    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 26, 2009

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    Certainly good news!
    Is it available in build 7100 (release candidate)?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 26, 2009

  3. The reports I have seen say it will be a separate download, but
    available only to Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate.
    http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/bu...n-windows-xp-mode-and-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

    The screenshots at
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/xp_mode_pre_shots.asp suggest it has
    useful USB ability.

    If it is not available to Home Premium, consumers with legacy printers
    and scanners will need a dual boot or non-Microsoft virtualisation
    solution or have to buy new peripherals.

    Dominic Payer, Apr 26, 2009
  4. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carlos Guest

    Dominic,
    Thanks for the info.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 27, 2009
  5. I honestly am not permitted to answer that question, Carlos. But usually
    when we see a bunch of releases to the media like this, just before the
    release of a major milestone build, it's something that will be available
    for, or in, the milestone build. But, of course, that's purely speculation.
    ;)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 27, 2009
  6. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Guest

    In <>, "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> writes:
    >It looks like Windows 7 will have a Virtual XP machine directly embedded in
    >it.
    >http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/archive/2009/04/26/windows-7-and-virtual-pc.aspx.
    >It's too early to have all the details yet, but as soon as we can see/talk
    >about them, I'll have more to post. But this validates what I've been
    >suggesting for quite a while - use virtualization and a legacy OS instead of
    >setting up a dual boot, which has all kinds of problems. Of course, the
    >devil will be in the details, but stay tuned.
    >
    >--
    >Charlie.
    >http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
    >http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel

    Yes, I still use DOS applications in emulated DOS, but XP Pro x64 appears not to
    support DOS apps.

    , Apr 27, 2009
  7. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carol Steele Guest

    What I would like to know is what happens if you happen to be running the
    64-bit version of Windows 7 - does it use the Windows XP 32-bit or Windows XP
    64-bit virtual machine. To run legacy applications, it would be imperative
    that it is the Windows XP (32-bit) machine.

    Carol Steele, Apr 27, 2009
  8. As you point out, for legacy application support, it would need to run
    Windows XP 32-bit. And given the difficulty Microsoft has had getting 64-bit
    guest support into their virtualization solutions (so far, only Hyper-V
    supports 64-bit guests), I would expect this to support XP 32-bit for the
    guest. Given the terse nature of the public post, I can't go beyond that
    speculation.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 27, 2009
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carol Steele Guest

    Thanks Charlie - I realise that you would probably be breaking your NDA if
    you went further, but what you have said is reassuring. Do you have any idea
    (or are able to say) will it be part of the RC version (7100) which is due
    for public appraisal around 9th May?? Or will it be released as a separate
    entity later on during the beta phase??

    Carol Steele, Apr 27, 2009
  10. I have no idea other than what has been publicly said. At least one site
    that apparently doesn't have the same NDA I do says that it will be a
    separate download but available on or about the same time as the RC public
    download. I have no idea how accurate that information is, and if I did, I
    couldn't say.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 27, 2009
  11. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Carol Steele Guest

    Thanks again Charlie, I will look forward to trying it out when it becomes
    available.

    Carol Steele, Apr 27, 2009
  12. If I remember correctly, this fact has been hashed out many times
    before. That's when you use a Virtual Machine.

    Bobby Johnson, Apr 28, 2009
  13. You are correct. NO 64-bit version of Windows supports DOS applications. The
    easy solution is to create a virtual DOS machine or other VM that supports
    DOS and run the DOS application in that. What XP Mode will apparently do is
    expose applications to the host machine using something that looks
    remarkably like TS RemoteApps (TS RAIL). This will certainly simplify the
    whole solution, but not provide anything that we haven't been able to do for
    quite some time, though without the TS RAIL part. All in all, I'm looking
    forward to seeing this in the RC.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 28, 2009
  14. See http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/xp_mode_preview.asp

    Dominic Payer, Apr 28, 2009
  15. I am continually annoyed and angered that some sites are allowed to talk WAY
    before anyone else is. My NDA won't let me say anything, but they can
    completely ignore an embargo on information with impunity. I won't go to his
    site, and I won't send anyone there.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 30, 2009
  16. Charlie Russel - MVP

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:00:47 -0700, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:

    >I honestly am not permitted to answer that question, Carlos. But usually
    >when we see a bunch of releases to the media like this, just before the
    >release of a major milestone build, it's something that will be available
    >for, or in, the milestone build. But, of course, that's purely speculation.
    >;)

    It's all over in the news now Charlie :)
    XPM, to help smaller companies with the transition to Windows 7.

    I'm having a blast with W7, works like a charm!

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 2, 2009
  17. Yup, it is. And yes, I have been using the new Windows Virtual PC 7 for a
    while now, and I like it a lot. I wish it did 64-bit guests, but I
    completely understand that this was not a design requirement. The whole
    point was to provide a compatibility solution that was as transparent as
    possible, and this does a very good job of that. The inclusion or RAIL
    technology really helps. And the USB access in the VM is a welcome addition.

    I'm running both a virtual Windows Vista, and the Virtual XP machine. One
    change I made was to up the RAM for the virtual XP machine to 512, and I
    think it is a good deal faster as a result.

    Overall, I've got some issues, but none that are deal breakers. And who
    knows, those may well get fixed by ship. I will definitely be using this on
    my main workstation.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2009
  18. Personally, I'd rebuild the XP x64 partition as a Win7 one, and load the
    Virtual XP machine in that for anything that has problems. (No it won't
    solve your Haupauge problem, I'm afraid. But there are cards that work with
    64-bit now, and it's time for an upgrade. <g>)

    Run Windows Easy Transfer from the Win7 DVD before you blow away the XP x64,
    and then run again when you install. I'm not sure how much it will save from
    XP x64, but every little bit helps. (From Vista to Win7 or build to build in
    Win7 WET does a great job. Just not sure about XP x64.)

    The other change I'd make is to create a "data" partition, and put all your
    Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos on that partition. This makes upgrade
    or recovery scenarios MUCH easier and safer.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 3, 2009
  19. How do you increase the RAM in Virtual XP? The download has no help
    file and I have been trying to figure out how to do this.

    Bobby Johnson, May 3, 2009
  20. The Hauppauge WinTV viewing software does not (yet) work with Windows 7.

    If there are Hauppauge x64 Vista drivers for your card it should work
    fine with Windows Media Center in Windows 7.

    Dominic Payer, May 3, 2009