    Hello All
    From memory you could install vista without a product key and use it for 60 days or so, is
    windows 7 the same?

    Thanks Lee
    spock, Oct 27, 2009

  2. Yes.
    But you can only have a trial of the version the disk is for.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 27, 2009

  3. spock

    Carlos Guest

    You can install it without a key and then you will have a 30 day period until
    activation becomes imperative.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 27, 2009
  4. You can do this with a Full version of Win 7, but not an Upgrade version.

    Bobby Johnson, Oct 27, 2009
  5. spock

    Carlos Guest

    Carlos, Oct 27, 2009
  6. spock

    David B. Guest

    Not correct

    David B., Oct 27, 2009
  7. spock

    David B. Guest

    Unless of course you use the well documented feature to reset the grace
    period.

    David B., Oct 27, 2009
  8. spock

    Carlos Guest

    The "rearm trick" is still functional, that's correct.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 27, 2009
  9. spock

    spock Guest

    Thanks to those replied, however I tried to install it but but I keep getting the bsod
    something about parirty error.
    The seems screwy I have xp x64 installed on another drive and that does not give me any
    problems, I even changed out the ram
    no difference could it be just the drive, the installtion got to the stage where it boots
    from the hard drive then it fell over withh bsod.

    Any ideas?

    spock, Oct 27, 2009
  10. spock

    David B. Guest

    What is the exact error message?

    David B., Oct 27, 2009
  11. spock

    spock Guest

    I did not write down where do I find it without having reboot my machine.

    spock, Oct 27, 2009
  12. spock

    Carlos Guest

    spock,
    The usual stuff.
    Make sure all your BIOS settings are not overclocking your memory and/or
    processor.
    Unplug as many devices as you can either external or internal.
    I would only leave the DVD drive, hard drive and video card.
    No printer, no USB gizmos, no sound card or chipset.
    The start with a clean install from scratch.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 27, 2009
  13. spock

    spock Guest

    I have supermicro motherboard C2SBX and you can NOT overclock it
    I have two drives c: which I have tried to install windows 7 and drive d
    which has my workingP X64 I can not format drive c: without losing use of my drive d:

    spock, Oct 27, 2009
  14. spock

    Carlos Guest

    spock,
    In fact you can but you need some expertise with EasyBCD.
    It is risky if you don't know how to do it.
    Before attempting anything I would make first of all a full image backup of
    your current state.
    What would follow next?
    1.- Start Win 7 install from its DVD.
    2.- Format "C" and proceed with install.
    3.- XP x64 should be visible in the boot menu after the installation has
    ended.
    If "3" is not true you can always recreate it by running EasyBCD from Win 7.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Oct 27, 2009
  15. spock

    spock Guest

    Well I formated the drive but the only thing I found my boot drive was about to fail,
    So I tried another drive no dice so I put xp x64 back on. That got a bsod during the
    reboot but after I rebooted a second time it completed just fine.

    After I reinstalled windows 7 on another drive I rebooted the machine several times,
    did not make a scrap of difference.

    spock, Nov 1, 2009