    why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all these
    years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose to be
    using" for Win 7?

    don, Nov 12, 2010

  2. don

    Sunny Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message
    news:ibi4fd$b66$...
    >I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express
    >built into it...... would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded
    >it....

    NO

    > why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all these
    > years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose to
    > be using" for Win 7?

    Google for the ones to try

    Sunny, Nov 12, 2010

  3. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:15:37 -0500, don wrote:

    > I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express
    > built into it...... would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded it....
    > why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all these
    > years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose to be
    > using" for Win 7?

    Vista came with "windows mail" and Windows 7 now has "Windows live mail".
    Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes packaged
    with earlier versions of IE.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  4. don

    Peter Foldes Guest

    "don" <> wrote in message news:ibi4fd$b66$...
    >I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express built into
    >it...... would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded it.... why did Microsoft
    >do away with a built in mail program after all these years.... whats the
    >advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose to be using" for Win 7?

    Don

    Microsoft Outlook will and does work with Windows 7.

    Outlook Express does not . But there is a way to make(Outlook Express) it work with
    Win 7 installed

    To make Outlook Express work with Win 7 installed see the link below

    How to use OE in Windows 7
    http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

    --
    Peter
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Peter Foldes, Nov 12, 2010
  5. don

    don Guest

    "Peter Foldes" <> wrote in message
    > "don" <> wrote in message
    >>I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express
    >>built into it...... would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded
    >>it.... why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all
    >>these years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose
    >>to be using" for Win 7?

    > Don
    >
    > Microsoft Outlook will and does work with Windows 7.
    >
    > Outlook Express does not . But there is a way to make(Outlook Express) it
    > work with Win 7 installed
    >
    > To make Outlook Express work with Win 7 installed see the link below
    >
    > How to use OE in Windows 7
    > http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

    thanks, because i really don't want to switch my mail programs after using
    them all these years

    don, Nov 12, 2010
  6. richard the st00pid wrote:

    > Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes
    > packaged with earlier versions of IE.

    Does this mean .. does it really mean .... that OE uses IE to display
    HTML messages? Was that your admission?

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 12, 2010
  7. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:22:17 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard the st00pid wrote:
    >
    >> Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes
    >> packaged with earlier versions of IE.

    > Does this mean .. does it really mean .... that OE uses IE to display
    > HTML messages? Was that your admission?

    no dumbass. The only way you can get OE is to install IE 6 or earlier.
    Or whichever version of IE was on XP.
    Some sites may claim they have a stand alone version of OE, but I've never
    had the need for one. So I don't kow if that would work or not.

    Challenge: Show me a photo of OE messages opening in a browser.
    From within OE. Do not extract the messages and open independently.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  8. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:22:17 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard the st00pid wrote:
    >
    >> Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes
    >> packaged with earlier versions of IE.

    > Does this mean .. does it really mean .... that OE uses IE to display
    > HTML messages? Was that your admission?

    Does 40tude dialog use your browser to open posts sent in html?

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  9. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 21:48:39 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:24:52 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Does 40tude dialog use your browser to open posts sent in html?

    > What does that have to do with Outlook Express?

    his claim is that OE does not understand html so it opens emails in IE.
    in the same respect, 40tude is also an email client and it certainly
    handles html just fine. I guess he feels that only a web browser knows how
    to decode html.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  10. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:16:24 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:08:53 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>his claim is that OE does not understand html so it opens emails in IE.
    >>in the same respect, 40tude is also an email client and it certainly
    >>handles html just fine. I guess he feels that only a web browser knows how
    >>to decode html.

    > No, his claim, which is correct, is OE uses IE to render HTML.
    >
    > Your claim is you can install Windows Mail on XP.
    >
    > Still waiting to hear about that one.

    Twisted words once again.
    I said you need "windows mail" or "windows live mail" to open .eml files
    with. I said nothing of installing either on XP.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  11. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 19:22:07 -0700, richard wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:15:37 -0500, don wrote:
    >
    >> I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express
    >> built into it...... would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded it....
    >> why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all these
    >> years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose to be
    >> using" for Win 7?

    > Vista came with "windows mail" and Windows 7 now has "Windows live mail".
    > Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes packaged
    > with earlier versions of IE.

    Hey evan, you bitch slapped dickhead, where do I state the OP needs WM?
    WM is part of the Vista OS. It cannot be installed elsewhere.
    WLM can be.
    Again, you take the words and twist them around to suit your needs.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  12. don

    VanguardLH Guest

    don wrote:

    > I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express
    > built into it......

    When it was supported, OE came bundled with IE. OE has long been
    unsupported. It is a dead program. The last program updates were back
    in 2002 with one later functional change in SP-2 for Windows XP to add
    registry hacks for top/bottom-posting and signature placement. The
    development team was disbanded in 2006. You cannot get OE separately
    from IE. They came bundled together. As of IE7 and later, OE is no
    longer bundled with IE. IE6 was the last version that bundled OE with
    it. Microsoft isn't going to bundle unsupported products with supported
    products.

    Windows XP comes with IE6 as its baseline version hence why OE is
    available. Vista comes with IE7 and Windows 7 comes with IE8 as their
    baseline versions of that web browser. You cannot install earlier
    versions of IE on those Windows platforms.

    You could run VirtualPC, VMWare Server, VirtualBox, or other virtual
    machine managers (VMMs) on Vista and then install a pre-Vista version of
    Windows in a virtual machine (VM) to have OE running inside that virtual
    machine. That requires installing the VMM, installing pre-Vista Windows
    in a virtual machine (VM), and then load that VM when you want to run
    OE. According to Microsoft's EULAs, you will need another license of
    Windows to run it inside a VM. That is a lot of work and nuisance to
    run a long-dead e-mail client.

    For Windows 7 (Professional and Ultimate editions), a license of Windows
    XP SP-3 is included called XP Mode. If you install XP Mode and then
    Windows VirtualPC (WVPC), you will have Windows XP available as a guest
    OS running inside a virtual machine. Windows XP comes with IE6 so OE6
    will be available; see http://preview.tinyurl.com/Win7xpmode-IE6OE6.

    Note: Windows 7's XP Mode had required the CPU to support hardware-
    assisted virtualization (http://preview.tinyurl.com/wiki-CPUvm).
    Microsoft removed this limitation and now permits software-based
    virtualization (http://preview.tinyurl.com/XPmode-noHdweReq). Some
    VMMs will run faster using their own software code than the
    virtualization extensions added to the CPU (e.g., VirtualBox);
    however, VirtualPC 2007 is not so blessed. A guest OS running in a
    VM is significantly slower than the host OS. Software-based VMs
    are slower than hardware-assisted VMs.

    Windows Mail (WM) is the e-mail client included in Windows Vista.
    Windows *Live* Mail (WLM) is the replacement for both OE and WM.
    Windows 7 does not come with an e-mail client pre-installed so you will
    have to install one.

    For WLM:
    http://download.live.com

    After installing just WLM, go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the
    unwanted extra fluff software that Microsoft pushes onto you, like the
    SignOn Assistant. While WLM is reminiscent of OE, it has some
    functional differences. For help, the WLM newsgroup is at:

    microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

    There are plenty of other e-mail clients available, some of which are
    free, like Thunderbird (and a derivative called Sunbird), or PIM
    programs that have an e-mail functions, like EssentialPIM. You'll have
    to decide what e-mail client you want to use under Windows 7 since that
    OS doesn't include one.

    > would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded it....

    Outlook (as you said)? Or Outlook EXPRESS (and you started discussing)?
    You can't get OE on Win7 unless you use the trick described above for
    using XP Mode in Win7. Outlook *should* run okay on Win7. Check the
    microsoft.public.outlook.general newsgroup as I recall pre-2007 versions
    may have some behavioral artifacts; i.e., they aren't completely
    functional - the folks in the Outlook newsgroup would know. Or ask in
    the Win7 group/forum to see which versions of Outlook run okay under
    that OS.

    Windows 7 newsgroup: alt.windows7.general

    Microsoft's web-based forums for Windows 7:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro

    > why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all these
    > years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose to be
    > using" for Win 7?

    You get to pick your own for Win7. Microsoft's free choice is Windows
    Live Mail (see the microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop group for
    help). Their payware choice is Outlook but might require you get 2003
    or 2007 versions. Note that the 2007 version will force you to use Word
    even if you buy the standalone Outlook 2007 edition (a stub of Word is
    included and you are forced to use it as the e-mail editor when
    composing a new or reply e-mail). Or go hunting for some 3rd party
    freeware or payware e-mail client, like Thunderbird. Essential PIM has
    its own e-mail feature inside a PIM that is somewhat similar to Outlook.
    Outlook is good but often far exceeds the needs or expertise of its
    users, and it definitely costs a chunk of change out of your pocket.

    VanguardLH, Nov 12, 2010
  13. don

    richard Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:11:55 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:51:09 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hey evan, you bitch slapped dickhead, where do I state the OP needs WM?

    > ".EML files should be opened with either "Windows mail" or "windows
    > live mail" depending on which you have."

    How does this bolster your claim? The word "need" is your writing, not
    mine.

    >>WM is part of the Vista OS. It cannot be installed elsewhere.

    > No shit.
    >
    >>WLM can be.Again, you take the words and twist them around to suit your needs.

    > I took the words you said and made you look like an idiot, which you
    > are.

    And twisted them around to mean something else.

    > Don't be angry at everyone else because you're the product of
    > inbreeding. It's not our fault you're inbred and the reason pregnant
    > women shouldn't do alcohol or drugs.

    Proof you have? Neither of my parents were related by blood in any way.

    richard, Nov 12, 2010
  14. don

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 12/11/2010 08:21, richard wrote:
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:11:55 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:51:09 -0700, richard<>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hey evan, you bitch slapped dickhead, where do I state the OP needs WM?

    >> ".EML files should be opened with either "Windows mail" or "windows
    >> live mail" depending on which you have."

    > How does this bolster your claim? The word "need" is your writing, not
    > mine.
    >

    >>> WM is part of the Vista OS. It cannot be installed elsewhere.

    >> No shit.
    >>
    >>> WLM can be.Again, you take the words and twist them around to suit your needs.

    >> I took the words you said and made you look like an idiot, which you
    >> are.

    > And twisted them around to mean something else.
    >

    >> Don't be angry at everyone else because you're the product of
    >> inbreeding. It's not our fault you're inbred and the reason pregnant
    >> women shouldn't do alcohol or drugs.

    > Proof you have? Neither of my parents were related by blood in any way.

    Hello Yoda! How doing are you!

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 12, 2010
  15. don

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 12/11/2010 03:30, don wrote:
    > "Peter Foldes"<> wrote in message
    >> "don"<> wrote in message
    >>> I noticed on my friends new PC that Win 7 no longer has Outllok Express
    >>> built into it...... would Microsoft Outlook work in Win 7 if I loaded
    >>> it.... why did Microsoft do away with a built in mail program after all
    >>> these years.... whats the advantage.... what mail programs are we "suppose
    >>> to be using" for Win 7?

    >> Don
    >>
    >> Microsoft Outlook will and does work with Windows 7.
    >>
    >> Outlook Express does not . But there is a way to make(Outlook Express) it
    >> work with Win 7 installed
    >>
    >> To make Outlook Express work with Win 7 installed see the link below
    >>
    >> How to use OE in Windows 7
    >> http://www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx

    > thanks, because i really don't want to switch my mail programs after using
    > them all these years

    Go on, be adventurous! Try Thunderbird, you might find it to be more up
    to date and current than a dead in the water no longer supported program.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 12, 2010
  16. "Resistance is futile!"

    richard the st00pid wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard the st00pid wrote:
    >>> Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes
    >>> packaged with earlier versions of IE.

    >> Does this mean .. does it really mean .... that OE uses IE to
    >> display HTML messages? Was that your admission?

    > no dumbass. The only way you can get OE is to install IE 6 or
    > earlier. Or whichever version of IE was on XP.

    Nobody is disputing "how you get OE." Except maybe you.

    > Some sites may claim they have a stand alone version of OE, but I've
    > never had the need for one. So I don't kow if that would work or not.
    >
    > Challenge: Show me a photo of OE messages opening in a browser.

    You still fail to understand. OE does not open messages *in* a browser
    window. Any browser. It uses the underlying IE HTML engine to display
    HTML messages within its own windows.

    > From within OE. Do not extract the messages and open independently.

    Challenge: Show a reputable reference that states OE has its own
    independent HTML engine.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 12, 2010
  17. richard the st00pid wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard the st00pid wrote:
    >>> Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes
    >>> packaged with earlier versions of IE.

    >> Does this mean .. does it really mean .... that OE uses IE to
    >> display HTML messages? Was that your admission?

    > Does 40tude dialog use your browser to open posts sent in html?

    Quit trying to subvert the subject.

    Unlike OE, the 40tude Dialog newsreader (and email-capable) program has
    its own internal HTML engine. As does Thunderbird and many other email
    programs, which all display HTML messages in their own windows with
    their own engines.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 12, 2010
  18. richard the st00pid wrote:

    > Evan Platt wrote:
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>> Does 40tude dialog use your browser to open posts sent in html?

    >> What does that have to do with Outlook Express?

    > his claim is that OE does not understand html so it opens emails in
    > IE.

    "opens emails with the IE engine."

    > in the same respect, 40tude is also an email client and it certainly
    > handles html just fine. I guess he feels that only a web browser
    > knows how to decode html.

    You attempt to twist words to mean something else, but all you do is
    make yourself look even more st00pid than you are.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 12, 2010
  19. richard <> frothed this drivel onto the interwebs:

    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:11:55 -0800, Evan Platt wrote:
    >
    >> Don't be angry at everyone else because you're the product of
    >> inbreeding. It's not our fault you're inbred and the reason pregnant
    >> women shouldn't do alcohol or drugs.

    > Proof you have? Neither of my parents were related by blood in any way.

    <BITCHSLAP!>

    So now you don't even think you're related to your own parents?
    What a dumbass you are! No wonder your parents have disowned you...
    St00pid the St00pid proves your parents named you after themselves.
    And their disowning of you proves that even farm animals have
    feelings of embarrassment about you being such a st00pid jerktard.
    ("Embarrassment" makes an "embarr" and an "ass-ment" out of you and
    you too - but you eat ass-mints now and save the embarr for later.)

    Take your gay-ass Windows Mail and spam someone who gives a shit...
    And then just STFU. Or go whine your silly st00pid ranting and
    raving over in news:24hoursupport.st00pid-desk

    HTH.

    --

    I AM Bucky Breeder, (*(^;
    and on the 'AWESOMENESS METER',

    You should not view the world in terms
    and finding acceptance of them as such.

    I could help you with that... but...
    I really just don't like you that much.

    Repent! The end is near.... Or, smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    And... good luck if there's an apocalypse.

    (And some condoms... because I wouldn't want to be the first guy who
    survives the apocolypse on Murray Povich staring at DNA child support.)

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 12, 2010
  20. don

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 23:22:17 -0500, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > richard the st00pid wrote:
    >
    >> Outlook Express is not available as a standalone program. It comes
    >> packaged with earlier versions of IE.

    > Does this mean .. does it really mean .... that OE uses IE to display
    > HTML messages? Was that your admission?

    He probably doesn't understand the inferences in what he wrote, and will
    now try to back-pedal to his original position.

    no hace mucho tiempo que vivía un hidalgo de los de lanza en
    astillero, adarga antigua, rocín flaco y galgo corredor."
    -Cervantes, 'Don Quixote'

    Aardvark, Nov 12, 2010