Windows 7 goes weird on me! NO INTERNET!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    I'm running the beta and today I wanted to try a new bit of software so
    I booted into Win7 (I'm booting XP Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Win7 with
    Vista being the default and getting 99.9% of the use) and the very
    first thing I got was a notice that the trial had expired and I had to
    activate???????

    OK, it activated with no problem. Next, my desktop had changed, I put
    it all back like I had it before...

    Next, it wanted to download updates and, once again all the language
    packs I'd hidden were un-hidden? Hid them all again and did the
    updates, and rebooted. How did it un-hide them?

    Next, I clicked on IE and had no internet access at all! The icon at
    the bottom says it's all OK, device manager says my Realtek lan is
    installed properly....

    Tried a bunch of things including system restore, no luck (no restore
    points! Where did they go?)

    Windows update works, I can get email and newsgroups so I DO have an
    internet connection but IE won't work???? There are no error messages,
    it opens a blank page and just sits there, can't open my router page,
    can't open the cable modem page, can't open anything.

    It DID work, last time I booted into Windows 7, a couple of weeks back,
    I had no problems going to Google or any other site? So what happened?
    It's acting like a fresh install except the fresh install had internet
    access.

    NOTE: Please do NOT tell me to Google for an answer, refer to the NO
    INTERNET in the title, OK? Odds are next time I check this group I'll
    be running Windows 7 and won't be able to Google or open any links,
    I'll need an answer contained completely in the reply! Thanks.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org
    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009

  2. XS11E

    Dennis Pack Guest

    XS11E:
    Have you tried to open IE with no add-ons (in accessories/system tools)
    to see if an add-on is the cause. Is anything else acting corrupted or just
    IE? Have a great day.
    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 RC x64

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4318 (20090808) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Dennis Pack, Aug 9, 2009

  3. XS11E

    Bogey Man Guest

    Right click on a page in IE and check the encoding. I found several pages
    using IE 8 that showed some weird encoding and I changed that to Windows
    Encoding and all appeared properly.

    Good luck

    --
    Ron

    Bogey Man, Aug 9, 2009
  4. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Bogey Man" <> wrote:

    > Right click on a page in IE and check the encoding. I found
    > several pages using IE 8 that showed some weird enc

    I don't have a page in IE to click!

    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009
  5. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Dennis Pack" <> wrote:

    > XS11E:
    > Have you tried to open IE with no add-ons (in
    > accessories/system tools)
    > to see if an add-on is the cause.

    Yes, doesn't help.

    > Is anything else acting corrupted or just IE? Have a great day.

    As I said, EVERYTHING acted corrupted but now it all seems to be fixed
    and only IE won't work.

    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009
  6. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > "Dennis Pack" <> wrote:
    >
    >> XS11E:
    >> Have you tried to open IE with no add-ons (in
    >> accessories/system tools)
    >> to see if an add-on is the cause.

    > Yes, doesn't help.
    >
    >> Is anything else acting corrupted or just IE? Have a great day.

    > As I said, EVERYTHING acted corrupted but now it all seems to be
    > fixed and only IE won't work.

    NOTE: Just installed Firefox, it's working perfectly. It's ONLY IE
    apparently?

    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009
  7. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    Went to Control Panel/Internet Options, it won't open.

    It's beginning to look as if IE isn't installed properly?

    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009
  8. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > XS11E <> wrote:
    >

    > Went to Control Panel/Internet Options, it won't open.
    >
    > It's beginning to look as if IE isn't installed properly?

    Hmmmmm..... removed all 4 of the Windows Updatess I'd received and IE
    is now working. Trial and error will tell me which one, I guess?

    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009
  9. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > Hmmmmm..... removed all 4 of the Windows Updatess I'd received and
    > IE is now working. Trial and error will tell me which one, I
    > guess?

    KB972260, cumulative update for IE8 is the guilty party, I've hidden it
    and all is well.

    XS11E, Aug 9, 2009