Windows 7 Keeps chanting date time

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by TMA, Mar 17, 2010.

  1. TMA

    TMA Guest

    Hello,

    I am located in Brazil and set my date/time defaults to Brasilia capital of
    brazil (UTC-03:00).

    When I go and synchronize my clock from the internet, any of the servers
    will give me the correct local time, but after a few minutes windows 7 will
    change the time to 3 hours before. Yes, always 3 hours exactly. Since my
    local time is about 1 hour in front of New York, 3 hours should be somewhere
    in US pacific time.

    I tried to leave the wrong time for 2 days, but the clock change wasn't
    recursive. In other words, once the clock is rolled back, it will remain 3
    hours wrong until I manually update from the internet. This also happens if
    I uncheck "Synchronize with internet time servers".

    I've checked all the settings that I know and everything is pointing to
    brazil, but this issue keeps coming back.

    Also no messages displayed when the clock changes even though "notify me
    when the clock changes" is checked.

    Maybe an application is changing it in the background? How can I track what
    exactly is changing the clock?

    Thanks in advance.
    TMA, Mar 17, 2010

  2. TMA

    Carlos Guest

    TMA,
    Have you tried changing the time server?
    I had issues lately (Buenos Aires time) with time.windows.com
    My PC's were always lagging 3 minutes.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 17, 2010

  3. TMA

    TMA Guest

    Yes, I tried changing servers. I even tried to uncheck internet updates.

    I think there's somewhere else setting the time zone to another place other
    than here because the difference is exactly 3 hours. As I said it seems to
    be putting me somewhere in the west coast of the US.

    I hope this is not due to my version of win7 is english, because I just hate
    translated versions (at least portuguese is really bad translated).

    Additionally, I think I changed the default time storage system a few weeks
    ago. Changed it to UFC system for compatibility reasons with linux karmic
    koala.

    Thx Carlos for the reply.

    TMA, Mar 20, 2010
  4. Windows 7 stores time in UTC and applies an offset according to your
    regional setting. Since your region time is UTC-3 the time is being
    reset to UTC.

    Have you installed an application which checks and resets the time -
    incorrectly - to UTC because it is not Windows 7 compatible?

    Dominic Payer, Mar 20, 2010
  5. TMA

    TMA Guest

    I guess so, yes. I don't remember exactly, but I think I did something.
    How can I fix it?

    TMA, Mar 26, 2010
  6. The only way is to find and disable the feature in or uninstall the
    application which is resetting the time.

    Dominic Payer, Mar 26, 2010