    So, how can I get rid from this hard disc all those w7 files I've added, or
    as a minimum identify and delete the files that says I have the option to
    choose w7 at bootup?

    jsmith, Feb 14, 2010

  2. jsmith

    Mike Easter Guest

    jsmith wrote:

    > By mistake I loaded w7 onto a hard disk partition that I want to keep as XP.

    You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the partition
    boots XP, not win7.

    Does that mean that you booted up a win7 disk? Then what did you do (else)?

    > Now when booting I get a message I have to select either windows 7 or select
    > an earlier version of windows.
    > If I select w7 (which I think didn't load properly anyway) I get a black
    > screen, if select previous version the XP loads ok.
    > So, how can I get rid from this hard disc all those w7 files I've added, or
    > as a minimum identify and delete the files that says I have the option to
    > choose w7 at bootup?

    Maybe you can just repair the XP MBR.

    Get into the recovery console and use fixmbr. You can do that with the
    XP install CD.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 14, 2010

  3. jsmith

    jsmith Guest

    ============
    <You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the partition
    <boots XP, not win7.

    The hard drive partition (C) I currently use has XP installed...used it for
    years...do not want to loose any files etc on it.

    Just invested in Windows 7 Home Premium. Intended to install it onto another
    hard drive but by mistake clicked the C drive!...it seemed to install ok
    right up to the completing installation...then black screen. At this point
    realised my mistake.
    So turned off pc...turn on pc...get a message do I wish to boot using
    win7...or a previous version of Windows.
    Clicked w7....result black screen...
    ....tried again this time chose previous version of Windows (viz XP)...and XP
    loads ok.
    So what I'm trying to do is delete any W7 files I installed by mistake on
    the C drive..or at least stop throwing up the message at boot up giving me
    two choices of Windows...
    ....but...most important...don't want to loose stuff :)

    jsmith, Feb 14, 2010
  4. jsmith

    John Holmes Guest

    jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> jsmith wrote:
    >>
    >>> By mistake I loaded w7 onto a hard disk partition that I want to
    >>> keep as XP.

    >> You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the
    >> partition boots XP, not win7.
    >>
    >> Does that mean that you booted up a win7 disk? Then what did you do
    >> (else)?
    >>
    >>> Now when booting I get a message I have to select either windows 7
    >>> or select an earlier version of windows.
    >>> If I select w7 (which I think didn't load properly anyway) I get a
    >>> black screen, if select previous version the XP loads ok.
    >>> So, how can I get rid from this hard disc all those w7 files I've
    >>> added, or as a minimum identify and delete the files that says I
    >>> have the option to choose w7 at bootup?

    >> Maybe you can just repair the XP MBR.
    >>
    >> Get into the recovery console and use fixmbr. You can do that with
    >> the XP install CD.

    > ============
    > <You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the
    > partition <boots XP, not win7.
    >
    > The hard drive partition (C) I currently use has XP installed...used
    > it for years...do not want to loose any files etc on it.
    >
    > Just invested in Windows 7 Home Premium. Intended to install it onto
    > another hard drive but by mistake clicked the C drive!...it seemed to
    > install ok right up to the completing installation...then black
    > screen. At this point realised my mistake.
    > So turned off pc...turn on pc...get a message do I wish to boot using
    > win7...or a previous version of Windows.
    > Clicked w7....result black screen...
    > ...tried again this time chose previous version of Windows (viz
    > XP)...and XP loads ok.
    > So what I'm trying to do is delete any W7 files I installed by mistake
    > on the C drive..or at least stop throwing up the message at boot up
    > giving me two choices of Windows...
    > ...but...most important...don't want to loose stuff :)

    What happened when you followed Mike Easter's advise, which was, for
    once, correct?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2010
  5. jsmith

    jsmith Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    >>> You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the
    >>> partition boots XP, not win7.
    >>>
    >>> Does that mean that you booted up a win7 disk? Then what did you do
    >>> (else)?

    >>> Maybe you can just repair the XP MBR.
    >>>
    >>> Get into the recovery console and use fixmbr. You can do that with
    >>> the XP install CD.

    >> ============
    >> <You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the
    >> partition <boots XP, not win7.
    >>
    >> The hard drive partition (C) I currently use has XP installed...used
    >> it for years...do not want to loose any files etc on it.
    >>
    >> Just invested in Windows 7 Home Premium. Intended to install it onto
    >> another hard drive but by mistake clicked the C drive!...it seemed to
    >> install ok right up to the completing installation...then black
    >> screen. At this point realised my mistake.
    >> So turned off pc...turn on pc...get a message do I wish to boot using
    >> win7...or a previous version of Windows.
    >> Clicked w7....result black screen...
    >> ...tried again this time chose previous version of Windows (viz
    >> XP)...and XP loads ok.
    >> So what I'm trying to do is delete any W7 files I installed by mistake
    >> on the C drive..or at least stop throwing up the message at boot up
    >> giving me two choices of Windows...
    >> ...but...most important...don't want to loose stuff :)
    >>

    > What happened when you followed Mike Easter's advise, which was, for
    > once, correct?

    =========
    Haven't dared do it yet

    jsmith, Feb 14, 2010
  6. jsmith

    John Holmes Guest

    jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message

    >>> ============
    >>> <You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the
    >>> partition <boots XP, not win7.
    >>>
    >>> The hard drive partition (C) I currently use has XP installed...used
    >>> it for years...do not want to loose any files etc on it.
    >>>
    >>> Just invested in Windows 7 Home Premium. Intended to install it onto
    >>> another hard drive but by mistake clicked the C drive!...it seemed to
    >>> install ok right up to the completing installation...then black
    >>> screen. At this point realised my mistake.
    >>> So turned off pc...turn on pc...get a message do I wish to boot using
    >>> win7...or a previous version of Windows.
    >>> Clicked w7....result black screen...
    >>> ...tried again this time chose previous version of Windows (viz
    >>> XP)...and XP loads ok.
    >>> So what I'm trying to do is delete any W7 files I installed by

    mistake
    >>> on the C drive..or at least stop throwing up the message at boot up
    >>> giving me two choices of Windows...
    >>> ...but...most important...don't want to loose stuff :)
    >>>

    >> What happened when you followed Mike Easter's advise, which was, for
    >> once, correct?
    >>

    > =========
    > Haven't dared do it yet

    It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then run
    fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP bootloader.
    Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2010
  7. jsmith

    > jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >>> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > mistake
    >>>>

    >>> What happened when you followed Mike Easter's advise, which was, for
    >>> once, correct?
    >>>

    >> =========
    >> Haven't dared do it yet
    >>

    > It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then run
    > fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP bootloader.
    > Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    Thanks for that....and fixboot and fixmbr won't mess with my various files
    and programs etc?

    jsmith, Feb 14, 2010
  8. jsmith

    philo Guest

    jsmith wrote:
    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>
    >>> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message

    >> mistake

    >>> =========
    >>> Haven't dared do it yet
    >>>

    >> It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then run
    >> fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP bootloader.
    >> Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    > Thanks for that....and fixboot and fixmbr won't mess with my various files
    > and programs etc?

    You were given correct advice

    but a safe and easy way to do it is simply delete the win7 folder

    then run msconfig and have it check all boot paths

    and remove the invalid one

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

    philo, Feb 14, 2010
  9. jsmith

    jsmith Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message
    > jsmith wrote:
    >> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >>> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> mistake

    >>> It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then run
    >>> fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP bootloader.
    >>> Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    >> Thanks for that....and fixboot and fixmbr won't mess with my various
    >> files and programs etc?
    >>

    > You were given correct advice
    >
    > but a safe and easy way to do it is simply delete the win7 folder
    >
    > then run msconfig and have it check all boot paths
    >
    > and remove the invalid one
    >

    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

    ------------------
    Thing is haven't got a folder entitled win7...so I'm not sure where all the
    win7 files are...how do I locate them?

    jsmith, Feb 14, 2010
  10. jsmith

    John Holmes Guest

    jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message

    >> mistake

    >>> =========
    >>> Haven't dared do it yet
    >>>

    >> It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then
    >> run fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP
    >> bootloader. Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    > Thanks for that....and fixboot and fixmbr won't mess with my various
    > files and programs etc?

    No, all files and programs will be intact. Fixboot / fixmbr only replaces
    the boot loader, ie the startup message to choose an OS wil be gone and
    you're back in your original XP configuration. From this state, you can
    delete the folders that the Win7 installation created.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2010
  11. jsmith

    John Holmes Guest

    jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> jsmith wrote:
    >>> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message

    >>> ==========================================================
    >>> Thanks for that....and fixboot and fixmbr won't mess with my various
    >>> files and programs etc?
    >>>

    >> You were given correct advice
    >>
    >> but a safe and easy way to do it is simply delete the win7 folder
    >>
    >> then run msconfig and have it check all boot paths
    >>
    >> and remove the invalid one
    >>

    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

    > ------------------
    > Thing is haven't got a folder entitled win7...so I'm not sure where
    > all the win7 files are...how do I locate them?

    OMFG. You've installed 7 in your original XP folder, haven't you?

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Feb 14, 2010
  12. jsmith

    > jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "philo" <> wrote in message

    >>> You were given correct advice
    >>>
    >>> but a safe and easy way to do it is simply delete the win7 folder
    >>>
    >>> then run msconfig and have it check all boot paths
    >>>
    >>> and remove the invalid one
    >>>

    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/bootopt.htm

    >> ------------------
    >> Thing is haven't got a folder entitled win7...so I'm not sure where
    >> all the win7 files are...how do I locate them?
    >>

    > OMFG. You've installed 7 in your original XP folder, haven't you?
    >
    > -- ===========

    Yes!...is that bad? ...will still be ok for me to go ahead with Fixboot /
    fixmbr?
    Thanks

    jsmith, Feb 14, 2010
  13. jsmith

    Mike Easter Guest

    jsmith wrote:
    > "John Holmes"

    >>> ------------------
    >>> Thing is haven't got a folder entitled win7...so I'm not sure where
    >>> all the win7 files are...how do I locate them?
    >>>

    >> OMFG. You've installed 7 in your original XP folder, haven't you?
    >>
    >> -- ===========

    > Yes!...is that bad?

    This Yes! needs to be investigated.

    The link above posted earlier about boot.ini tells how to use msconfig
    to check all boot paths.

    Since you said that the bootloader shows 2 OSes, then the bootpath
    checker will also show 2 entries and their path.

    Normally those paths are shown to be on different partitions. In your
    case you are saying that the XP entry leads to XP and the Win7 entry
    fails. The bootpath checker will show the path of the Win7 entry that
    fails.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 14, 2010
  14. jsmith

    Dan C Guest

    On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:24:51 +0000, jsmith wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> jsmith wrote:
    >>
    >>> By mistake I loaded w7 onto a hard disk partition that I want to keep
    >>> as XP.

    >> You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the partition
    >> boots XP, not win7.
    >>
    >> Does that mean that you booted up a win7 disk? Then what did you do
    >> (else)?
    >>
    >>> Now when booting I get a message I have to select either windows 7 or
    >>> select an earlier version of windows. If I select w7 (which I think
    >>> didn't load properly anyway) I get a black screen, if select previous
    >>> version the XP loads ok. So, how can I get rid from this hard disc all
    >>> those w7 files I've added, or as a minimum identify and delete the
    >>> files that says I have the option to choose w7 at bootup?

    >> Maybe you can just repair the XP MBR.
    >>
    >> Get into the recovery console and use fixmbr. You can do that with the
    >> XP install CD.

    > ============
    > <You 'loaded' win7? What does that mean? It sounds like the partition
    > <boots XP, not win7.
    >
    > The hard drive partition (C) I currently use has XP installed...used it
    > for years...do not want to loose any files etc on it.
    >
    > Just invested in Windows 7 Home Premium. Intended to install it onto
    > another hard drive but by mistake clicked the C drive!...it seemed to
    > install ok right up to the completing installation...then black screen.
    > At this point realised my mistake.
    > So turned off pc...turn on pc...get a message do I wish to boot using
    > win7...or a previous version of Windows. Clicked w7....result black
    > screen...
    > ...tried again this time chose previous version of Windows (viz
    > XP)...and XP loads ok.
    > So what I'm trying to do is delete any W7 files I installed by mistake
    > on the C drive..or at least stop throwing up the message at boot up
    > giving me two choices of Windows...
    > ...but...most important...don't want to loose stuff :)

    What we have here, folks, is a textbook, classic example of the Windoze-
    user. Completely and utterly *clueless*, and destined to stay that way
    forever, regardless of any attempts to educate/help. Don't even waste
    your time on this fucking retard. He should just format all his hard
    drives and go back and start over at the 4th grade level.

    Bugger off, dimwit.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he dressed up like Santa and grabbed his axe.
    Thanks, Obama: http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/obama_thanks.jpg

    Dan C, Feb 14, 2010
  15. On your C drive you will probably have 2 windows folders, windows and
    windows00 check for something like that.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MVP, Feb 14, 2010
  16. jsmith

    chuckcar Guest

    John Holmes <> wrote in

    > jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >>> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > mistake
    >>>>

    >>> What happened when you followed Mike Easter's advise, which was, for
    >>> once, correct?
    >>>

    >> =========
    >> Haven't dared do it yet
    >>

    > It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then run
    > fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP bootloader.
    > Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    Folder? it isn't a folder - or more correctly a *directory*, it's a hard
    drive partition.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Feb 14, 2010
  17. jsmith

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 08:25:43 -0000, jsmith wrote:

    > Yes, how to un install windows 7 software?
    > By mistake I loaded w7 onto a hard disk partition that I want to keep as XP.
    > Now when booting I get a message I have to select either windows 7 or select
    > an earlier version of windows.
    > If I select w7 (which I think didn't load properly anyway) I get a black
    > screen, if select previous version the XP loads ok.
    > So, how can I get rid from this hard disc all those w7 files I've added, or
    > as a minimum identify and delete the files that says I have the option to
    > choose w7 at bootup?

    Is system restore active? If it is, restore back to day one and try again.

    richard, Feb 14, 2010
  18. jsmith

    duckstandard Guest

    jsmith wrote:
    > Yes, how to un install windows 7 software?
    > By mistake I loaded w7 onto a hard disk partition that I want to keep as XP.
    > Now when booting I get a message I have to select either windows 7 or select
    > an earlier version of windows.
    > If I select w7 (which I think didn't load properly anyway) I get a black
    > screen, if select previous version the XP loads ok.
    > So, how can I get rid from this hard disc all those w7 files I've added, or
    > as a minimum identify and delete the files that says I have the option to
    > choose w7 at bootup?

    There should be two windows folders. One may be named windows1or
    something like that, open them both up.
    My win7 has folders named branding, digital locker, ehome,
    globalization, ime, l2schemas, livekernelreports,
    modemlogs, panther, pla registration, schchache

    I don't think any of these are in winxp. So if you compare them and
    they are different you can delete the entire windows folder with the
    folders mentioned above. There should be only a few few extra files
    than that.

    You can likely right click suspect folder and check when they were
    created to the others and decide if they are OK to delete.

    You can then edit the boot.ini file I beleive it's called or use the
    msconfig or fixmbr options mentioned in this thread.

    My understanding is you have the windows directory installed and the
    boot.ini just tells it how to boot windows
    or the windows versions.

    If anybody could confirm this I would like to know if I am correct. I
    had win 7 install into the xp partition when I was sure I was
    installing into another partition, and believe this is all I did to
    repair the issue.

    And for what it's worth if you haven't used win7 you may like that
    better. I like it better than xp in many ways

    duckstandard, Feb 15, 2010
  19. jsmith

    > jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >>> jsmith "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> mistake

    >>> It's a harmless exercise. Boot from the XP CD, select repair. Then
    >>> run fixboot and fixmbr, these will replace your original XP
    >>> bootloader. Reboot and delete the folder where you installed Win7.

    >> Thanks for that....and fixboot and fixmbr won't mess with my various
    >> files and programs etc?
    >>

    > No, all files and programs will be intact. Fixboot / fixmbr only replaces
    > the boot loader, ie the startup message to choose an OS wil be gone and
    > you're back in your original XP configuration. From this state, you can
    > delete the folders that the Win7 installation created.
    >
    > --
    > <snip>
    > =====

    Many thanks for that...and thanks for all who helped. Bottom line is..yes
    did find a folder in which were all the w7 files...all now sorted. Thanks
    again.

    jsmith, Feb 17, 2010