    Anyone know why the difference? Or is Microsoft just pushing it on
    some inattentive Win7 users to see if the install breaks?

    George

    George Neuner, Nov 17, 2013

  2. On Sunday, 17 November 2013 05:25:52 UTC, George Neuner wrote:
    > I've got several Win7 machines here, 32 and 64 bit. On some of them
    > IE 11 is listed as an optional update, on others it's listed as an
    > important update.
    >
    > Anyone know why the difference? Or is Microsoft just pushing it on
    > some inattentive Win7 users to see if the install breaks?

    I don't know but it seems to be implied on my PC and at
    <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/install-windows-updates>
    that it relates to whether automatic updating is on or off /or/
    to whether non-automatic Windows Update presents the update
    as checked to install, or not checked.

    On my Win 7-64 laptop, automatic update is off, and Internet Explorer 11
    appeared in the "Important" category, but unchecked, as far as I remember.
    At the same time there was at least one update for IE 10, checked.
    I assume that you wouldn't need both.

    Apparently IE 11 will be promoted to be installed automatically by
    default - on PCs that are configured to do that - in the near future,
    unless you install a special "blocker" utility released by Microsoft,
    first.

    Aside from the nuisance of doing it, and whether it works with
    particular software or web sites that you use, I don't know how
    to decide whether to install IE 11. I expect that IE 10 will
    live on for a while - certainly in Windows 8.0.

    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...indows-7-is-not-genuine?forum=genuinewindows7

    apparently describes the updates that a non-authenticated Windows 7
    isn't entitled to get as "optional".

    <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824684>, "Description of
    the standard terminology that is used to describe Microsoft
    software updates" doesn't include either of those terms.
    It includes "Security" and "Critical". "Critical" means that
    Windows is broken but not in a security-related way, although
    this terminology is just the sort of thing that gets changed
    around from one Windows release version to another.

    Wikipedia says "Microsoft has indicated that they will continue to
    deliver critical security updates through their Automatic Updates
    service as well as via the Microsoft Download Center, so that
    all systems, including those that fail to pass validation, will
    still continue to receive critical security updates."
    There doesn't seem to be a cited origin for this statement and
    I wonder if the person who wrote it was as unclear as I am,
    since it either implies that unvalidated systems get critical
    updates /and/ security updates, or that they get security updates
    (which are updates that are critical) but not critical updates
    (which are critical updates that are not security updates).

    Robert Carnegie, Nov 17, 2013

  3. On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 08:33:19 -0800 (PST), Robert Carnegie
    <> wrote:

    >On Sunday, 17 November 2013 05:25:52 UTC, George Neuner wrote:
    >> I've got several Win7 machines here, 32 and 64 bit. On some of them
    >> IE 11 is listed as an optional update, on others it's listed as an
    >> important update.
    >>
    >> Anyone know why the difference? Or is Microsoft just pushing it on
    >> some inattentive Win7 users to see if the install breaks?

    >I don't know but it seems to be implied on my PC and at
    ><http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/install-windows-updates>
    >that it relates to whether automatic updating is on or off /or/
    >to whether non-automatic Windows Update presents the update
    >as checked to install, or not checked.
    >
    >On my Win 7-64 laptop, automatic update is off, and Internet Explorer 11
    >appeared in the "Important" category, but unchecked, as far as I remember.

    Hmm ... it is unchecked on all of my systems.

    I have five Win7 computers here: various CPUs, a pair of 32-bit and
    three 64-bit, all running Home Premium. Update is configured the same
    on all of them: notify only, check Microsoft products, check for
    optional software.

    Two of the 64-bitters and one of the 32-bitters say IE11 is
    "important". The rest say it is "optional".

    I thought it might have to do with having Office and/or VisualStudio
    being installed, but I have machines taking opposite positions on
    this.

    >Aside from the nuisance of doing it, and whether it works with
    >particular software or web sites that you use, I don't know how
    >to decide whether to install IE 11. I expect that IE 10 will
    >live on for a while - certainly in Windows 8.0.
    >
    >http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/...indows-7-is-not-genuine?forum=genuinewindows7
    >
    >apparently describes the updates that a non-authenticated Windows 7
    >isn't entitled to get as "optional".

    All of these machines are legal - they all see optional updates. For
    the most part, modulo the CPU differences, they all receive
    corresponding updates.

    I suppose I eventually will install IE11 unless I hear screams of
    anguish from other Win7 users. At the moment I have no compelling
    reason to upgrade.

    Weird!
    George

    George Neuner, Nov 19, 2013
  4. <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dn449235>
    mentions other variables - whether the user is a
    local administrator (without which you won't see it
    at all), and whether Internet Explorer 11 was
    already installed and then removed - then it's
    optional. And that may include any preview edition.

    In the European Union, there's also the
    "Browser Choice" factor, so that you are prompted
    to choose for your default web browser to be
    Internet Explorer or some other product.
    That /might/ do this. In fact, changing default
    browser might do it outside the EU, too.

    And if you install IE 11, it may automatically
    appoint itself default again - I think all the
    others do...

    Conversely, installing or updating Adobe Flash
    (manually) is liable to put Google Chrome on
    as default browser - or threatens to, but I
    haven't allowed it. But you could do /that/
    accidentally.

    Robert Carnegie, Nov 19, 2013