Windows 7 Hack: Playing with "GodMode"

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ablang, Jan 23, 2010.

  1. Ablang

    Ablang Guest

    Windows 7 Hack: Playing with "GodMode"

    David Ayala, PCWorld

    Jan 22, 2010 10:48 am

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/187470/windows_7_hack_playing_with_godmode.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

    Have you ever wondered what else lies under the hood of that new
    Windows 7 laptop you got recently? The clever folks at CNET have
    found a simple hack that will grant access to all of those options in
    one easy-to-set-up shortcut.

    The aptly named GodMode is a built-in, yet unadvertised feature in
    Windows 7 that gathers all Windows utilities in one spot. To access
    it, simply create a new folder and name it:

    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

    And that's it! Open it up and you'll find access to display options,
    backup/recovery, power management and more. This is a useful trick for
    those of you that easily forget where to access the defragmenter or
    the device managager. You may even find a useful utility you didn't
    know existed.

    For quite a few years now, Microsoft has tinkered with its Control
    Panel in order to provide a robust set of options in an elegant and
    accessible package. GodMode is certainly not the solution to that
    problem. By throwing all of the settings into one spot, it's more akin
    to organized confusion than friendly accessibility. GodMode probably
    won't work too well for Grandma, but for those of you that get giddy
    at the thought of tweaking your settings, you might want to get this
    shortcut up on your desktop.

    If you want to find out more ways to optimize your Windows 7
    experience, check out PCWorld's 10 Essential Windows 7 Downloads and
    The Greatest Windows Tips of All Time.

    [via CNET]
    Ablang, Jan 23, 2010

  2. If you read the books published about Windows 7 you will find all the
    "hidden" features. I have read the books with all the "secrets" since
    MS-DOS and virtually all the "hidden" features and "secrets" have been
    "exposed" in those books.

    Absolutely nothing new or exciting about the below exposé!

    Bobby Johnson, Jan 23, 2010

  3. Bobby Johnson wrote:
    > If you read the books published about Windows 7 you will find all the
    > "hidden" features. I have read the books with all the "secrets"
    > since MS-DOS and virtually all the "hidden" features and "secrets"
    > have been "exposed" in those books.

    They have never been "hidden." They are simply not available by default
    because most users won't need or understand them.
    --
    Crash

    "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
    ~ W. Edwards Deming ~
    Dave \Crash\ Dummy, Jan 23, 2010