    be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?

    --
    Al Dykes

    Al Dykes, Sep 30, 2009

  2. No, it won't mean anything about virtualization one way or another. You'll
    need to know if the machine has a processor that supports hardware
    virtualization, and a BIOS that supports it as well.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 30, 2009

  3. Al Dykes

    Carlos Guest

    This web page has a comprehensive list of processors that support HW
    virtualization:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-xp-mode-virtualization-intel,7709.html
    Carlos

    Carlos, Sep 30, 2009
  4. Al Dykes

    G. Morgan Guest

    On 30 Sep 2009 12:43:15 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

    >Will the just-announced Windows 7 logo on a machine mean that it will
    >be able to run Intel or AMD virtualization given the Pro version of W7?

    From what I read, to get the logo the OEM machine must be capable of running
    all versions of Win7 including 64Bit (which excludes many netbooks).

    G. Morgan, Sep 30, 2009
  5. You can read about the Windows 7 Logo Program @
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd203105.aspx

    There are links to documentation, but I didn't find any requirement for
    hardware virtualization.

    Bobby Johnson, Sep 30, 2009
  6. Yes, but that is still no guarantee that the BIOS will support it.
    Especially on laptops, the processor alone isn't sufficient knowledge.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 1, 2009
  7. Al Dykes

    Jane C Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Yes, but that is still no guarantee that the BIOS will support it.
    > Especially on laptops, the processor alone isn't sufficient knowledge.

    <cough> Sony VAIO </cough> comes to mind there. Sony flatly refuse to
    support VT in the BIOS of quite a few of their VAIO range, much to the
    chagrin of those who have bought them. Their excuse is pitiful.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009

    Jane C, Oct 1, 2009
  8. Exactly! And they wonder why I won't buy a Vaio?

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 1, 2009