Windows 7 & MapPoint 2009 failure to run

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Stan Kay, Sep 7, 2009.

  1. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    I have run Vista Ultimate 64 bit for some time now and MapPoint 2009 ran
    without a hitch. I recently installed my MSDN final release version of
    Windows 7 Professional and have successfully installed MapPoint 2009.
    However, when I try to run the program nothing happens. I have tried the
    following:-

    1. I ran the program as Administrator but then get the message "you
    registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. To
    correct these settings, run Setup again for this application from the
    location where you originally installed it". I tried this but got the same
    result.

    2. I have tried Windows 7 compatibility mode for all versions of XP and
    Vista but to no avail.

    3. I have tried an old XP solution of deleting temporary files before
    re-installing but again I get the same result.

    Windows Event Viewer tells me that MapPoint 2009 is incompatible. Can this
    really be true or is there an answer to this problem?

    Can anyone please offer a solution?

    Stan Kay, Sep 7, 2009

  2. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on another
    PC:-

    1. I reformatted the hard drive.
    2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
    4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
    5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
    version not a RC)
    6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the same
    error message as before.

    I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
    between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft and
    await a response.

    Stan Kay, Sep 26, 2009

  3. There are quite a number of programs that have problems in Win 7 RTM.
    Microsoft made some interface & reporting changes in the RTM that
    require program updates.

    I am using Vipre anti-malware and Active Protection could not be invoke
    until Sunbelt Software published an update to correct this. I was
    really surprised at how quickly Sunbelt corrected the problem. They had
    a fully functional update in about a week after Microsoft released the
    RTM to MSDN & TechNet.

    Acronis also published an update recently for Win 7 compatible and also
    PerfectDisk. I think most of these programs that have problems in Win 7
    RTM will be updated by official release date of October 22nd.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 26, 2009
  4. "Stan Kay" <> wrote in message
    > To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on another
    > PC:-
    >
    > 1. I reformatted the hard drive.
    > 2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    > 3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
    > 4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
    > 5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
    > version not a RC)
    > 6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the same
    > error message as before.
    >
    > I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
    > between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft
    > and
    > await a response.

    I had been running Map Point 2009 ever since the first beta and then on the
    RTM. Never had a problem. I just installed Map Point 2010 a couple of weeks
    back. No problem with that either.

    The compatibility issue must be in your system configuration.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Sep 26, 2009
  5. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    In the last few days I have updated my versions of Acronis, Perfect Disk
    and Directory Opus so I hope the MS also issue a fix for MapPoint 2009.

    Many thanks for the heads up with the changes that MS made to to the RTM. I
    thought something must have changed because MapPoint 2009 worked properly
    with Windows 7 RC.

    Stan Kay, Sep 26, 2009
  6. Stan Kay

    Robert Wolfe Guest

    Stan Kay wrote:

    > I have run Vista Ultimate 64 bit for some time now and MapPoint 2009 ran
    > without a hitch. I recently installed my MSDN final release version of
    > Windows 7 Professional and have successfully installed MapPoint 2009.
    > However, when I try to run the program nothing happens. I have tried the
    > following:-
    >
    > 1. I ran the program as Administrator but then get the message "you
    > registry settings for this application were not copied correctly. To
    > correct these settings, run Setup again for this application from the
    > location where you originally installed it". I tried this but got the same
    > result.
    >
    > 2. I have tried Windows 7 compatibility mode for all versions of XP and
    > Vista but to no avail.
    >
    > 3. I have tried an old XP solution of deleting temporary files before
    > re-installing but again I get the same result.
    >
    > Windows Event Viewer tells me that MapPoint 2009 is incompatible. Can this
    > really be true or is there an answer to this problem?
    >
    > Can anyone please offer a solution?

    Stan, have you tried running/installing the program in Windows XP Mode?

    Robert Wolfe, Sep 26, 2009
  7. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Hi Robert,

    You will see from item 2 that I have tried that and it did not work.

    Stan Kay, Sep 27, 2009
  8. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Hi Richard,

    If configuration is the problem then it is with two PC's. My current
    primary PC and the one that I formatted and loaded solely for the purpose of
    testing MapPoint 2009.

    Have you any ideas what I might alter to make it work?

    Stan Kay, Sep 27, 2009
  9. "Stan Kay" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > If configuration is the problem then it is with two PC's. My current
    > primary PC and the one that I formatted and loaded solely for the purpose
    > of testing MapPoint 2009.
    >
    > Have you any ideas what I might alter to make it work?
    >
    > "Richard Urban" <> wrote in message
    >> "Stan Kay" <> wrote in message
    >>> To gain some facts about this issue I have performed two tests on
    >>> another
    >>> PC:-
    >>>
    >>> 1. I reformatted the hard drive.
    >>> 2. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
    >>> 3. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it worked without a problem.
    >>> 4. I reformatted the hard drive again.
    >>> 5. I did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (the final MSDN
    >>> version not a RC)
    >>> 6. I then installed MapPoint 2009 and it failed to work and gave the
    >>> same
    >>> error message as before.
    >>>
    >>> I think that this proves conclusively that there is an incompatibility
    >>> between Windows 7 and MapPoint 2009. I have reported this to Microsoft
    >>> and
    >>> await a response.
    >>>

    >> I had been running Map Point 2009 ever since the first beta and then on
    >> the RTM. Never had a problem. I just installed Map Point 2010 a couple of
    >> weeks back. No problem with that either.
    >>
    >> The compatibility issue must be in your system configuration.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Richard Urban
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows Desktop Experience

    Not saying you did this but "Is This A legal Copy"? Or did you obtain it
    through nefarious means?

    If you downloaded it, do so again - from wherever you obtained it as you may
    have a bad download.

    Richard Urban, Sep 27, 2009
  10. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Hi Richard,

    MapPoint 2009 is a download from MSDN subscription and is perfectly legal.
    I have downloaded it again but with the same result. However, you will see
    from earlier in this thread that it has worked with Windows Vista Ultimate
    64 bit for about a year now and worked with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit beta
    and RC but it does not work with the full release of Windows 7 Ultimate 64
    bit (also from MSDN). I have reported the matter to MS and await a response
    but I continue to try to get to the bottom of the problem.

    Nevertheless, many thanks for trying.

    Stan Kay, Sep 27, 2009
  11. Stan Kay

    Stan Kay Guest

    Hi Richard,

    I have been given this advice from MS:-

    "If your registry settings for this application were not copied correctly
    then 9 times out of 10 this
    is a permissions issue.

    Instead of double-clicking on the setup.exe to install - try right-clicking
    to install and after installation choose the "run as administrator" option.
    Also, some anti-virus programs can interfere with the installation."

    I have now followed all three parts of this advice and am delighted to
    report that it works.

    Stan Kay, Sep 27, 2009