Doesn't mean it
    _will_ be out by that date--especially not if past history is anything to
    go by.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008
  15. In article <1203712776.586602@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    > You've never seen the info in that the task managers of XP and Vista have
    > to offer, which reveals why Vista is as slow as it is needing lots of RAM
    > to get up to a reasonable speed.
    >
    > Most users will just want the basics - surfing the Net - emails - and be
    > able to bugger round with their photos. Plus a bit more some cases and a
    > bit less in others.

    So what are you saying--will Dimdows 7 actually have *less* features than
    Vista?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008
  16. E. Scrooge

    impossible Guest

    > "impossible" <> wrote in message
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "impossible" <> wrote in message

    >>> Too bad you're not on the actual net to see for yourself - how sad but
    >>> never mind.
    >>>

    >> Copy the link where you source your information, then paste that link in
    >> your message for the convenience of others. Is that too much to ask?
    >> Otherwise, I can only assume you're just telling tales.

    > Google is full of them. Just throw a dart at a few of them, and ignore
    > the blogs like I did.

    Just plain stubborn, aren't you? Piss off.
    impossible, Feb 22, 2008
  17. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <1203712776.586602@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >
    >> You've never seen the info in that the task managers of XP and Vista have
    >> to offer, which reveals why Vista is as slow as it is needing lots of RAM
    >> to get up to a reasonable speed.
    >>
    >> Most users will just want the basics - surfing the Net - emails - and be
    >> able to bugger round with their photos. Plus a bit more some cases and a
    >> bit less in others.

    > So what are you saying--will Dimdows 7 actually have *less* features than
    > Vista?

    In fact compared to XP - Vista - Apple & Linux, "Dimbows 7" won't have any
    features at all. The good news for you is that something which has no
    features at all should suit you right down to the ground.

    However Windows 7 will have many features, of course they'd be a complete
    waste of time for those that do no more than sit round moaning day in and
    day out.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008
  18. E. Scrooge

    Puddle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <1203712776.586602@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >
    >> You've never seen the info in that the task managers of XP and Vista have
    >> to offer, which reveals why Vista is as slow as it is needing lots of RAM
    >> to get up to a reasonable speed.
    >>
    >> Most users will just want the basics - surfing the Net - emails - and be
    >> able to bugger round with their photos. Plus a bit more some cases and a
    >> bit less in others.

    > So what are you saying--will Dimdows 7 actually have *less* features than
    > Vista?

    Seriously, isn't it time to grow up just a little?
    Puddle, Feb 22, 2008
  19. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <1203674939.187068@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >>> In article <1203668512.680528@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >>> You're the one who made the claim, you back it up.

    >> It's on that many websites.

    > All that's on many websites is rumours and unofficial hints that Microsoft
    > might be planning to get Dimdows 7 out by a certain date. Doesn't mean it
    > _will_ be out by that date--especially not if past history is anything to
    > go by.

    Yet some info about Windows 7 could've only been leaked out by Microsoft.

    At least you've learnt how to spell "Microsoft" and that is no rumour.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Feb 22, 2008
  20. In article <1203721780.536279@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:

    >> In article <1203712776.586602@ftpsrv1>, *sling did write:
    >>
    >>> You've never seen the info in that the task managers of XP and Vista
    >>> have to offer, which reveals why Vista is as slow as it is needing lots
    >>> of RAM to get up to a reasonable speed.
    >>>
    >>> Most users will just want the basics - surfing the Net - emails - and be
    >>> able to bugger round with their photos. Plus a bit more some cases and
    >>> a bit less in others.

    >> So what are you saying--will Dimdows 7 actually have *less* features than
    >> Vista?

    > In fact compared to XP - Vista - Apple & Linux, "Dimbows 7" won't have any
    > features at all.

    Then what will be its selling points? How will Microsoft persuade customers
    to shell out good money for it?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 22, 2008